IGNORED

how do "you" define high, low, mid handicap golfers?

clearwaterms
Note: This thread is 2926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

BTW I love clambakes explanation of each of his handicap ranges even if I slightly disagree with his range of what he considers a mid handicap The reasons outlined though are spot on for golf at those particular levels of golf.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

• Administrator

F.Y.I.. According to Dr Bob Rotella. The average H/C for American males is 16.9 if I remember correctly.. Also F.Y.I. it was the same before the in introduction of all the new technology gear.

What does that tell you?

It tells me that you're using outdated information.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/35971/what-the-usga-and-club-manufacturers-dont-want-you-to-know/18#post_463168

Despite decades of naysayers and experts alike suggesting that the average handicap is not dropping, has not dropped and never will drop, the fact is, it has. Let's say that again: The average handicap of all golfers -- men, women and children -- has decreased consistently for the past 15 years. The average handicap today is two strokes better than it was in the early 1990s, according to research provided to Golf Digest by the USGA's Golf Handicap & Information Network (GHIN).

The link to that quote is provided above.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it is all relative to your skill level. I see myself as a "low" handicap but do not think I am incredible, just above average, others think differently, handicap wise I think 1-10 is low, 10-20 is mid, and 20+ is high. But relative to who is good for me is anyone better than me I view as good, and it would be the same way if I was a 20 handicap. I don't view people worse than me as bad, a bad golfer in my opinion is sometimes not always based on their scores, more on their knowledge of golf, how they act on the course, things like that, my grandfather is 70 sum years old and a 25 handicap, but I don't think he's bad, because he was once good and understands the game and plays it with integrity and how it's supposed to be played. If somebody was 20 years old and a 25 handicap who threw their club around and stepped in peoples lines, things of that nature I might view him as a bad golfer. It is easier to view someone as bad if they act poorly on the course.

FT Optiforce 440 Diamana S+, Nike covert tour Kuro Kage, Mizuno MP54 4-PW, Vokey SM5 52 56 60, Odyssey White Ice #2

low - serious golfer on 16 oz energy drink.  Counts all the strokes.

mid - regular golfer on bottle water.  Counts most strokes.

high - not-so-serious golfer on 6 packs or something better.  Counts all the drinks.  It's truly an handicap.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

By comparison, the rest of us all suck! The people that beat me are better than I am. Those that I beat are worse. That's all I really care about. For those that haven't played with one, I will offer that someone that honestly plays off a "+" handicap is just stupid good.

I have played with two pros (who play for a living) before and they are just "stupid good." I don't know what their handicaps would be, but they just hardly mess up. And when they did, the recovery was no problem. For example, hitting a shot out of dense woods off pine needles through a small opening towards the top of some trees and drawing it onto the green from like 150yds... executed perfectly. Yeah, "stupid good."

• 2 years later...

To me, a low handicap is a single-digit player. Obviously there is a great deal of variation in the quality of players in this group - a scratch golfer is infinitely better than a 9 handicap - but at this point, you are able to play pretty well. You are surely hitting the ball 200+ yards off the tee and hitting the fairway a considerable amount of the time. You are likely able to work the ball both ways and have some sense of course management. Your touch around the greens is probably pretty good (getting out of the sand in one shot most of the time, decent lag putting, reliable chipping/pitching). If you can shoot in the 70's or low 80's, I'd definitely consider you a seasoned golfer. 

After this point, the line begins to blur a bit. I know a handful of 11, 12 and 13 handicaps who are solid, consistent players than can carve it around pretty well out there, and even occasionally get it into the 70's. I would also consider these types of individuals as  "seasoned golfers". But generally speaking, if you are in the 10-20 handicap range, I would classify you as a mid-handicap. You are more prone to making the mistakes a single digit player wouldn't (ie. more three putts, more frequent chunks/skulls/mishits, more inconsistent off the tee). Your course management skills probably aren't quite as sharp and it costs you strokes around the course. Consistency may be an issue (following 3 pars in a row with back-to-back doubles). You likely make relatively few birdies in a round and less pars than a low handicapper. But you definitely wouldn't hold up play and can play some impressive golf at times. If you are a "bogey golfer", I would still say you are pretty good.

If you are a 20+ handicap, I would say you have a high handicap. But again, this is a pretty broad statement as a 21 handicap and a 36 handicap are only moderately comparable. A 21 handicap has the capacity to hit some quality golf shots throughout the round and shoot some decent scores, whereas a 36 handicap probably isn't hitting too many good ones and struggles to post a low number. However, the inconsistencies at this level remain consistent. You are likely very unpredictable off the tee and around the greens. You probably don't get a tremendous amount of distance with your shots and lack the ability to control trajectory or shape the ball. Your course management skills are still developing. In most cases, you lack the technique it takes to consistently get out of the sand or the trees in one shot. Your ugly shots are indeed very ugly. You might throw the odd par in the mix, but big numbers are inevitable. Par 5's are likely your nemesis while better players probably view them as "scoring opportunities". Your swing mechanics and basic golf fundamentals don't allow you to deal with on-course obstacles such as fairway bunkers or heavy rough very well. That being said, improvements can be made fairly quickly by golfers in this group. It is a lot easier to go from a 25 handicap to a 16 than it is to go from an 8 handicap to a 4.

(SIDE NOTE: No matter what your handicap is, selecting the correct tees that best suit your level of play is vitally important and something that is often overlooked. I frequently see mid and high handicappers heading to the "blue tees" when they would benefit far more by playing one or two tee-boxes further up. In my opinion, if you are a 30+ handicap, you should be playing the forward tees regardless of your gender. This would speed up play and you would enjoy yourself more out there. I am a huge supporter of the "Tee It Forward" campaign that was instigated a few years ago, and integrated its principles into my own golfing experiences. As a relatively short-hitting 7 handicap, I find it a lot more fun shooting 76 from tees that play 5800 yards than I do shooting 86 from tees that play 6800 yards. I am able to hit some of the Par-5's in two, be more aggressive with my approach shots, and attack the odd risk/reward Par-4. Give it a try next time you play a new course - you will definitely surprise yourself!)

Note: This thread is 2926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!