IGNORED

Tee Height

Neco
Note: This thread is 5517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was at the driving range yesterday and something strange happened to me.

I usually drive with the smaller 2 3/4 inch tees.

I go out to the range and find about 3 or 4 of the mega tall tees which make the ball site higher then the club face. I test one out and I launch the ball in a great trajectory and slam it literally 25 yards farther then one of my normal drives (250-270). I try it again and hit the ball even further.

These tees are extremely big and it almost feels like I'm taking a baseball swing at it because it is sitting so high.

Any suggestions on tee height?

P.S.- It was located in the same spot in my stance as the smaller tees.

Driver - Taylor Made 09 Burner.
3 Wood - Callaway Diablo.
Hybrid Irons - Adams A30S
Wedges - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled. 56*, 60* Taylormade Rac.
Putter - Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1.

I keep it at the pretty standard 1/2 ball over the clubface.

However, if you see consistent positive results with that tee height, I'd would be a good idea to stick with it.

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

I have had exactly the same experience and now tee higher consistently with much improvement in my drives. Here is my explanation. What you describe as a baseball swing (which is exactly how it felt to me) is really a more horizontal swing than you were used to. And is probably better suited to the length of the driver. And probably results in a better 1-plane swing. My own drives are now straighter, higher, and longer. But it takes a while for it to feel natural.

1/2 ball above crown for me. I would imagine if you go too high, you'll start swinging quite flat and around your body -> hook. Bit like hitting off a ball-above-feet lie.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was at the driving range yesterday and something strange happened to me.

As posted, conventional wisdom says the equator of the ball should be at the top of the dirver face; in other words 1/2 a ball above the crown of the driver. Now many pros will tell you, the further you want to hit it, tee it up higher. IMO this makes sure that you won't drag the club head on the ground thereby maintaining club head speed. I also think, (IMO), that this will also put your head behind the ball so when the driver face makes contact with your ball you are in a "power position".

BUT, what does it matter if it works? Seems to me that you now have another trick in the bag, which is a good thing. Just my thoughts.

My suggestion is whatever tee height you used at the range. Why would you try something else? I have found that tee height vairies with the driver used. I have a Taylor Made Burner now and probably tee it between a 1/2" to 1" lower than my last driver with great results. Your experiment has paid off. Keep it that way.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

I think I'll just use those tees from now on!

Driver - Taylor Made 09 Burner.
3 Wood - Callaway Diablo.
Hybrid Irons - Adams A30S
Wedges - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled. 56*, 60* Taylormade Rac.
Putter - Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1.

I got a set of those BrushT a few months back and they have really made a big difference. Unlike the conventional tees, the BrushT gives you the exact same length everytime. You don't have to worry about if the ball is too high or too low. I normally use the yellow one (3 1/4in I believe) for my driver. My driving is a lot more consistent now, and the BrushT is durable so you don't have to buy new tees all the time!!!

Driver: Callaway Octane Tour 9.5* w/ Oban Tour Prototype Stiff
3 Wood: Titleist 909F2 15.5* w/ Oban Revenge Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea A7 3H 4H
Iron: Mizuno MP-52 Project X 5.5 5-PW
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52* 56* 60*Putter: Odyssey Black Series #1Bag: Callaway Warbird Stand Bag

Tee it HIGH or low

Really interesting article. Thanks for the link.

UPDATE: In the other Tee Height thread, I said that when I switched from a super low tee height to a high one, my 200 yard stinger turned into a 240 yard bomb with a nice trajectory. It worked for about 20-30 holes or so? Then I began to shank it. Maybe I was swinging too hard, or maybe my swing was just beginning to naturally bottom out lower to the ground since I began to pop it up. I now tee it slightly above mid-tee height range. I lost some yards, but at least my trajectory returned and I'm getting it out there again. However, I'm so new to the game it seems as if stuff like tee height and ball position change every day, and I have to figure out what the correct positions are on the range before I play my round.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!