IGNORED

Can't find exact rule

Hoselrockets
Note: This thread is 5515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is a very important question and a beer is on the line. I know if you address the ball and intend to hit the ball but swing and miss you must count a stroke right? Well it happened today and I said no you had a 6 because you intended to hit the ball but missed?

Am I correct?

What is the exact USGA rule so I can have my proof for my brewski?

Thanks.

In my bag:
MP 57's 4-PW KBS Stiff
Ping G 20 10.5* Stiff
Taylormade V Steel 3 and 5 wood

Bridgestone J33 R Hybrid 21* NV Shaft
Mizuno MP Quad Cut 52* and 56* Spinner Shafts

Scotty Cameron Newport Two TeI3

http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/books/rules.html

Under the definitions on the left side. Go down to "Stroke" and enjoy that beer my friend.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Yes I did find the "definition" but it doesn't exactly say the rule number? Is it an actual rule in golf or is just a gentlemans rule?

I'm thirsty???? Please help...

In my bag:
MP 57's 4-PW KBS Stiff
Ping G 20 10.5* Stiff
Taylormade V Steel 3 and 5 wood

Bridgestone J33 R Hybrid 21* NV Shaft
Mizuno MP Quad Cut 52* and 56* Spinner Shafts

Scotty Cameron Newport Two TeI3

Yes I did find the "definition" but it doesn't exactly say the rule number? Is it an actual rule in golf or is just a gentlemans rule?

It's not specifically listed in the rules as a 'rule'. Rather, a 'stroke' is defined and then that defintion is used throughout the rest of the rules. Rule 14 does specifically mention the definition of 'stroke' again, if that helps.

Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I've always known it as if you have intent to hit, then it's a stroke.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

The definitions ARE part of the rules. Without knowing the definitions, you can't really apply the Rules. The definition of a

stroke tells you all you need to know to answer your question. You don't need a rule number. If he intended to strike the ball, then he made a stroke. It counts toward his score on that hole. Simple, basic concept of golf. When you attend a USGA Rules Workshop, there is a 100 question exam on the 4th day. A significant number of the questions can be answered correctly just from knowing the definitions in the Rule book.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was under the impression that if someone wiffed on a tee shot, it didnt count, because the ball wasnt actually "in play" yet. True or false?

In my bag:

R9
Burner 3w
Burner 5w Burner Plus 4I-SW 60* LW, 52* GW Rossa Spider putter

I was under the impression that if someone wiffed on a tee shot, it didnt count, because the ball wasnt actually "in play" yet. True or false?

False, Your intent was to hit the ball but you missed. That is a stroke.

IowaChop WITB
Driver:
Hyper X 9*
Fairway Metals:
Big Bertha (2004) 15*, 19*Hybrid:Big Bertha Heavenwood 23*Irons: 4-6 710 CB, 7-PW 710 MBWedges:655TM Fluid Forged Wedge (55/11*) CG 12 DSG 60/3*Putter: Tour Platinum 7801Ball: TP Black LDP
"Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll...

In my part of the world he doesn't just owe you a beer for getting the rule wrong he owes you a gin for doing it in the first place, hence why it's referred to as a gin shot. And yes, as others have stated, it does count as a stroke.

You are thinking of the situation where you accidentally knock the ball off the tee... that is not a penalty because the ball isn't yet in play, and it isn't a stroke because you didn't intend to strike the ball.

If you attempt to hit it and miss, then it's a stroke, no matter where the ball lies.

Rick

Ahhh, you are correct sir. That is what I was thinking.

You are thinking of the situation where you accidentally knock the ball off the tee... that is not a penalty because the ball isn't yet in play, and it isn't a stroke because you didn't intend to strike the ball.

In my bag:

R9
Burner 3w
Burner 5w Burner Plus 4I-SW 60* LW, 52* GW Rossa Spider putter

• Administrator
If you attempt to hit it and miss, then it's a stroke, no matter where the ball lies.

And if you subsequently knock the ball off the tee accidentally, that's a penalty because the ball is in play now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

And if you subsequently knock the ball off the tee accidentally, that's a penalty because the ball is in play now.

Good point. Once you have made a stroke at the ball, it's in play even if you whiffed it.

Rick

Then why do you believe that grounding your club behind the ball for a putt and the ball subsequently moves due to wind, is a just rule? They don't "intend" to "strike" the ball.

Driver: Nike Covert Driver

Irons: Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 5-GW 

Cleveland Mashie 1, 2, 3, & 4 hybrids

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 Black Nickel 54* & 58*

Putter: Wack-e with super stroke grip

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

My least favorite running golf joke. You tee the ball, step up and it fall off the tee.

Invariably someone in your group says "that's one".

In my bag:

Cleveland Hi Bore XLS 8.5* X Stiff
Mizuno MP 650 13*
Halo 22 Deg Apex Plus 4-E Apex Plus Gap Wedge CG15 54 Deg CG10 58 Deg Anser 4 ProV1x

Then why do you believe that grounding your club behind the ball for a putt and the ball subsequently moves due to wind, is a just rule? They don't "intend" to "strike" the ball.

I don't understand the relevance. What does one have to do with the other? In one case you have made a stroke at a ball, in the other you have incurred a penalty because you have met the definition of addressing the ball and are deemed to have caused it to move.

You are trying to compare apples and oranges.

Rick

There is another possibility - if you intent to hit and then figure that something disturbed your back-/downswing you still can interrupt (swing over the ball and try to stop the swing as soon as possible) - that doesnt count as penalty - like Tiger did 1 or 2 years ago.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

There is another possibility - if you intent to hit and then figure that something disturbed your back-/downswing you still can interrupt (swing over the ball and try to stop the swing as soon as possible) - that doesnt count as penalty - like Tiger did 1 or 2 years ago.

But in your scenario, his intent changed before the club reached the ball. That is different from a whiff, where your intent never changed all the way through the swing.

Rick

Note: This thread is 5515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!