IGNORED

Tee Height

iacas
Note: This thread is 5821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How high do you tee a ball for your driver (relative to driver resting on ground)?

• Bottom of the ball at the top of the clubface
    • Center of the ball at the top of the clubface
    • Top of the ball at the top of the clubface
    • Center of the ball at the center of the clubface

I keep finding these HUGE tees on the tee-boxes and I think to myself "what the hell size of head would need a tee this long!" I think the 400+cc heads on some clubs promote teeing balls wayyyy too high!?.. I've never understood why the heads needed to be sooo big.. For some it works tho, so I guess I cant really say much!

Titleist 983K 8.5* Prolite V2 stiff
Callaway Hawk VFT 3 Stiff
Taylor Made 16 & 21* Raylors
TM oversised irons 3-sw Rifle stl shafts
Titleist Vokey spin milled 60*Titleist Vokey 52* Tour

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Center of the ball at the top of the clubface for me too, but it really doesn't matter how I tee it up when I come in steep and sky mark the sonofabitch.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

I ususally have the center of the ball at the top of the driver - though I'm now experimenting with it lower and changing the ball position a little.

No matter what though - my drive seems to rocket out like a bad mo fo - then seems to get a boost of power and rocket straight left. (I'm a lefty.)

so needless to say - I don't use my driver in a game much right now.

3-PW: PowerBilt Grandslam Cavity - OLD (14 yrs maybe.)
SW: Cleavland Clone 56
5w: PowerBilt Grandslam oversized
Putter : PGA ping style

• 1 month later...
Yep, center at the crown. Works for me most of the time. I think thats what the pros recommend!

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

I keep finding these HUGE tees on the tee-boxes and I think to myself "what the hell size of head would need a tee this long!"

That would be a 460, like the Cobra I bought recently. Could I have my tees back please?

I bought some absurdly long tees recently and just love them for the 460. Soon the FAA will require strobes attached to alert low-flying aircraft. But really, with the big modern drivers it just feels right to tee up really really high, and you can't argue with the launch angle and distance. I used to be a 130 av. driver, best say 150. Now I'm a 150-160 av., best about 180 breeze at my back. Stats never lie (just the statisticians ).

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Dang chas i envy you.... toerry pines is so a nice and fun course to play :( i wish it was my home course

Titleist 905R 8.5 Degree // Stiff
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 16 Degree// Stiff
Titleist 690.CB// PW-3 Rifle Flighted 6.5
Titleist Spin-Milled 56 Degree
Titleist Spin-Milled 60 Degree

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

I use the 3-1/4" tees and vary tee height with the shot. If I have to hit the ball high (we have a couple of dogleg holes here I can carry over the dogleg), I tee it about 1/4" higher. For straight or fade shots, I tee it down about 1/4". For normal tee shots, I tee it with the top of driver at equator of ball.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

• 3 weeks later...
I think I am of the minority to say that I like my ball tee'ed low. However, it does more depend on the driver. I have found (for me) that my Nike SQ likes it tee'ed low. I find that when I tee them higher I tend to get more side spin on the ball and slice it.

In My Bag:

Driver: Nike SQ tour 10.5° (Aldila NV 65S)
FW Woods: 4+ Cobra SZ, Stiff, 5 wood: Orlimar HipSteel 16°, Callaway X 21°, Stiff
Irons: Titleist DCI 822OS Nppon NS Pro950Wedges: Cleveland 900 54°/CG 10 60°Putter: Rife 2 bar offset blade putterBall: Callaway HX Tour primary but...

with my R7 it has to be tee'd up with the center of the ball to the top of the clubhead, unless I want to hit it lower (and more accurately) I will tee the ball lower.
REZGOLF

Currently in the bag-

R7 460 9.5 stiffV-steel 3 wood stiff/V-steel 5 wood stiff/2 iron hybrid reg.R.A.C OS2 irons reg.52, 56, & 60 deg. regularScotty Cameron Studio Design Newport II

• 4 months later...
Tee height is different for each golfer and each club. Finding that height can be a little time consuming but well worth it. What really helps is having graduated tees or the ConsistHITe device. Check it out at http://www.consisthite.com What it does is put a line on the shaft of the tee at whatever height you set it to. What I did was take it to the range and found out what height I needed for each driver.

I definitely tee it high. I like to hit the ball just above the center of the clubface. The other reason is that my miss is "coming out of the shot." So If I come out of it I might just hit the center instead of the top of the club face.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

everyone I play with has the tee it high and let it fly approach with the driver, in fact I hear that everytime they tee up, hmmmm getting old now.

I prefer tee it low and let it go unless I have a good back wind and want to gain a couple of yards, then I'll join in the chorus
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

I tee it with the equator of the ball in line with the top line of my Titleist 983e driver; ditto with my 3 wood (Taylor Made Burner mk1).

My irons I keep pretty consistent through the bag; about half an inch of the deck.

I always like Jack Nicklaus' philosophy about teeing it up on par 3s or with irons:

"Why would you NOT tee it up and guarantee yourself a perfect lie everytime?"
Equipment

Driver: Titleist 983E (Grafalloy Prolite 35)
3 Wood: Taylor Made Burner Bubble (Royal Precision steel rifle)
Irons: Callaway x14 (Royal Precision steel rifle) Putter: Ping Zing 5Ball: Titleist Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...
Not really about tee hight, and probably most people know about this already or wouldnt make that kind of error. A couple of weeks ago i didnt had any short tees at hand for Par 3 iron shots so i just used my driver tees for a few rounds - with most shots that felt really strange like taking a too big divot. Finally i figured that hitting on that long tee which almost complety was in the ground robbed me swing speed. Since then i just use very short broken tees what works marvellous.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Not really about tee hight, and probably most people know about this already or wouldnt make that kind of error. A couple of weeks ago i didnt had any short tees at hand for Par 3 iron shots so i just used my driver tees for a few rounds - with most shots that felt really strange like taking a too big divot. Finally i figured that hitting on that long tee which almost complety was in the ground robbed me swing speed. Since then i just use very short broken tees what works marvellous.

Don't really know what the problem is, you just put the tee in to the height you want. no matter how long the tee is just push it down where you need it.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Problem is that most of the time you dont hit the tee out of the ground or hit the head off what gives you unnecessary resistance with your shot.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

If the long tee is giving you that much of a problem break it in half, they only cost a couple of pennies each.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Note: This thread is 5821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!