IGNORED

2009 Sand Trap Members Best Places to Play

Note: This thread is 5388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK, so I'm a little late with this one. It is basically my home course because I've been playing it a lot lately.

NAS Pensacola. It is 45 holes with 3 champ 9s, and an 18 hole par 60. Lot's of oaks and a decent amount of elevation change for a Florida course right on the gulf.

Any 45 hole course where my round is interrupted by this every Tuesday and Wednesday and sometimes Thursdays in the summertime is high on my list.

Now if I can just keep those oaks from interrupting my round.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

Interesting thread. I've played more than 500 courses in 26 states and 4 countries. Difficult to pick a "top 100" list. Some good ones have been named in this thread already. I'll chime in on the ones previously mentioned that I've played.

Denver area: Fossil Trace and Arrowhead. I liked them both. Need to also conssider the Broadmoor has three great courses (Co Springs). Also like Murphy Crek, Green Valley Ranch, Riverdale Dunes, Hyland Hills Gold

Las Vegas area: I've played 20+ courses around LV. I would not include Badlands among my favorites. Wolf Creek in Mesquite is awesome. Reflection Bay is good, but The Chase at Coyote Springs and Bear's Best are equal or better Nicklaus layouts around LV. The Falls (currently closed due to bankruptcy, is very good). The three Paiute courses - Sun Mountain, Snow Nountain and the Wolf are excellent and the best bang for the buck near LV. Also both courses at Primm (Desert and Lakes) are excellent. If money is no object, Shadow Creek, Cascata and the Wynn could be on the list.

Cincy area: I liked Lassing Point a lot and Shaker Run. Blue Ash is an okay muni but not close to the other two or to a top 100.

Phoenix /Scottsdale: I have to agree with the prior votes for We-Ko-Pa Saguaro. There are a lot of terrfific courses here. This could be the best of the best. The Cholla course at We-ko-pa is also good. Other best in the area are: Both courses at Troon North (Monument and Pinnacle) both courses at the Boulders (North and South), both courses at Grayhawk, Dinosaur Mountain and Talking Stick.

Cog Hill #4 ("Dubsdread) near Chicago: is always listed on top 100 lists. I was disappointed, but maybe that was beacuse I played horribly there.

Tampa area: Innisbrook Copperhead and both courses at World Woods are tops. I prefer World Woods and its a lot less expensive. Southern Dunes is between Tampa and Orlando and could be on the list.

Orlando - There is a seperate thread here on the top 20 Orlando courses, so I won't repeat that here. Perhaps the 3 Reunion courses, 2 Orange County National, Sugarloaf Mountain and Bay Hill are the best. The New Course at Grand Cypress is a good tribute to a links, but you really need to go to Great Britain or Ireland to come close to the real thing.

Southern Mich - Eagle Eye was a good choice. I also like Shepherds Hollow, Moose Ridge and the Majestic

Northern Mich: - Tullymore is a good vote, but Arcadia Bluffs is #1 and should be ahead of Bay Harbor. Across Lake Michigan, need to include Whistling Straits and Balckwolf Run in the Kohler/Sheboygan Wis area

Pinhurst NC area: Pinhurst #2, #4, #7 and #8 should be included and perhaps Pine Needles. Tobacco Road and Tot Hill were two good suggestions above. the others mentioned in this area should not be on a top 100 IMO

Upstate NY: I haven't played "Top of the World" so can't comment, but one of my all time favorite courses is the Sagamore in Bolton landing on Lake George. The Atunyote and Shenadoah courses at Turningstone are very good.

Long Island: No question, Bethpage Back and Red.

Hartford area: Wintonbury and Gillette Ridge are the best of the area, but I can't see them in a top 100 of the USA list. Timberlin is not even close.

Atlanta area: Oconnee at Reynolds and East Lake are good choices also Cuscowilla and a couple of the other Reynolds courses. I don't know how Augusta fot mentioned on a "best public" list.

Myrtle Beach: The Dunes Club would be a top 5 of the 100+ courses there. The rest of the top 10 of MB: Caledonia, Barefoot Fazio, Barefoot Love, Rivers Edge, Legends Moorland, TPC, Heritage, Tigers Eye or Leopards Chase and either Tidewater or Grand Dunes.

Places no one mentioned:

Virginia has a lot of great golf. Golden Horseshoe and Royal New Kent are my favorites and should be on the list. Cannon Ridge, Hunting Hawk, Independence and Stonewall are good too, but not top 100.

California. Pebble Beach has to be on the list as does Pasatiempo. Perhaps also Harding Park. How about Angeles National and Rustic Canyon near LA. Wente Vineyards was nice but not top 100 material.

Twin Cities: Stone Ridge, Chaska, Willingers, Troy Burne, the Wilds. Northern MN is supposed to have some great golf, but haven't made it there (yet)

Baltimore: Bulle Rock

Albequrque/Santa Fe: Black Mesa & Paa Ko Ridge

RTJ Trail in Alabama: (i) Cambrian Ridge (ii) the Judge at Capitol Hill, (iii) the Lakes at Grand National.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

About 4 years ago I started taking photos of the courses I play and have photos of the last 100 or so courses I've played at the following website.

http://http://community.webshots.com/user/tewie19

A number of the courses mentioned in this thread are there. I wish I started doing that a long time ago.

Kettlebrook Golf Club. It's beautiful. If it was private it'd be in the top 10 of New England.
www.kettlebrookgolfclub.com

Leicester Country Club. Really has come a long way. If you are ever in Central Mass stop by after 6pm and pay $12 for a cart and play as many holes as you can fit in.
www.leicestercc.com

The response to this thread has been great.
I will have to get busy and compile the votes into a list.

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

Southern Mich - Eagle Eye was a good choice. I also like Shepherds Hollow, Moose Ridge and the Majestic

Moose Ridge and the Majestic are two of my local favorites; haven't played Shepherds Hollow yet but its on the to do list along with the Coyote Preserve just a few miles north of the Majestic.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

A number of the courses mentioned in this thread are there. I wish I started doing that a long time ago.

Thanks for your post. It was a great read. I look forward to looking at the pictures. (When I am not at work.hehe)

A lot of the courses you mentioned are ones that I dreamed of playing. Especially ones in the Myrtle Beach Area. I've already done my research and I've already picked most of the courses you mentioned as a must play if I ever get a chance to get down there. I also want to play Bandon Dunes when I get an opportunity to one day. The best ones I've played at are Troon North-Monument (Phoenix) TPC Scottsdale- Stadium Course (Phoenix) Ocotillo Golf Course (Phoenix) Paiute- Wolf Course (Vegas) Silver Rock (Palm Springs) Desert Willow- Firecliff (Palm Springs) Kananaskis Golf Club (Kananaskis/Alberta/Canada) Silver Tip Resort (Canmore, Alberta) Grey Wolf (Panorama, BC) Vancouver Golf Club (Vancouver, BC) Furry Creek (BC)
What's in my Bag
Driver R7 9.5 Stiff
3 Wood R7 Stiff
Irons R7 TP Stiff 3-PW
Wedge Vokey Spin Milled 52, 56, 60Putter Studio Select Newport 2.0Ball NXT

Twin Cities: Stone Ridge, Chaska, Willingers, Troy Burne, the Wilds. Northern MN is supposed to have some great golf, but haven't made it there (yet)

Troy Burne is great, but I'll take the northern MN golf any day.

The Classic at Madden's on Gull Lake is fantastic. Play 18 in the morning, catch a limit of walleyes in the afternoon, and have an amazing shore lunch dinner. Also on Gull Lake, you can play the Legacy Course at Craguns ( http://craguns.com/golf/course_tour.html ). Pequot Lakes, a short drive away, gives you Deacon's Lodge ( http://www.grandviewlodge.com/golfcourses_deacons.asp ) . Minnesota National is supposed to be great, haven't gotten to play it since I moved back to the state, though. But my favorite two courses in the state are the courses at Giant's Ridge in Biwabik, MN. The Legend course ( http://www.giantsridge.com/golf/legend/ )and the Quarry course ( http://www.giantsridge.com/golf/quarry/ ) are both top 100 courses, which both can be played for less than $70 in the fall, when the colors are awe-insipiring. Plus, afterwards, you can drive into nearby Gilbert and eat at the Whistling Bird, an amazing Jamaican Cafe in the heart of the Iron Range.

In my Vaporlite Bag
Driver: Hireko PowerPlay Q2 10.5*
3 Wood: SS 3.5 14*
20* Hybrid: 3dx
Irons: 804 OS 4-PWWedges: 52* Vintage Forged 54* Vokey Spin-Milled 58* Vokey Raw Putter: Crossbax 2.0Ball: Gamer or D2 Feel

• 2 weeks later...
The Coeur d'Alene Resort is the prettiest course I have ever seen. It's not hard at all, but playing the floating green is wonderful. Who would have thought such a gem would be in Idaho.

In my r7 bag:

Driver:r7 460
3 wood:r7
hybrid:burnerirons:320 serieswedges:TP Rac Z 56*, 60*putter:Circa 62 #3balls:prov1x

The Coeur d'Alene Resort is the prettiest course I have ever seen. It's not hard at all, but playing the floating green is wonderful. Who would have thought such a gem would be in Idaho.

Yeah, I've heard great things as well. Have you spent much time in Idaho? I haven't been there but heard and read it is really a well kept secret.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I agree Cooks Creek in Ashville, OH is a solid course. Good layout that is fair for all levels. They are a memeber of a few online boking sites at very attractive rates

In my Bag
Driver R9 Super-Tri
3 Hybrid A3 Boxer 19 degree
4 Hybrid A3 Boxer 22 degree
Irons 4-PW MP-57 ProjectX 6.0GW: 52 degreeWedges: 56, 60 degreePutter Backstryke 2-BallBall TP Black

In Wisconsin, the top courses are in Kohler - Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run - There are four top notch courses there, which most golf fans already know about. However, if you make a trip to play the Kohler courses you should check out these which are within an hour's drive or so:

1. The Bull. A challenging Nicklaus design that is right down the road from Kohler. Great conditions and some difficult/intimidating shots.

http://www.golfthebull.com/

2. The Bog. A little closer to Milwaukee. Palmer Design. Not as challenging as the others listed here, but a great layout and always in top condition.

http://www.golfthebog.com/sites/cour...831&page;=46194

3. Erin Hills. Soon to be rated as the top course in the state. Easily the most difficult course I have ever played. Top contender to have the 2017 US Open. Hosting the 2011 US Amateur. Beautiful, natural looking rolling hills, and did I mention difficult. This thing is like 8000 from the tips with seemingly impossible green complexes. Check out the intro on the website.

http://www.erinhills.com

Yeah, I've heard great things as well. Have you spent much time in Idaho? I haven't been there but heard and read it is really a well kept secret.

Amen, my folks live in Spokane, about 30 minutes west of Coeur d'Alene. My Dad and I play there every year. We also go to Circling Raven, about another 30 minutes East of Coeur d'Alene. Circling Raven is ranked #61 on Golf Digest top 100 public courses. Coeur d'Alene Resort is #75.

In my r7 bag:

Driver:r7 460
3 wood:r7
hybrid:burnerirons:320 serieswedges:TP Rac Z 56*, 60*putter:Circa 62 #3balls:prov1x

In the Bay Area:
Bodega Bay Golf Links in Bodega, CA( true links course outside of scotland)
Chardonnay in Napa( really cool course playing thru merlot vineyards)
Whitney Oaks in Roseville(another really good layout)

In my Sun Mountain MPB bag:
Burner 07 9.5w/ Prolaunch Red
SZ Fairway Woods 4+ and 7
Rescue TP 3 hybrid
200 series irons 4-pwcg11 wedges 52*,56*,60*White Hot 2-BallDT RollHome Course: www.bodegaharbourgolf.com/

As a Nebraska native I'd love say I've played the Sand Hills. No such luck. Some of the better tracks in Ne would have to be:

Quarry Oaks - Ashland (GD #72 or so)
Omaha CC - future US Senior Open venue
Wild Horse - Gothenburg (GD top places under $50)
Arbor Links - Ne City a very nice Arnold Palmer course
Firethorn - Lincoln - Pete Dye layout with all the railroad ties you can imagine

and my home course

Beatrice CC - worthy of US Open sectional qualifying a few years back

Top Courses played across the country:
TPC Tampa
Lakes Course - RTJ Auburn, AL
Olde Stonewall - Ellsworth, PA
Silver Lakes - RTJ Anniston, AL

Favorite Muni:

Great call on both counts. Some friends and I only get out together once a year, skill levels are quite disparate, and we always choose Jeffersonville. A varied layout, condition is nice, price is right.

Broad Run is one of my favorite places to play. Very challenging, scenic, very well kept up. The drastic elevations make up for tough shot choices. I try to get out there at least once or twice a year.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Note: This thread is 5388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!