IGNORED

Golf GPS

gasfreak
Note: This thread is 5499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking to maybe buy a golf gps which one do you guys recommend.I am not wanting to pay a monthly fee,would like one to show me water and bunkers not just the green

I own a UPro by Callaway. I used it for the first time on Saturday. I really like it. They have great customer service.

If you do a search for UPro on this site, there is a huge thread talking about its pros and cons. Mr Useless has a lot of info on it.

Good luck.

Driver: Nike Covert Driver

Irons: Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 5-GW 

Cleveland Mashie 1, 2, 3, & 4 hybrids

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 Black Nickel 54* & 58*

Putter: Wack-e with super stroke grip

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

I have the sonocaddie v300. Nice, no annual fees. Bright color screen, and shows all the hole features and distance to them. I got it for $300 at Costco and included a free lifetime membership ($50 value). Highly recommend it.

Driver: R9
Fairway Woods: 07 Burner Rescue
Hybrid: 07 Burner Rescue
Irons: X-16's
Wedges: CG10 Black Pearl 54* Putter: Rossa Fontana

I own a UPro by Callaway. I used it for the first time on Saturday. I really like it. They have great customer service.

I own a UPro as well. I love it! The images are awesome. If you use the basic mode you get all the information you are looking for, just no sat image flyover/shot location. That feature comes in really handy.

The only down side (which I am finding with all of the GPS units) is that since I am in the Navy and travel, I may end up at a course that isn't supported (yet). OR, if it is, I may not be able to update my UPro because I can't get internet connection. That is just a real bummer for me. I might look into a laser for that sole reason. Other wise, I absolutely love my UPro.

LD F Speed 9.5 Driver Stiff
MX 700 3W Stiff
MP Fli Hi 2, 3, 4
MP 52 5i-9i
MP-T 47.06, 51.06, & 58.10 White Hot XG Teron Putter ProV1x ShoesQUOTE:"I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones" - Terry "The Wedge Guy" Koehler

I have the older black and white sonocaddie, v200 I think?

No subscription, and has all the hazards etc like the v300. More then enough info for me. You can also add targets as you play and save them.
I have the sonocaddie v300. Nice, no annual fees. Bright color screen, and shows all the hole features and distance to them. I got it for $300 at Costco and included a free lifetime membership ($50 value). Highly recommend it.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got a Golf Logix GPS the other day after seeing the infomercial on the golf channel. It is essentially a Garmin e-trex unit programmed for golf. These are awesome gps units if you are not familiar. Had Garmin not made it, I would not have gotten it. My wife and I float remote arctic rivers in Alaska each fall. Flyfishing and rafting for 40-60 miles over a week or two. We use the Garmin etrex for our gps units. That is how we get to the right gravel bar for the bush plane pickup. If this unit is good enough for remote river travel, it will sure as heck get me around a golf course. Ha ha..

I used it for the first time today. Amazing. Just amazing. Last night I hooked it up the computer and downloaded 20 courses that I am likely to play. This took just a few minutes. Childproof, really. Took it out today and was extremely pleased. It tells you yardage to bunker, yards for 150 yard, 100 yard, etc.. lay up distance to green. After the drive (on par 4/5) it tells you the distance to front/center/back green. It advances as you go, automatically, and you don't have to do anything but look at it. Could not be simpler, yet give all the info you need in my opinion. I got the optional protective case, $19.99, and put the gps in it and clipped it to my golf bag where my towel/brush goes. Worked out great. I am there getting a club, look at the gps, go about my business. They sell a suction cup golf cart mount, but that looks clumsy to me.

It has a feature (one button you press) that measures shot distance. Just hit the shot, hit the button, go to ball, hit the button again, and it reads of 272 yards, etc... I am on Nantucket and had 30 + mph winds this morning. Drove what looked like a perfect drive and did the distance of shot button. Turned out to only be a 188 yard drive! Also really enjoyed measuring the distance of my gap wedge, pitching wedge, etc.. Great to see an actual number, like 87 yards, instead of my normal guesstimate. Can't recommend this gps unit enough.

If anyone wants one, be sure to get it on Amazon, $226, it is $299 at the Golf Logix website. The subscription is $30 a year. But that does give you access to download 23,000 courses. My home state, North Carolina, has 615 courses listed. Every course I could think of was in the data bank. You can download one course for free without doing the $30/year subscription so if you play on the same course all the time, this may very well be an option for you. It is easy to add/delete/change the courses you store in the gps unit. As I said, you can store 20 courses at a time. Just takes a few minutes and the software is idiot proof. Wish I had bought one of these years ago.

http://golfgps.com/

I got a Golf Logix GPS the other day after seeing the infomercial on the golf channel. It is essentially a Garmin e-trex unit programmed for golf. These are awesome gps units if you are not familiar. Had Garmin not made it, I would not have gotten it. My wife and I float remote arctic rivers in Alaska each fall. Flyfishing and rafting for 40-60 miles over a week or two. We use the Garmin etrex for our gps units. That is how we get to the right gravel bar for the bush plane pickup. If this unit is good enough for remote river travel, it will sure as heck get me around a golf course. Ha ha..

Great review and I don't mean to rain on it, but what you described from the Garmin unit, mostly all GPS units do this (with the exception of the real basic models). My Sonocaddie has all the same features as yours, so I think they key difference here is the annual membership fees. I tested a few out and played around with them to get a feel for features and in the end they were all similar, the kicker was the annual membership. I didn't want to pay $30-$50 a year when my golf season lasts April - Oct. So I went with the sonocaddie as I got a free lifetime membership.

Driver: R9
Fairway Woods: 07 Burner Rescue
Hybrid: 07 Burner Rescue
Irons: X-16's
Wedges: CG10 Black Pearl 54* Putter: Rossa Fontana

yeah, the yearly subscriptions really burn me. i have the feeling that golf gps systems are going to gradually phase out the subscription fees, look at what happened with car gps systems, they had the fees initially but almost all have phased them out.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Are you sure you have the V300, or the version under that one?

. . ."Commit to each shot. . .and believe"!!

In my R7 Tour Bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R1 "Black" Aldila RIP Phenom Stiff Shaft  Fairway:  RocketBallz #3 (15 degree) Stiff Shaft  Hybrid:  #3 (19 degree) Stiff Shaft,  Hybrid:  #5 Burner (25 degree) Stiff Shaft   Irons & Wedges: CGB Max '08 Black Steel Stiff Shaft. PW, SW, & LW. Putter: Rossa Modena...

I like this topic, because im looking at the skycaddie. Looks like an awesome tool.

I'll need to check out the Callaway and the Golf Logix.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Note: This thread is 5499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!