IGNORED

Range Balls

Note: This thread is 5491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How crappy is your 'average' range ball? Approximate distance loss, side spin, etc. Are some range balls significantly better than others (Srixon, Wilson, etc.)?

Driver:  the search continues
Fairway Wood:  Ping G25 3W Tour stiff
Hybrid:  Snake Eyes Q4U 19*, 23*
Irons:  Ping G25 5-UW w/CFS X-flex  (on order)
Wedges:  685BX black 56*      Putter:  Wilson Staff 8882 

Different ranges are definitely different as far as the quality of balls. One of the ranges I go to has a big lake with an island green so they use 'Floater' golf balls. Not sure what the brand is but they do not fly very long or true (most of them are really old). Some of the higher end courses always seem to have nice and new range balls on their ranges. Most of the ranges seem to have older cheap (TopFlite or Wilson in most cases when the brand name is not completely worn off).

I'm not sure how important the brand is for range balls - I think it's more about the condition they are in. I'm sure there is some amount of distance and flight difference between brands, but I would suspect it's pretty insignificant as long as the balls are new(ish) and in good shape. I keep hoping to find a range with premium balls like the pros get to hit .

Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Most ranges have the same crappy balls. I don't think the brand means much at all. None of them will be the same as using your regular ball. I just concentrate on how I am hitting and not so much how far the ball goes. The best is when you get one that is cut, those will do some funky things when you hit them. I do go one range that uses regular balls with a range stripe and markings on them. They are not premium balls, but most are better than hitting the crap balls.

I keep hoping to find a range with premium balls like the pros get to hit.

I get to play in a pro-am for a Nationwide event every year and get to use the premium balls on the range before the round. Last year they had Bridgestone B330 and the prior years they were whatever premium ball Nike had. There is a difference in feel when you hit a good ball vs. a regular range ball, especially on the driver. Plus, you know that the distance is accurate.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

our range balls are floaters also, but they don't have any brand names on them. They go about 80% of the distance of regular balls, so a target 233 yards out (where I hit to with my driver on the range) is actually 290 yards out with a regular ball. Now not all range balls are made by brand names such as wilson or srixon or titleist or nike or whatever. This means that they are not as good of a quality. This usually results in more side spin, less backspin, and a bad aerodynamic organizational pattern of dimples. Don't always go by the way you are hitting on the range to determine your game, since it's not always accurate.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

At the course I play at here in Fort Smith, the range has NXT Tour range balls with "practice" stamped on the side. They also have a huge bucket of Pro V1 balls at the putting/chipping green to use. Not only that, but the first hole borders the driving range and if you slice your drive right it'll end up in a sea of range balls. When you're practicing, you'll always end up finding a few good balls that people have lost.

I get to play in a pro-am for a Nationwide event every year and get to use the premium balls on the range before the round. Last year they had Bridgestone B330 and the prior years they were whatever premium ball Nike had. There is a difference in feel when you hit a good ball vs. a regular range ball, especially on the driver. Plus, you know that the distance is accurate.

When I played in the Pro-Am in the Shell Houston Open a few weeks ago, they had a huge table set up for the pros where each could go get a bag of range balls that matched the ball they normally play. They had us hitting just the normal old range balls.....

I find that the (old and average) range balls near me make about a 2 club difference. So my 7i, which is a 175 club for me, I hit at the 150 yard green... Just need to remember to get back to the course and trust my old yardages.

I also notice this difference much more with my new irons than my old GI irons... could be mental though.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

When I played in the Pro-Am in the Shell Houston Open a few weeks ago, they had a huge table set up for the pros where each could go get a bag of range balls that matched the ball they normally play. They had us hitting just the normal old range balls.....

I would guess that the Nationwide doesn't have the support staff for separating range balls. Everyone hits the same ball. That would not be a fun job. Kind of surprising that they wouldn't have you picking out a regular ball. Just more to go through for the sorting guy.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

This is a great question....I've always wondered the same thing.

Most importantly....I'm extremely pleased with my home course....ridiculously pleased. So it's a non issue when I say this.....but......our range balls suck.....outright. We have a mixture of yellow and white ones. Most of them were actual range balls....about 10% of them are actually lost balls that were wayward hooks someone hit on the Pine View Course's first hole.

I always warm up with a wedge and roll the "real" balls over to the side for use when work up to 3wood and/or driver. I prefer to hit these vs. the oddball results I get with the foul range balls. I don't want to step up to the first tee in a few minutes with the mental picture of how my driver or 3wood knuckleballed one on the range.

That being said.....I don't mind the rough balls.....member range prices are sweet....and they serve their purpose well enough. I'd hate to incur the expense of what new balls would cost us.

It is a valid gripe when you do go to a practice facility and pay through the nose for cruddy balls and bare turf. It does compromise the quality of your practice.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!