IGNORED

most overrated clubs/brands? most underrated?

Note: This thread is 4540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess the answers to this question are subject to how one views the brands, as there is no official list as to how clubs are rated...that I am aware of anyway. Here are my thoughts:

Overated:
- Scotty Camerons (however I think they are sweet looking putters but my TM does just as good as a job as my SC Studio)
- Vokey Wedges (I use to play them and I don't notice any difference between my cally's and those)
- Sergio Garcia

Underated:
- TM Wedges (Switched to these from vokeys, very solid wedge)
- Callaway Irons (I think they get a rep for just being GI irons, but I think they provide a good balance of forgiveness and playability)
- Ian Poulter

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

How could something be overrated or underrated?

I find you foolish.

that's generally what forums are for, to give your personal opinion to the masses.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

I find you foolish.

Why personally attack someone? There's no need. I personally agree with what CGO31 said. Topics like this do nothing but alienate everyone at some point or another. And you're exactly right, forums are for expressing your personal opinion, but they're not a platform for any member to call other members names.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Overrated - scotty cameron ovbiously. They are like a good band, that has a certain following, and then go mainstream and change their style of music to appeal to the masses. Scotty's are now mass produced and their quality is not nearly as good as before (one of the reasons i keep my newport beach stainless from 2001).

Underrated - Byron Morgan putters and C&L; putters. Both are better than scotty's, both are completely customizeable, and both are made in small batches by hand. Also any titleist iron that came before the z series is way underrated. They are just as good if not better than the mp 33, 32, 37, 14, 67 etc.

• 1 year later...

im a big wilson guy. i started golfing a year ago, and my first set of irons were wilson deep red II distance. I think probably more underrated as a SGI set. But i already replaced them with wilson staff fg tour irons. they also make some really nice putters. "888 series". i had an 8881 but i didnt care for it. if only they made the 8882 (8802/napa) style in left hand. last thing is their golf balls. so far my favorites of this summer are the FG tour urethane ball, and the Staff Fifty Elite ball. People say all the time "ohhh yeaa wilson staff 61 majors. its not all about majors so who cares."...that doesnt make sense. Considering Rory's legacy was straddling major winner and "first round bust" because of his blow up at august

Bridgestone clubs could be one of the most underrated all around companies as well. Yea, well all know there taking the golf ball market by storm. but they also have great irons, solid driver, and woods. if only they rep'd a little harder in the states. But lately, thats kindve been changing.

i also enjoy the topflite v2 gamers. really good ball but tough for me to judge distance and create spin on green side shots though. but that can be a minor adjustment for the price.

i think one of the most underrated clubs/companies is only underrated because of how highly priced they are with not a HUGE rep or their ability to get there name out there. i know its weird, right? tour edge exotics. now i know what your gonna say. people love them. but those are the people willing to pull the trigger on a 300 dollar fairway wood. or at least have the money. people think, "i can hit perfectly fine with my no name club, or even my good ol' taylormade." because they dont realize the money is worth every bit. not only in performance, and thanks to there complicated welding process with titanium everything, their durability as well. those fairway woods would survive an apocalypse/nuclear war.which is why my 15 deg cb2 will be with me all the time, just to be safe haha.

Overrated - TaylorMade. Every thing they do. It's great gear, but I think it's on a pedestal. They seem to really cash in on the uniformity and clean looks, as well as their name. Don't get me wrong, it's good quality gear, but I find a lot of their stuff to be generally over priced. Their bags and balls are great, though. I also like their hats.

Underrated - Nike Game Improvement irons and putters. I was searching for months for new irons, and not one person recommended Nike, but I hit them the best out of any of the brands I tried, and they have a quality feel to them. Same with their putters. Excellent quality, great feel, but very few people recommend them. And yes, I know I look like a fanboy with the avvy and all, but trust me, I don't buy things just because of brand. I just genuinely feel that they make some excellent products for the price.

I coulda sworn I left the cart right here......

Originally Posted by Inebriated

Overrated - TaylorMade. Every thing they do. It's great gear, but I think it's on a pedestal. They seem to really cash in on the uniformity and clean looks, as well as their name. Don't get me wrong, it's good quality gear, but I find a lot of their stuff to be generally over priced. Their bags and balls are great, though. I also like their hats.

Underrated - Nike Game Improvement irons and putters. I was searching for months for new irons, and not one person recommended Nike, but I hit them the best out of any of the brands I tried, and they have a quality feel to them. Same with their putters. Excellent quality, great feel, but very few people recommend them. And yes, I know I look like a fanboy with the avvy and all, but trust me, I don't buy things just because of brand. I just genuinely feel that they make some excellent products for the price.

From your description, TaylorMade doesn't sound overrated and from what i've seen in person, Nike certainly isn't underrated. Granted I haven't used a Method putter, but their lesser lines of putters are kind of junky.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

From your description, TaylorMade doesn't sound overrated and from what i've seen in person, Nike certainly isn't underrated. Granted I haven't used a Method putter, but their lesser lines of putters are kind of junky.

I am speaking from mostly my area and the people I talk to. Everyone goes on about TM's products and how great they are. They're not great, they're just good. They're not the end-all brand. And also in talking to the people around me, no one acknowledges Nike's gear that isn't VR. And I've actually come to like their Method Core putters. I was actually going to get a new putter today, and it was between that and some Odyssey that I can't remember the name of.

I coulda sworn I left the cart right here......

Most overrated: Whatever doesn't work for me. (Especially if I paid top dollar.)

Most underrated:  Whatever does work for me. (Especially if it's from a junk barrel.)

• Upvote 1

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

I think Mizuno's woods and wedges are underrated. I think Nike's irons (pro combo tour V1 and V2) are underrated. I think Taylormade woods and Cleveland wedges are overrated. I don't think any of these are bad, just not up to the hype...

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Originally Posted by The Gill

I think Mizuno's woods and wedges are underrated.

Definetly agree.  Ive personally never understood how Mizuno irons can have such a cult following yet their wedges dont get much love.  Same for their woods: theyve always made very good woods (I know quite a few people who are still gaming the old MP-001 drivers and have absolutely no plans to retire them until they crack the clubface) and have REALLY stepped up their game lately, yet they dont get much attention.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Let's stir things up.

overrated :  Miura clubs, aftermarket shafts in general, Titleist balls, Scotty putters, Cleveland wedges

underrated :  Nothing really as everything golf related is marketed to death these days ...

... or maybe Nike is underrated.  Have no first hand experience with Nike Golf stuff, but how come everyone spits them out when you see all the effort is put into their products at The Oven.  Or is that just pure marketing too ?  Don't know, as I said, no first hand experience with Nike.

Over rated: In the eye of the beholder, but I vote for

1.) Ben Hogan Apex irons. The best AMF ones are hard find in playable condition (grinds, PCs, red lines, and a couple others) and the Spalding version are almost impossible to find at a decent price (their best irons imho),

2.) Titleist balls - very good balls, but not good enough for a mid-high capper to play a scuffed up one over another brand of ball - GD posers.

3.) Bridgestone ball fitting. Just buy a box and try it out fool - you're hitting into a screen!

4.) Miura game improvement irons. Once you're not opting for the blades, why pay more? Why bother?!?

5.) Titleist 710 MB. Why were so many pros so quick to switch to the 712s and why do their ads hint the 712s they feel so much better. Whenever I've hit Titleist blades, I've scored well (important for pros) but was left with a hollow feeling as even the softest ball feels like a distance rock. Let's just say they're no Miuras or vintage Mizzies.

Underrated: Cleveland, Odyssey, and Ray Cook putters, DG S300 shafts, Callaway Tour balls (not their Bertha etc rocks) and Top Flite balls which are better than most of the generic Callaways, PING woods without any adjustable nonsense, Mizuno woods and hybrids, and of course PING Eye 2 irons

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Underrated (IMOP) Nippon shafts, more specifically NS Pro shafts.

Overrated. True temper dynamic golf shafts. (s300,r300, etc.)

Reason being is the future of golf is lightweight. anything over 115 grams in weight is considered obsolete. why do you think pros play project X shafts? irregardless how harsh they can be. (others opinions.)

Underrated: Wilson FG tour ball

Overrated: ProV1 or ProV1x

Reason is simple. The PRICE! Now i know that wilsons for me are pricey but feel better, go farther, and hold up better than the prov1s. I do feel however that titleist had something going with the DT line. which they now have discontinued. Yet, underrated for titleist is the NXT line. Still, the standard NXT is wayyy over priced for a strait shooting distance bombing ball.

Underrated: Adams CB1/CB2/A12 irons

Overrated: Taylormade CB/MC/MB annnddd, titleist ap1 and ap2.

Adams has flown under the radar before, and even with world class innovation in the driver/woods category with the combination of hybrid tech. (highly professional usage) and impart with Tom Watson wedges. they somehow still have not caught the eye in the clubs that most occur in your bag. Irons. Taylormade will own drivers and titleist will own golf balls. but neither will make it all. If only adams had a golf ball division.

ANYTHING that is not NIKE VR is not "underrated". The reason that Nike VR line is soo popular is because it blends feel with looks. Everything else from Nike has been soo god awful to look at, no wonder there other clubs arent being praised hallelujah. Yellow Sumo driver? rediculous. Slingshot irons? (original green weird things) REDICULOUS. But nike VR black wedges? Machspeed Black driver (round) or VR Driver. Look exception. Tradition is apart of this game. A club that looks like a car accident is not appealing to most golfers.

Last one.

Underrated: Taylormade R9 (460 or REG with weights. i think its 440?)

Overrated: Taylormade R11.

I refused to buy a taylormade r9 last year because it looked too gimmicky and insane. I now have a R9 460 because the R11 is all that and more. If there is anything more rediculous at a range, a tee box, or a golf shop, its the hideous and unbearable white crown of an R11. (or even the superfast 2.0, which i still dislike the first superfast).

I shouldnt talk though, because i love the Cobra ZL white. Which i will never own because any golf club worth $799 deserves a padlock and an retinal scan safe, just to see let alone hit off a tee. all that said it would cost me more to protect it, than to even buy it.

The old Nickent gear was very much underrated.  Now that they're owned by Dick's Sporting Goods/Golf Galaxy I don't know how good or bad their clubs are.  I have a couple of hybrids, Evolver driver with the CYG hosel, and a couple of wedges and they all play well for me.  I also bought a set of Wilson Staff Di9 irons and they are definitely underrated.

My two cents:

I think that Taylormade drivers tend to be a little overrated... it is a great club but some of the hype makes it seems like it blows everything else out of the water and that simply isn't the case; there are other drivers that are up to that level.  I think that "light weight" clubs are also overrated... sure you can swing 'em fast but there is no mass behind the ball; you gotta find the right balance between the two and I think some of the newer ones are taking the light weight to the extreme.

Underrated, I'd say maybe Top-Flite balls, especially the Gamer V2 and D2 feel... great balls at great prices; however they are getting somewhat of a following now.  I also think that Wilson Staff products are a bit underrated... they kind of disappeared off the face of the earth for a while and are finally make a comeback... They make some good stuff.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I took several years away from the game and am just getting seriously back into it again. My previous clubs were the Cleveland TA3's, back then it was a great club for me. I just upgraded, or according to some of you, downgraded to TM Burner 1.0's. Even though I have only played with them twice and am still getting used to them, they are a helluva lot better than my TA3's.

Overrated:

I am personally am not a fan of Callaway, just because I do not like the way they set-up

Vokely wedges, I have a 52 and prefer my Cleveland over this.

Nike- just because of Tiger (am I being biased???? LOL)

Underrated:

TM Burners 1.0 (LOL!)

Phillip

overrated:

Taylormade Penta; i don't know if it's just me or something else, but i've been reading reviews of these (which led me to buy a sleeve) and they all say this ball is soft and long... while i agree it's a long ball, it's definetely not soft... it feels like a rock off my putter compared to my prov1

Callaway Irons and Drivers: these haven't been good for a long long long time

Hybrids: most hybrid users are big big big preachers of hybrids.. i don't really see the appeal, as soon as you set up to a standard hybrid the offset is so apparent it looks like a hook before you even hit it

scotty cameron putters: great putters no doubt.. $400 price tag? 20+ handicappers using this putter?

precision rifle shafts: ive recently reshafted my irons to these from true temper s300 to rifle 6.0, and i honestly can tell you there is no difference to ball flight or anything

golf pride colorful grips: look ridiculous

scotty cameron head covers... hahahahha (im jealous :( )

underrated:

cleveland cg wedges: very very very nice wedges, cheap too.

nike method 1 putter: classic looking putter and it's wayyy cheaper than a newport2... nike has a bad rep with putters where i come from

Top Flite gamer balls: good ball. struggling hard to remove it's top-flite rock ball stigma

lamkin cord grips: great in the wet and nice and fat

Note: This thread is 4540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!