IGNORED

Screw the golf channel

hoofreak7
Note: This thread is 5440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

TGC is not perfect by any means, but I'm glad I have it. Beats the heck out of some crap on cable these days.

I agree with you up to a point. The Golf Channel is better than living without it, BUT---------------some of the things they do drive me nuts: 1. Overemphasis on Tiger. He is the greatest out there right now, but---real golf fans care about Sean O'Hair, who turned pro at age 17 and is an interesting guy, and other players. I know that "money makes the world go round", and the big companies that have endorsement contracts with Tiger also have advertising contracts with TGC, so the producers are not going to "bit the hand" that feeds them. You know, a player does not have to be labeled "Tiger's next rival" to have a swing worth copying and a story worth listening to. And keep in this mind, I think that Tiger is great, and I like watching him, but "too much of anything" is not a good thing. 2. Inga----when you remember Jennifer Mills, and then listen to Inga, you get sick to your stomach. 3. Kelly Tilghman---I know that she engenders strong reactions--pro and con, and I am definitely in the latter group. In fact, it has gotten so bad, that I hit the "mute" button when she is on. How many of you actually like her? And keep in this mind---early in her career on TGC, I liked her and enjoyed listening to her. Now, I will listen to Dottie any time over Kelly. 4. Interviews---to me the most interesting aspect of a sports show or broadcast is NOT the commentary. Rather, it is the interviews, if they are done well. I like to find out what is going on "in the head" of a competitor. As I have written before, Peter Kessler was so great in "Golf Talk Live" that he set the standard for golf interviews. Sadly, no one, in my opinion, has met that standard since he left TGC.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Personally I would rather listen to Kelly Tilghman than Johnny Miller, but that's just me. I often find myself muting the volume and letting my buddies do the commentary. I think many announcers these days (are you listening Nick Faldo?) suffer from the Don't-know-when-to-shut-up syndrome. They should take a look at some old tapes of Ben Wright or watch Peter Alliss.

The other annoyance I have with announcers these days is their constant defense of the players when they hit a bad shot. They are human, they will hit the occasional crappy shot. At least Miller and Faldo aren't afraid to say it. Others always make excuses - "That was SOOOO hard of a shot, he did great just to get it out" or "Well, he must have had a TERRIBLE lie over there" or "There was a sudden gust of wind that must have pushed that ball into the water" or my personal favorite "He's had to deal with so much in his personal life, you wonder if it's getting to him."

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

they're so wrapped up with tiger and johnson that they haven't shown one of Phil's shots when oh by the way he is now -8 and just 2 shots off the lead

I know...thats my biggest pet peeve....Having the camera stuck up Tigers rear!! One day the "Tiger" Channel is going to find a way to put a camera on Tiger and call it the "on-board Tiger Cam".

And the European PGA Tour is no different...they have the camera stuck up Colin "never-won-a-major" Montgomerie's butt just the same.

• 1 month later...
Agree with those of you who say they are obsessed with Tiger. There are other players!

Woah, let this topic die.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

his point is more that you picked a thread that's almost 2 months old to respond to :x but yes opinions are awesome.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

OK, I will try to stay with more current threads. Thanks.

That's OK. This thread is still appropriate. I used to watch "Golf Central" every day, and checked out their daily schedule for special shows like the ones on Arnie and Payne Stewart. Now, I almost never watch it, and guess what? I do not miss it.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

The problem I find with the channel now, IMO, its one big infommercial. When I first started watching it 10 years ago it seems they had more variety. Now, its just one big commercial. I know I tuned in 3 or 4 times to watch "Golf Central" monday and at every half hour the show wasnt playing as it should but they were showing infommercials.

Today I take it for what it is...a "Tiger Tracker".

I would love for them to replay more old 70-80's tournament footage. But that is not what they are going to do because Tiger wouldnt be in the field.

Oh, well..if you want to see how well the NYY and Boston are doing you turn on ESPN, if you want to know if Tiger has went to the little boys room this morning you turn on The Golf Channel.

• Administrator
I would love for them to replay more old 70-80's tournament footage. But...

... they don't have the rights to those.

There, I fixed it for you. New, better, alternative ending. It's infomercials all day (most days), and actual content on nights and weekends. I think they've improved in recent years in not showing as many infomercials (PGA Tour coverage helped with that).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

... they don't have the rights to those.

.....but what gets my goat is I, being a person that knows everything about networks, advertising, executive decisions etc.

, think they could be showing the live opening of the rounds Thursday - Sunday. Why not start shooting live at the first tee off instead of waiting until mid-day? And why not show every Pro-Am on Wednesday? I mean, and as I said I am a expert in these matters, it looks like it would be better than showing infomercials all day! JMO

• Administrator
.....but what gets my goat is I, being a person that knows everything about networks, advertising, executive decisions etc.

Because they would have to pay people more for that, and they're not even using their own crews - they're CBS or NBC crews and equipment.

And why not show every Pro-Am on Wednesday? I mean, and as I said I am a expert in these matters, it looks like it would be better than showing infomercials all day! JMO

Who would watch a pro-am? Have you ever seen one in person? Gag.

Televised golf costs them money (they can make some back with ads). Infomercials are pretty much pure profit. Obviously they can't show only infomercials or nobody would ever watch the channel, but I think they've found the mix that likely works for them.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well who would watch The European PGA? No one....but I am stting here watching it

Hehe. I would watch the European tour over anything pro-am.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

My biggest peeve is the constant showing of Tigers round whether he is good or bad.I want to see the leaders as much as possible whoever they may be.If Tiger is 4 over and not in contention he should be treated as such you can talk about his bad round to replay it all afternoon is a bit too much thank you.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I'm definitely sick of the infomercials. I can and will watch just about anything remotely golf-related, but please, please, no more infomercials.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

• Administrator
My biggest peeve is the constant showing of Tigers round whether he is good or bad.I want to see the leaders as much as possible whoever they may be.If Tiger is 4 over and not in contention he should be treated as such you can talk about his bad round to replay it all afternoon is a bit too much thank you.

Yawn.

Tiger's rarely out of it when the Golf Channel is showing tournaments. It's the first two rounds. And you just hate Tiger because you're a "Phil" guy. Simple fact: Golf Channel feels that covering Tiger moves the needle more than showing Brian Gay or whomever might be leading. They probably have the numbers to back it up. I doubt they're doing things that hurt their business just because they're all secretly in love with Tiger Woods or something. I don't care for it either, but I understand it, and I understand why ranting against it is a waste of time.

Note: This thread is 5440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!