IGNORED

Bushnell Neo or SkyCaddie 3.0

Note: This thread is 5227 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went with a Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 w/out slope edition and I'm glad that I made this choice. http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Pinse.../dp/B0007PEONC

Here are some thoughts.

1. Yes, it's more expensive up front (maybe $100 or so?) but you don't pay a yearly fee to download courses. You also don't have to worry about the system not having a course you're playing.

2. Line of sight isn't ever a problem for me. If I'm down in a valley and cannot see the flag I walk up the hill until I can see the flag, shoot the flag and then turn around and shoot my bag/cart and add the two distances together to get a pretty good idea of the distance.

If you're behind trees or something and cannot get a good line of sight, maybe you shouldn't be going for the flag anyway? Seriously though, it's nothing to walk 5-10 yards in either direction to get a line of sight in most situations which gives you a good enough idea on distance to the flag.

3. You can take your rangefinder to any driving range to get distances.

4. I'm not familiar with other laser rangefinders, but with the Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 you really don't have to be that still to get the shot. It has what Bushnell calls "pinseeker mode" which simply focuses in on the foreground objects (flag, tree, etc) and gives you the distances to them and not anything in the background (other trees, etc). So, you basically just have to hold the cross hairs in the vicinity of the flag in pinseeker mode and you'll have a reading in about 1 second.

The choice is yours but I wouldn't think of trading my rangefinder for a GPS device.

3. You can take your rangefinder to any driving range to get distances.

That is one of my favorite features of my laser. I've yet to find a driving range where the 150 sign is really 150 yards. Also, many ranges have flags set up all over, and those are not usually marked at all.

The ability to measure anything anywhere at anytime is perhaps the most glaring difference between the two technologies. (laser vs. gps)

...Also, many ranges have flags set up all over, and those are not usually marked at all....

You are so right!!!!

Why, on God's green earth, would a driving range not have adequate measures or flags???? It makes no sence, we go there to practice...if all I want is an open field, I can 100 practice balls for roughly the same as a few outings.... I go to the range to improve my swing, understand my distances, and play when I can't afford 4 hrs on the course I just found a pretty nice range next to my office, it about 10 minutes away, that has huge flags with actual distances, and of course a few pins that well marked.
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

I like my Neo. I also use my father in law's laser on occasion. I find the Neo to be easier and faster to use. Just pull it out, and see the distances.

BTW, IIRC, the yearly subscription allows 100 downloads. I believe that will cover just about all the courses I will ever need! (Including my trip to Palm Springs next month. )

You can also map your own courses, or edit and add points if they are erroneous or missing.

Regards,

Gary

Nakashima HTEC 460 9.5, 65g Fujikura Motore F1 (s)
Speedline 3W, 70-gram Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis
SQ 2 18 Deg. Hybrid, stock stiff graphite
R7 irons, 4-LW, stock stiff steel
White Steel 2-Ball SRT PutterSunMountain MPB bagIGolf Neo

Hey anyone using the Sonocaddie V100??? for $150, it seems like a great device, makes me think twice about the Neo

Any thought????
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

• 8 months later...
The V100 and Neo seem like good fits for me as well. The one question I still have about the two is on the shot distance function. Do they mark the distance for each shot (point to point) or only the drive from the Teebox? I would like to measure and record my iron shots as well so that I can find "probable", "safe", and "perfect hit" distances. Can these basic models do that?

Driver: 600t 10.5*
3Wood: TBD
Irons: 1 Iron Golf 3i-PW
Putter: O-Blade
Hobby: I enjoy collecting samples of vintage Ping

I use my shot distance calculator on my Neo all the time. I press the Ok button twice to start and then walk to my ball. I press the Ok button again to stop it. Gives me the shot distance each time.

Looking into range finders as well. Having both completes the package.

As I have stated before, I carry a laser and a GPS. I use the laser on every shot outside 50 yards and inside 300, except for drives, and I use the GPS only if I have no line of sight.... once every 5 or 6 rounds? I do use the GPS to give distance for my partners because it is quicker. I stopped using the GPS when I saw the variation in distance given by several different models, carried by different members of our group, on the par 3's. I may not be that consistent with my distances but a 10 yard difference is the reason I carry a device in the first place. I always recommend a laser to anyone who asks. For the GPS minded, I would stay away from skycaddie,,their after sale charges are ridiculous.

Lightweight Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Putter (several models unfortunately)studio stock 4
AP2 Irons 4-PW
ProV1X Balls
2 and 3 TP Rescue07 Burner TP 9.560, 56, 52 CG 12 WedgesOld man CartSi vis pacem, para bellum

Note: This thread is 5227 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!