IGNORED

Hitting Down on the ball with Longer Irons

Note: This thread is 5466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Exactly. It is only a ball difference in position comparing a 3 iron to a 9 iron. Maybe a ball and half.

Depends on the golfer

Here is what I mean:
) 2 iron could cover a distance of between 180 and 200 yards, making it a club primarily used for a second shot on extremely long holes i.e. mostly par 5s. Make sure you practice with it on the driving range to gauge the distance and accuracy within your capability. 2) Set up properly. Unlike when hitting a driver, you should address the ball in the middle of your stance. This will guarantee a solid strike that hits the ball low heading towards the green. If you position the ball just inside your left heel, the ball would be lifted. 3) You want to attack the ball with the club head coming from inside the target line. A shallow arc also allows you to sweep the ball with your long irons as opposed to the steep swing you use with the shorter irons to hit down and through the ball. 4) Hit the 2 iron in the same manner you would any iron by using a descending, even stroke that takes advantage of the iron's angle to carry the ball for the required distance

This is what I mean by a slight sweeping motion but that you are still hitting down on the ball.

Here is a quote from Tiger himself:
To hit a long iron from the fairway consistently, first position the ball opposite a point about two inches inside your front heel. Try to shape the shot. Play for either a fade or a draw, then commit to it. Take a slightly open stance for a fade, slightly closed for a draw, and swing the club along your foot alignment. Take the club away slowly, and keep a wide arc. The average player doesn't trust the loft of a long iron. Most players restrict their shoulder turn and hurry their downswing, either beating down on the ball or trying to lift it. Maintaining tempo and posture will help. Try this drill: Tee the ball for a 3-iron. With a full backswing and downswing, try to hit the ball just 100 yards (or swing at a speed 50 percent of normal). You'll be surprised at how solidly you'll hit the ball. Turn wide and finish high Try to make a big shoulder turn and create a sweeping motion by maintaining good width on your backswing and follow-through. Finish high, with your weight moving in the same direction as the ball.

Also from Tiger:

The player who beats down on the ball with a long iron will have a tough time getting it in the air. Jack Nicklaus, one of the game's best long-iron players, never seemed to take a divot.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also see alot of pros not taking noticeable divots. You are hitting down on the long irons even if you are sweeping them a bit, otherwise why don't you take a big divots like you do with your SW? I hardly ever take a big divot with my long irons but I am still hitting down on them. You are basically making the same swing throughout but there is no way that the club is doing the same thing because it is longer.

This is something I noticed and my instructor noticed. He also said he doesn't care if I take a big divot but there needs to be evidence of a downward strike. I was working with a 7 iron and I was taking small divots and he said this was fine. But if the grass is untouched then I came out of the shot. This is one of the things I am working on is staying down through impact.

The reason you dont take or cant take a divot as big with a 3 iron is the length of the club and the width of the swing. The length of the club determines this as well as ball position. The sweeper of irons and the divot taker are not equal. You aren't going to hit the ball as long because a wedge of 47 degrees will be a 47 degree wedge. As opposed to a person who takes a divot and the wedge is delofted to 42 degrees because of this downward strike. Sure you can hit good shots and sweep it. But I believe and it is the belief of most that a downward strike is the way to achieve the best results consistantly. With long irons this will only be a very small divot or none but at impact the hands are ahead of the ball.

Brian

Depends on the golfer

Tiger says one thing and does another. He definitely takes a healthy divot with his long irons. I can't remember watching him hit a iron shot off the tee and not seeing him take a divot.

Brian

He also said he doesn't care if I take a big divot but there needs to be evidence of a downward strike. I was working with a 7 iron and I was taking small divots and he said this was fine. But if the grass is untouched then I came out of the shot. This is one of the things I am working on is staying down through impact.

I agree that you see evidence with the long irons....that is what I have been saying. The reason the club is delofted is because your hands lead the club through impact, not necessarily because you take a divot. I can get my hands leading the club through impact without taking a divot.

Tiger says one thing and does another. He definitely takes a healthy divot with his long irons. I can't remember watching him hit a iron shot off the tee and not seeing him take a divot.

I'm am just quoting what he said because you picked him as your example.

Here a pic of Tiger hitting his 3I: Where is the healthy divot?

Bryan A

I agree that you see evidence with the long irons....that is what I have been saying. The reason the club is delofted is because your hands lead the club through impact, not necessarily because you take a divot. I can get my hands leading the club through impact without taking a divot.

I could not see the image. I agree with you. Should you hit down on the ball with every club except your driver? Yes. Does this mean you are going to have this big divot shoot up after hitting a great 3 iron? Probably not.

I am more referring to Tiger's stinger where he really traps the ball with his long irons. My belief is that too many people think the "sweeper" and the "digger" are equal. This is not true and if you are a sweeper you might not want to change because there is no difference. I am arguing there is and I believe the physics of golf are in that favor.

Brian

I could not see the image. I agree with you. Should you hit down on the ball with every club except your driver? Yes. Does this mean you are going to have this big divot shoot up after hitting a great 3 iron? Probably not.

Sorry, I fixed the pic. Okay, I can agree with what you just said here and that is about the same thing I am saying. With the stinger, well that is bringing in a specific shot and that can change things. I am just referring to the average long iron swing.

Bryan A

I see alot of pros take very noticiable divots with there long irons (I am thinking tiger in particular).

I never said you shouldnt take a divot....to me smaller is better. I dont see many 3 iron shots from quality golfers that take a hugh divot. A small one yes.

909 D3 with Diamana White X
909 F3 15degree with Aldila Vodoo
ZM Forged 2-PW
Voley 56 and 60
Studio Newport 1.5 PRo V1X

I was told a long time ago that you basically take enough to take the grass off the top.

Bryan A

I never said you shouldnt take a divot....to me smaller is better. I dont see many 3 iron shots from quality golfers that take a hugh divot. A small one yes.

It seems like it would be very difficult under normal non-wet conditions to take a huge sand wedge lookin divot because of the length of the club. I have played with a very good player who did take a big divot with his 3 iron off of a tee and it was a very good shot like every other shot he hit. He looked lazy through the swing and hammered the ball. I am not sure about smaller being better but if you get ball first then turf, you are probably going to be ok.

Brian

• Administrator
I'm going to make it very simple for everyone.

The bottom of the clubhead's arc, in almost every situation with every club except the driver, should be four inches in front of the ball.

With a wedge, the divot will naturally be deeper than with a 3I or 4I, but the bottom of the arc will still be about four inches in front of the ball.

That's it. Simple.

Now for a bit longer, not-as-simple stuff...

If the bottom of your arc is AT the ball - which is what "sweeping" the ball implies to me - then you probably catch a lot of shots a wee bit thin or fat. And if the bottom of the arc is at the ball, then the shaft is perpendicular to the ground at impact, and we all know that's not right: the shaft should be leaning forward at impact. And if it's leaning forward at impact, then it's not yet reached the bottom of its arc. So again, yes, you hit down on the ball with even your long irons or 3W.

This forward lean and striking down on the ball is one of the biggest things I'm working on in my swing. I got to a 3-ish handicap as a "picker" of the ball, but I hit my fair share of slightly thin or slightly fat shots and my timing had to be spectacular. With a better swing I've gained distance and will gain accuracy once I get out of my old habits.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 5466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!