IGNORED

No John Daly Thread

Iowa Hawkeye
Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I understand Couples point, but like I said in my original post if Daly didn't want to sign autographs that would have not been great, but far better than the contempt and disrespect he showed by making a half assed effort.

I agree with you 100%. You know---JD has written a song about his fans, and has thanked them often for supporting him. You would think that he would want to show them real appreciation in person and not do a half-hearted effort.

Here is a story about not signing autographs---the right way. In the 1989 Nabisco (now the Tour Championship), my son and I went to Hilton Head to see the top 30, especially Payne Stewart. Greg Norman was immensely popular at that time. On Thursday, when he came out of the locker room to walk to the practice putting green, he was beseiged by young fans for autographs. Mind you---this was the first day of the tournament, and requesting autographs like that prior to the round was not allowed, and the warning was printed on every attendance ticket. What did the Shark do? He said with a smile, "Sorry, my hands are full." He had an apple in one hand, and a banana in the other. When he walked up to the practice putting green, he looked at the caddies, and asked, "Any one want an apple or a banana?", and then tossed them away. And he laughed. That was his way of nicely getting out of the need to say, "Now, kids, you cannot ask for autographs now. Please let me through." I looked at my son, and we both laughed.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Interesting discussion. I do think that the public needs to show some sympathy and understanding for a player who has clearly had a bad day. Not to do so is really pretty crass and clueless, don't you think? If he felt so bad, JD should of course have just ignored the fans and high-tailed it out of there, there's no excuse for such behavior. But I certainly understand Couples' point of view.

After a Women's U.S. Open Semifinal or Final (Flushing Meadows) in the early 90's my friend and I went to a small restaurant around 66th and 8th. The place was not crowded at the time, just a few tables occupied. Shortly afterwards Stephie Graff came in and sat quietly at a nearby table with some fellow (her agent?). A few hours earlier I had been in the stands watching her lose a very tough match (against whom I forget now) - needless to say, since she never went down without a great fight. This was a major disappointment to me, as I was a big fan of hers. Anyway, I resisted the strong urge to say something positive and appreciative to her, much as I wanted to - maybe she would have appreciated it, maybe not. That must have been a bit of a low point in her life, but she's tough and bounced right back of course. What a remarkable athlete, tactician and ball striker!

My point? The public has a responsibility too, not just the players. Discretion should be exercised.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I liked JD in his prime.

During his continual "falls off the wagon" I kept hoping to see him come back.

But at some point in the last year or so I finally got to the a point where "this is just too big a waste to tolerate". I find it hard to care any more.

BT

Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!