IGNORED

Ball closest to ProV1

Note:Β This thread is 5449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I'm not sure how a ball that has a non-permeable plastic or urethane cover can "absorb" water. It is true that balls that have been in lakes for long periods of time can lose some of their playablility, but that is mostly due to being "stored" in lower than ideal temperatures under the water. Golf balls need to be stored between 70 & 80 degrees, and the temperatures at the bottom of the water is usually much less, even during the summer months.

I thought this was common knowledge but apparently not, can I direct your attention sirs to: http://www.thegolfchannel.com/equipm...usiness-29260/ β€œSince our top priority is product quality, we do not approve of the re-used business model,” said one executive at a top company who asked not to be named. β€œThe difference in performance of a ball directly from the factory compared to one that has been subjected to severe weather and water conditions can be significant. Therefore, we don't think consumers who want quality and consistency are well served with re-used balls.” β€œAll golf balls will lose distance if they have been submerged in water for months,” said Steve Ogg, vice president of golf ball research and development for Callaway Golf. β€œThe magnitude of the loss will be very dependent upon the material characteristics of the cover and/or mantle. Different materials have different barrier properties. The spin characteristics are likely to be impacted to a lesser degree. The duration of time that the balls have been exposed to sunlight and water will typically be more important if the cover appears to be in good shape, with no cuts or scuffing.” But is a new coat of paint the cure for all ills? Depends on your perspective. β€œIf the ball has been refinished, the aerodynamic characteristics may be significantly degraded,” Ogg said. β€œThe effect of re-coating will be dependent upon the starting aerodynamic characteristics.”

In the Bag:

R7 Draw, stiff Exsar FS2
F-50 3-wood, stiff Exsar FS2
F-50 5-wood, stiff Exsar FS2 MP-60 3-PW, reg TT dynamic gold MP Tour Style 54.10 and 60.09,reg TT dynamic gold Bobby Grace DCT Response, w/ golf pride "2 thumb" grip B330S

FWIW - I've been playing Nike One Platinums recently (haven't yet tried the One Tour series yet, but should be similar) and honestly am starting to like them more than ProV1s.

You definitely lose some distance and the trajectory can get pretty high, but I find that they perform much better off the tee in terms of anti slice/hook than the Titleists yet still have a crap load of spin for greenside shots. Feels nice off the putterhead too!

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I played the ProV1 for two years. I recently had the opportunity to play the

If they aren't any cheaper than the pro-v1, what's the point (unless you just hate the name Titleist for some reason)?

The pro-v1 is the standard every other ball is measured against. "Just as good as for the same price" doesn't cut it. It needs to be either better or cheaper.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5Β° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15Β° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5Β° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53Β° & 58Β° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I think the high end srixons are pretty darn close to a pro v1. Golf Galaxy had last year's premium ball, zurs, going for $20 bucks a dozen. I bought 8 dozen immediately.
My Tools:

Taylor Made Burner Driver
F60 3 & 5 Wood
Cleveland Halo 3i Hybrid Mizuno MP57 irons 4-PW Cleveland 52 & 56 Degree Wedges Srixon ZURS Ball

[COLOR=navy]
β€œSince our top priority is product quality, we do not approve of the re-used business model,” said one executive at a top company who asked not to be named. β€œThe difference in performance of a ball directly from the factory compared to one that has been subjected to severe weather and water conditions can be significant. Therefore, we don't think consumers who want quality and consistency are well served with re-used balls.”

β€œAll golf balls will lose distance if they have been submerged in water for months,” said Steve Ogg, vice president of golf ball research and development for Callaway Golf.

Of course a golf company executive will say that, they want to sell more golf balls. The quote from Golf Channel doens't help much either because who funds the Golf Channel? Manufacturers' advertising dollars. It is the same as car manufacture's recommending oil changes every 3000 miles, they want to sell more oil. I follow those guidelines on my Corvette Z06 (I also clean my clubs after every round), but I haven't changed the oil in my 140,000 mile Jeep Cherokee in 4 years... it's still running strong too. Think about the company you work for, everything is about sales, how do you increase them? Sell more. If people are using re-cycled balls then they aren't buying new ones. I'm not saying that they don't degrade over time, but not to the degree they lead consumers to believe. Balls that sit at the bottom of a lake for years are crap. But purchasing mint, or AAAA quality balls can save you a fortune. I get recycled pro v 1's AAAA rated from lostgolfballs.com and they perform just like the new ones and it saves me a bundle. I believe my eyes, not what some executive that is trying to sell more balls says.

In my midsize staff bag:

Diablo 9deg Draw Driver - Aldila NVS Reg Flex
Diablo 13 deg Draw 3 Wood - Aldila NVS Reg Flex
Slingshot Tour 2 Hybrid Slingshot Tour 3 Hybrid AP1 4 Iron through Gap wedge - Nippon NS Pro 100 Reg Flex Shafts - Golf Pride MC Decade Red Grips Vokey Spin Milled 56/10 Sand Wedge

A couple of the guys I golf with are gaming the ProV1 ''practice" balls.

Great balls and on the "List of Conforming Golf Balls" as well (unlike an X-Out). $25 at Golf Discount if you can still find them...

Link to Titleist Site listing details of X-Outs vs PRACTICE balls
In the bag:
905R 9.5Β° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5Β° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19Β° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51Β° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

...I haven't changed the oil in my 140,000 mile Jeep Cherokee in 4 years...

There was a long debate on new vs. used balls on here somewhere.

The AAAA rating is based on what the ball looks like on the OUTSIDE. Who knows what the actual condition of the ball is on the inside.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5Β° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15Β° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5Β° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53Β° & 58Β° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Studies have shown that lake balls (refurbished or not) fail to perform at anything like the standard of new balls, they might look good as new but they will have absorbed water and as such won't fly as true or long.

True, it has been proven that they lose a little bit after sitting in the water... but still, they closest thing to a new ProV1 is a refurbished ProV1....

I've seen refurbished balls at shop-ko for 12.99 a dozen....I'm sure at least one per dozen was found in the woods.

Id go with a Bridgestone B330 or Srixon Z-Star. Both are just as good if not better than a Pro V1 and less expensive. B330s and Z-Stars go for about $40 a dozen.
Another good option if you can find them are Precept U-Tri Tours. They are a 3-piece, urethane covered ball that is just as good as a Pro V1 but can be bought for less than $20 a dozen.
They are an older ball that hasnt been made for a few years though, so they can be hard to find.
Wal-Mart around here sells them they recent cut the price from $20 a dozen to $11 a dozen.

Whats in my :sunmountain:Β C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno:Β JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno:Β JPX 850Β 15*, :mizuno:Β JPX-850 19*, :mizuno:Β JPX Fli-Hi #4,Β :mizuno:Β JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno:Β MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland:Β Smart Square BladeΒ and :bridgestone:Β B330-S

Id go with a Bridgestone B330 or Srixon Z-Star. Both are just as good if not better than a Pro V1 and less expensive. B330s and Z-Stars go for about $40 a dozen.

Wow thats ridiculous prices

In my TerraFirma X Bag
360 Ti 10.5Β° Driver
FT-i Squareway 15.0Β° 3w
04 Big Bertha 19.0Β° 5w
04 Big Bertha 4-9, PW, GW +1/2" Irons Vokey Spin-Milled 56Β°10Β° SW C02 Milled 35" Putter Contour Shoes and SofJoy GlovesA mix of NXT and Laddie Xtreme balls

The Nike One Platinum is by FAR the best ball for the price right now...at $30/dozen it's an extreme bargain and it is just as playable and solid as the ProV1.

In the bizzag...

Driver--TaylorMade Burner 9.5*
3W--TaylorMade Burner 15*
Hybrid--TaylorMade Burner Rescue 19*Irons--Maltby KE4 Tour(4-PW)Wedges--Cleveland CG14(52,56,60)Putter--Wilson CI1Ball--Nike One Platinum

The ProV1 and ProV1x are still very good balls to play however they have become expensive. If you are looking for a ball to practice with inbetween tournaments, assuming you do, I would look at the Taylor Made Burner TP LDP golf ball. They are less than $30 a dozen. Another comprable ball is the Callaway HX Bite, and that also comes to about the same price. If you are not worried about the money, Nike One Platinum/Black is a good ball to keep in mind as well. To be honest, for practice purposes, I get sufficient spin and distance when I play Top Flite Gamers. They are cheap and come with 15 in the pack. I golf for a D1 university, and practice with them so I'm not lying when I say that they are good enough to practice with. For tournaments I used Taylor Made TP Black balls. Hope this helps!

Note:Β This thread is 5449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!