IGNORED

Ball closest to ProV1

Note:Β This thread is 5449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I have been out of golf for five years and I don't know what's going on with equipment. When I quit, I was playing ProV1. I have to have a ball like that because I like to spin it. Of course, you want all the length you can get and Prov1 is fine there. Today, I think I will try Prov1x. But... I am one who likes a bargain... are there any balls that are close to ProV1 in performance but don't cost as much? I pay $45/doz. If I found something close, it would have to be, say, $35/doz or less or else I will just play Prov1. I tried to locate some logo overrun Prov1's but I didn't find any at a good price. And I would buy a few dozen to get a good price.

May 2009: Back into golf after 5 yr layoff, lovin' it! Best ever hdcp: +1.2
Driver: Titleist 983E 9.5*, 3W: Turner 13*, Hybrid: Turner 16*, Irons 4-PW: Taylormade RAC MB blades, Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action RTG, Putter: Odyssey White Steel Tri-ball SRT

I played the ProV1 for two years. I recently had the opportunity to play the
Bridgestone tour b330-rx. I found that this ball is as close to the ProV1 in performance as there is. It gets great distance on the drive and fairway shots
and it has the spin to hold on the green. I love the feel of the ball and it appears to be very durable. It is for players who have an average swing speed below 105mph. They cost about $42.00 for a dozen so they are not
much less expensive than the ProV1. If you have a higher average swing speed than 105mph. the Bridgestone B330-s might be another ball you
might be interested in. Same qualities as the RX, only it is for those with
a higher swing speed.

target has prov1 refurbs for $26 a dozen. its what I play and I notice zero differences between normal prov1's and refurbished prov1's.

In my freestyle:
Driver: 10.5* G5 with UST V2
F.W. wood: 16* retro raylor with Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold
Irons: i5 3-pw. Stiff cs lite shafts
Wedges: 8620 51*, 56*, and 60* Putter: classics 1 34""Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

A couple of the guys I golf with are gaming the ProV1 ''practice" balls.

These are brand new with the word PRACTICE stamped on them. One guy is a 3hcp....one is a 6hcp. They speak very highly of these balls and see no reason to pay for the $45 dozen.

I think they are getting these balls for $30 dozen.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I played the ProV1 for two years. I recently had the opportunity to play the

Totally agree with this, although in England the Bridgestones are quite significantly cheaper than the pro v's so it's really a no-brainer.

target has prov1 refurbs for $26 a dozen. its what I play and I notice zero differences between normal prov1's and refurbished prov1's.

Studies have shown that lake balls (refurbished or not) fail to perform at anything like the standard of new balls, they might look good as new but they will have absorbed water and as such won't fly as true or long.

In the Bag:

R7 Draw, stiff Exsar FS2
F-50 3-wood, stiff Exsar FS2
F-50 5-wood, stiff Exsar FS2 MP-60 3-PW, reg TT dynamic gold MP Tour Style 54.10 and 60.09,reg TT dynamic gold Bobby Grace DCT Response, w/ golf pride "2 thumb" grip B330S

• Administrator
Yeah, all the premium balls are $40 to $45. And you seem like the type who can tell the difference between a $30 and a $45 ball, so...

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Powerfader, The cheapest I have seen the B330-s and rx is Β£30, have you seen them cheaper than this? The RX is a great ball but it doesn't check up as well as a Pro-v

Studies have shown that lake balls (refurbished or not) fail to perform at anything like the standard of new balls, they might look good as new but they will have absorbed water and as such won't fly as true or long.

I'm sure balls that have been submerged in water for long periods will deteriorate but the lake/refurbished balls I have used have been as good as new ones.

In reply to the original post I think the TM TP balls are closest to the Pro-V, they are available pretty cheap on ebay.
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gifΒ Idea ProΒ 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

I noticed today that I can get a dozen ProV1 and ProV1x mixed balls for 14.99/dozen at the local Canadian Tire. Guaranteed not to be cut or have excessive damage. I picked up the 4 dozen they had, and after inspecting them, im totally happy with my purchase. I would have played a sleeve of them today if it wasnt pouring rain..

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Taylormade TP Red or Black

They are premium balls normally $40+/dozen and on sale everywhere 2 dozen for $55

What's In My Bag:
Driver:Β TaylorMade R11s 9* w/ Fujikura Motore F1
3 Wood:Β TaylorMade R11s w/ Mitsubishi FubukiΒ 
Irons:Β Taylormade R11
Wedges:Β Titleist SM4 Vokey 52.08, 56.11, 60.04Β 
Putter: Odyssey Metal-X #9
Ball: TaylormadeΒ Penta TP5

I gave the Nike One Vapors a try today and they do not spin quite as much as the ProV1's but do have siginificant bite to them. The big plus is they are only 30 dollars for a dozen.

Also, if I am not mistaken the refurbished ProV1's you can find at Dicks Sporting Goods for less then thirty dollars were just miss prints cosmetically, but they play true to their normal more pricier counterparts.

MR

Ok, well I've heard that the Top Flite Dimple in Dimple technology has significant spin to it i.e the Top Flite Freak, or the Top Flite Gamer. I've heard that these balls are the half-price Pro V1. Also, I've heard great things about the website Lostgolfballs.com . If you need great balls, at a very very low price, then go check it out!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9ΒΊ
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50ΒΊ, 54ΒΊ
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Taylormade RAC 58ΒΊ
Putter:Β Ping Darby 32" shaft

Β 

Powerfader, The cheapest I have seen the B330-s and rx is Β£30, have you seen them cheaper than this? The RX is a great ball but it doesn't check up as well as a Pro-v

I've seen the new b330s (don't use the rx) for Β£28 per doz but the point I was making was the new Pro v1(x) released earlier this year were retailing at Β£45 online! (never mind what they're charging in pro shops across this green and pleasant land). I do agree that there is a very slight difference in spin around the green (practically negligible), although in my experience this is a small price to pay for a good five yards increase in distance with every club. Also worth noting that the b330 is the only ball that "feels" like a prov1, it doesnt have that clicky feeling off the putter that high-end callaways/srixons still suffer from. Finally I think the vast majority of refurbished balls are sourced from lakes (please correct me if I'm under a misapprehension) so they will have absorbed water, they can repaint and re mark them but their structural integrity will have been compromised.

In the Bag:

R7 Draw, stiff Exsar FS2
F-50 3-wood, stiff Exsar FS2
F-50 5-wood, stiff Exsar FS2 MP-60 3-PW, reg TT dynamic gold MP Tour Style 54.10 and 60.09,reg TT dynamic gold Bobby Grace DCT Response, w/ golf pride "2 thumb" grip B330S

Heard the Top Flite Gamers are the best ball for the buck out there... Also heard that Titleist NXT Tour are the "Poor man's ProV"
In My Bag:
Driver: R7 Limited Matrix Ozik X-con Stiff
3 Wood: 909F3 Aldila Voodoo Stiff
Irons: AP1 3-PW DG S200
Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54Β° NickelWedge: Forged 60Β°Putter: Rossa Balls: Pro V1XAvatar: Nicklaus North Golf Course, Whistler BC

I get them for $1 a ball at my local Play it Again Sports. I can always dig out 12-24 brand new balls, only thing is they are written on or have a logo. Both Pro V1s and x's.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Heard the Top Flite Gamers are the best ball for the buck out there... Also heard that Titleist NXT Tour are the "Poor man's ProV"

Just finished a round this afternoon/evening using the Top Flite Gamers. I had an eagle on a par 5, holed a 119 yard gap wedge from the fairway (first time I've holed anything longer than a chip or short pitch). Landed past the hole, took a hop backward, rolled a couple feet and disappeared. Nice feel off the tee, great feel on and around the greens. I played a round with ProV1s last week and I don't give anything up with the Gamer. ProV1s may certainly be worth the money if you're a low single digit handicapper, but you gotta give the Gamers a shot-$20 for 12.

I'm not sure how a ball that has a non-permeable plastic or urethane cover can "absorb" water. It is true that balls that have been in lakes for long periods of time can lose some of their playablility, but that is mostly due to being "stored" in lower than ideal temperatures under the water. Golf balls need to be stored between 70 & 80 degrees, and the temperatures at the bottom of the water is usually much less, even during the summer months.

In my midsize staff bag:

Diablo 9deg Draw Driver - Aldila NVS Reg Flex
Diablo 13 deg Draw 3 Wood - Aldila NVS Reg Flex
Slingshot Tour 2 Hybrid Slingshot Tour 3 Hybrid AP1 4 Iron through Gap wedge - Nippon NS Pro 100 Reg Flex Shafts - Golf Pride MC Decade Red Grips Vokey Spin Milled 56/10 Sand Wedge

Pinnacle platinum feel. Like them better than prov1's

In the bag:

Driver: R9 460
Fairway Woods:FT 3 Wood, Burner 5 Wood
Irons: R7 DrawWedges: 56 sand, Bob Vokey Spin-Milled 60 LobPutter: DetourBall: NXT Extreme

Pinnacle platinum feel. Like them better than prov1's

That ball got rave reviews in a recent issue of Golf Digest. As well as the Top Flite Gamer and Srixon Soft Feel. All three scored through the roof for spin and feel.

I am a recent convert to the Srixon Z-STAR. I love Pro V1's and have played them for years, but the Z-STAR is a better ball.

Note:Β This thread is 5449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!