IGNORED

How do you keep score?

xringx
Note: This thread is 5399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yourself.

I have no problem with that. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting "15" in my handicap on this site if I knew I took a couple of mulligans each round.

If your out their to have fun, then who gives a damn if you don't count one? If you just want to practice a certain shot at that point in time, I'd encourage dropping another on the spot.

I think we're on the same page :)

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I count everything and play by the rules.

Luckily at my home course it is easy to tell whether or not we need to hit a provisional off the tee. If you are in the trees hit one because it only takes a short bounce off of one to be out of bounds.

The one thing we do in our casual (non-tournament) rounds is stop once we hit our esc (for me its 8 or 9 depending on the course i am playing). Honestly this may come up once a round for each of us.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So, what I take from this is that if the round isn’t going your way, and you’re alone, it suddenly manifests itself into a practice round – I always operated under the impression the you are implicitly playing a stipulated round or it’s a practice round – before the first tee shot is hit. Because that’s tantamount to submitting the scores you want to submit.

i play with a guy like this. He is so afraid of his handicap going up that on hole 17 or 18 it always turns into a *practice* round.

Needless to say this guy is not invited on my team for handicapped scrambles.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

• Administrator
Who am I cheating when I take a mulligan?

You're cheating at golf.

You don't have to cheat another person in order for it to be cheating.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You're cheating at golf.

Ye gods.

Some people are determined not to let others have any fun ;) You know, when I go to the course, I don't sign any rules documents or affidavits. My group and I try to more or less conform to the rules we know, but ultimately, the rules are whatever we decide to make them. "Oh, shoot that one again, you can do better than that" isn't "cheating."

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

• Administrator
Ye gods.

No, you're not really understanding.

I couldn't care less that you cheat at golf. But you asked the question what you were cheating, and you got answers.
You know, when I go to the course, I don't sign any rules documents or affidavits. My group and I try to more or less conform to the rules we know, but ultimately, the rules are whatever we decide to make them.

Then here's a phrase you're going to hear alot around here: you're not playing golf. You're making up your own game, but it isn't golf. Golf has certain rules.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No, you're not really understanding.

The problem is that

you're calling me a cheater . That's a very loaded word. And it's wrong I'm not necessarily conforming to the official Rules of Golf, but cheating implies duplicity. I never said I was conforming to those rules, and the people I play with don't pretend to conform perfectly to those rules either. We're not cheating. We may not be playing by your rules. But we have our own and we're OK with them.
Then here's a phrase you're going to hear alot around here: you're not playing golf. You're making up your own game, but it isn't golf. Golf has certain rules.

Fortunately, the USGA does not have a copyright or trademark on the term golf ;)

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

But Icarus, you may be missing the point... in a time when we are afraid to keep kids' soccer scores because it might cause distress, everyone wins a trophy for showing up, we don't allow failure, and we want equality of outcome for everyone, keeping score according to the rules is so... how do I put it... so, "out-dated." Are you suggesting golf actually rewards skill and merit? If we outlaw dodge ball, I want to outlaw triple bogies. If I pull a three foot putt, it does not really count -- I get to do it again.

Don't know what got into to me... I just snapped. Imagine, a game like golf actually has a rule book and expected behavior. My apologies, I just lost it for a moment there. I forgot golf is all about preserving your self-esteem, one way or another.

RC

The problem is that

Gotta agree with iacas on this one. There are certain rules in golf and if you don't follow them, it's considered cheating. I don't think anyone is calling you out or taking offense to how you enjoy the game, but if you don't follow the rules as the USGA has written them, technically it is in fact cheating. The great thing about golf though is that you're not cheating anyone but yourself.

Following the rules of golf is about maintaining the tradition and integrity of the game. If your handicap is correct in your profile, I assume you're new to the game? I can understand your position because I have friends who are also new to the game and they don't count all strokes, take mulligans, etc. and that's fine. I think once you get more serious about the game, you'll start to understand where some of us are coming from who advocate following the rules as the USGA has written them.

cheat
/tʃit/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [cheet] Show IPA
–verb (used with object)
1. to defraud; swindle: He cheated her out of her inheritance.
2. to deceive; influence by fraud: He cheated us into believing him a hero.
3. to elude; deprive of something expected: He cheated the law by suicide.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

I'll put in my vote as another who plays by the rules. The only rule I ever break (like others have said) is if I hit one OB and didn't hit a provisional, I'll treat it like a lateral hazard for pace of play. A lot of courses say to do that anyway if you read the local rules, and at the Houston open this year all of what really should have been OB was marked with red stakes, so even at the highest level they play that way. I can only remember having to do it one time in the last year or more, usually its pretty clear when a provisional is needed.

I used to move the ball if I thought it would damage my clubs but now I started taking my lumps and just chipping out of the bad situation or taking an unplayable, because usually if you are up against a tree or rock you hit a bad shot to get there.

I don't think I really became a golfer until I started playing by the rules; the scoring is so much more rewarding when you know you really did it. The first time I broke 100 I shot a 99, but I had taken a mulligan on the first tee after hitting a snap hook OB, and it felt hollow. After that I decided to really play by the rules; a couple weeks later the golf gods rewarded me with an honest 92, and it felt so much better.

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

Man you guys are uptight. I mean, I find it lame when people take multiple mulligans every round, improve their lie all the time, and never count their missed 4 footers as actual strokes, but that's because at that level they're just trying to trick themselves into believing they're better than they are.

I never improve my lie, and I do my fair share of front nines with only knockdowns and punchs for 2nd shots to escape the trees, but I've played my fair share of rounds with a mulligan off the tee, too. I'm not keeping an official score. I'm trying to perfect an athletic skill, not the tightness of my *******. If I've had an up and down day off the tee and I'm tired of not getting to try an honest 8 with a good angle off the fairway into the green, some days I'll take a mully somewhere on the back. Claiming I or Johnnythan aren't playing golf because we might average 1/2 a mulligan every round is like claiming a hitter's not really playing baseball cause he sometimes takes a couple more cuts than he declared he was going to before batting practice started. Lighten up.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

but I've played my fair share of rounds with a mulligan off the tee, too. I'm not keeping an official score. If I've had an up and down day off the tee and I'm tired of not getting to try an honest 8 with a good angle off the fairway into the green, some days I'll take a mully somewhere on the back.

So, what you’re really saying is that you’re not actually a “13,” but more like a bogey plus golfer… right?

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

Man you guys are uptight. I mean, I find it lame when people take multiple mulligans every round, improve their lie all the time, and never count their missed 4 footers as actual strokes, but that's because at that level they're just trying to trick themselves into believing they're better than they are.

That might just be the worst analogy I've ever heard. That's why its called batting practice, because it's not done during game time, but whatever, I don't think anyone here is uptight or trying to argue. What you do on the course will not affect our lives in any way. I think all anyone is trying to say is to give honesty a try, you'll feel so much better knowing that your score was legit.

It's just a game, dude. It's supposed to be fun. Chill out a bit and let people play how they want to play.

Play whatever you want to, but if you're not following the rules don't call it GOLF and don't compare your score to mine - we are playing different games...

In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

if it for handicap then rules of golf but i don't see anything wrong with say this is a practice round and dropping a couple balls in the bunker and hit them out for practice just don't even keep score for one hole don't worry about score cause amazing one of those practice rounds might just lower your handicap wink wink

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

No one is debating what the rules of golf state. Most serious golfers (I suggest a definition here as people who play tournaments, practice as often as play a round, attempt to understand the golf swing) play by all of the rules of golf.

I think golf should still be enjoyed. I really do not care what my partners do as long as they enjoy this great game. I play by all of the rules and that brings me enjoyment. And I have no problem with my father dropping when he is out of bounds or taking the incorrect drop from a yellow staked hazard. He enjoys his saturday round as much as I do.

When I was a kid I loved basketball. We played Horse, 21, follow the leader, 3 on 3, 1 on 1, etc. I played basketball everyday and I really loved the game, but we were not following the rules of basketball.

Just my internet 2 cents (no real space value)

G10
SteelHead III
I3
Vockey
588 BC-2

Note: This thread is 5399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!