IGNORED

Putters: Mallet or Blade?

ramrockgolfer35
Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been thinking about getting a new putter, what is the major difference between mallet and blade putters? feel?

Getting better........

What's in my Cart bag:

983k 10.5* driver, Reg flex graphite 904f 15* fairway wood, Reg flex Graphite Cobra SSI Irons 3-PWTA900 52* wedgeTA588 56* wedgeSeemore FGP2 custom putter w/ a Winn urban camo gripGolf Pride Tour Wrap gripsHome Courses:Horseshoe Bay: Ramrock, ...

I have always had trouble putting with mallet putter on fast greens. I tend to keep them on plane a bit better but distance control is off on fast paced greens. I am all around a better putter with a blade style. I had to pick on and stay with it so I selected the blade, feel and control have been satisfactory. Hope this helps.

FT-5 Tour 9.5 Driver Fujikura E360 X-Stiff
14 Degree Fairway Wood Fujikura Platform
Fusion 21 Degree Hybrid Aldila NV Stiff
X-20 Irons (Uniflex Nippon Shafts)
X Tour Vintage Wedges 54 and 58 Degree Studio Design Stainless Newport 35" Diablo Golf Ball"I must learn there is a difference between...

I think you need to determine your putter stroke and then start looking at putters that fit that type of putting style.

Personally, I use the straight back and straight through...so I have had better luck keeping my putter on line using a mallet putter.

At one time, I used more of the swinging gate type of stroke and I used a blade then.

I will say though, as the poster above mentioned, that I am having a harder time on fast greens with my mallet putter.

For the recent tourney I played in...the greens were lightning and I went back to the blade for the weekend because I could control the pace a lot better.
Driver: 10.5 Adams Speedline 9032LS with VooDoo XNV6 X-stiff
Fairway Woods: G15 4wood with Serrano 75 X-stiff
Irons: Ping i15 3-PW w/ AWT Shafts
Wedges: Spin Milled Oil Can Vokey 50deg/54deg/58deg
Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza SpiderBall: Taylormade PentaBest Score 2010 Season: 75Home...

I almost bought the PING Karsten Series Piper Putter but anything larger than that is too much for me. I grew up with the Acushnet bulls-eye flange, hence I've been programmed.
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

I liked the weight of a mallet but I eventually tracked down a heavy blade so I get the blade style I like with the weight of a mallet behind the ball.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

I always used a blade back before I quit about 10 years ago and loved it but since starting back up I had issues lining up my puts with a blade so I picked up a 2 ball white steel and love it. It helped me line my putts up better and I am getting better everyday with it.

Its pretty much what you have confidence in. I would hit up your local shop and try everything until you get to what you have the best feel with. That's how I picked out the 2 ball for myself. I tried every blade, mallet and even belly putters i could find and the 2 ball stood out the most and I don't regret it none.

Good luck

To me, mallets have no feel and Ive never been able to putt very well with a mallet. Im a blade man.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Does a mallet have the same efect vs a blade putter as a cavity back iron vs a blade iron?

5 Wood
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Does a mallet have the same efect vs a blade putter as a cavity back iron vs a blade iron?

Some do. The Odyssey Sabretooth is one example of that. That thing has so much perimiter weighting that you can hit the ball on the heel or toe and it you still wont miss or lose much distance.

Typically the bigger and uglier the putter is, the more forgiving it is...

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Some do. The Odyssey Sabretooth is one example of that. That thing has so much perimiter weighting that you can hit the ball on the heel or toe and it you still wont miss or lose much distance.

I saw this Ping belly putter the other day that was big as a dinner plate.

5 Wood
52*

You mean on the golfer's ego or the actual difference in results?

Sorry, couldn't help myself

I've gone back and forth between a blade and a mallet for the past 2 years. Currently, I am settled on the mallet. For me, its mostly because I need help with alignment, and the mallets provide it. I also have less of an arc to my stroke.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

I have an old Carbite that I love. Here's a pic (best pic I could find) - would this be considered a blade, mallet or something in between? This thing has absolutely no feel unless you hit it dead center with an ever so slight forward press.

I currently have a mallet that I have used for the past few years. I used to always leave putts short and the weight of the mallet helped. I find now, though, that I have better feel with a blade (I tend to go long with the mallet). I am currently in teh market for a new blade putter.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

Not to change the subject but what about the differance between center balanced putters vs toe weighted putters? Are most blades more toe weighted vs center weighted? I was under the impression that a center weighted putter was for a more inline stroke while a toe weighted is more for a arching stroke.

I have been in the market for a new putter as well and have decided that a center weighted putter fells better to me, I think I have a more inline stroke, and most mallets feel better for me than a blade. I did try a Yes Tracey putter that was a blade but it was center weighted vs toe weighted and I really liked the feel of that.

Mark

My pathetic bag that will hopefully be updated by next Spring.
5 Wood: Palm Springs
3-P Irons: Palm Springs
56deg Sand Wedge: Upswing Golf
58/10 Lob Wedge: Nike Victory Red Putter: Odyssey two ball putter srt Ball: Top Flight D2 Feel

I saw this Ping belly putter the other day that was big as a dinner plate.

Have you seen the one that looks exactly like the Starship Enterprise??? LOL

Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!