IGNORED

Changing Ball Types During a Round

Note: This thread is 5450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone other there regularly "change ball types" during a round. Barring a 'condition of competition' limitation (as far as I know) you can legally change ball types at the beginning of any hole.

My index is a reasonably accurate statement of my abilities (not bad - but not all that good either). I can play kind of spinny wedge shots to the green with some success. I can also play bump and run golf from inside 40 yards, also with 'some success'.

But I'm not all that good with either approach to the game. So lately I have been playing a Topflight Gamer ball on most holes (an affordable, but reasonably spinnable ball), and switching to a Topflight Freak on reachable (for me) par 5's. Of course when I "don't reach" on those par 5's I am mostly limiting myself to bump/run shots around the green. But my 'spinny wedge game' is not so good as I feel like this is a huge sacrifice.

Does anyone else do this? I do believe that this is perfectly legal within the Rules of Golf.

BT

p.s. For me where a good drive is around 250 yards, the Freak ball gives me another 10-15 yards. I have not done any experiements, etc. This is just a general impression.

Scoring really comes from around the green, not an extra 10 yards off the tee. You should use whatever gives you the best scoring ability, in my opinion. And again, I think that's from inside 120 yards.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

Most of the time I will not do this simply because the feel of different types/models of balls vary so much I think it makes putting and chipping a little less consistent. Occasionally I will alter ball type based on the hole or weather conditions, but still try to keep the same general ball design (I wouldn't go from a cheap 2 piece to a Pro-V1 or something, but might switch between a Pro-V1 and Pro-V1x for windy or very dry days when I might want a lower trajectory into wind or want a ball to run more on long holes).
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

It's perfectly legal, as long as the "one ball" condition isn't imposed. What this means is that you may change your ball at the start of any new hole, subject to notifying your playing partners (and thus your marker). You must, however, play only one ball on any individual hole .

Where the "one ball" stipulation is in effect (this can be imposed by any competition committee, and is always imposed on the pro-tour), you must play the entire competition with the make and type of ball that you tee up on the first hole.

I've done this. Not regularly, but I have. We have one particular hole where it can be hard to keep the ball on the green. If you're playing any sort of distance ball you improve your chances massively with a soft ball. It's only 110-140 yards, depending on the tee position, so if I'm playing with anything else, the z-balata's normally come out at that point.

In the bag:

Driver: 975D 10.5° True Temper EI-70 Stiff (Alternate 8.5° Titleist Stiff Graphite Shaft)
Fairway Woods: 975F (2 From) 14.5°, 18.5° True Temper EI-70 Stiff, 20.5° Titleist Stiff Graphite Shaft
3Iron-PW: S58 Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsGap Wedge: Tour-W 54/10 Nickel...

Sorry, but not on a bet.

Consistency is just too important to my game........especially consistency in how the ball reacts off of the clubface, whether that clubface is the driver, a wedge, or the putter. My own imperfect ball striking does enough to challenge that consistency, without my intentionally throwing another variable in there every now and then!

I would no more change balls for different hole lengths than would I carry two vastly different putters, one for uphill putts and one for downhill.......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I generally use range balls on holes where it's highly likely I'm going to hit into water. Other than that, I might switch between a couple to compare how they feel and so forth.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

Scoring really comes from around the green, not an extra 10 yards off the tee. You should use whatever gives you the best scoring ability, in my opinion. And again, I think that's from inside 120 yards.

Agreed.

About the only time I will ever change a ball type is in a scramble event. I'll use a distance rock on the drives and go back to a ProV1 for all the approaches. Other than that, I don't switch out balls. I think doing so would just add another layer of doubt to an already confusing game. Scrambles, charities and driving ranges allow me to use up all those "gift" balls from well meaning non golfers.

I dont change the ball type out too often, except during the winter. Ill use whatever ball i find on the course in the off-season. But If im low on balls i might use an older one i got laying around in my bag, thats about it.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Does anyone other there regularly "change ball types" during a round. Barring a 'condition of competition' limitation (as far as I know) you can legally change ball types at the beginning of any hole.

Nope. Lately I've been playing ProV1x exclusively, although I have about a half dozen Nike One Platinums that I'll use up at some point this summer. I don't change balls for specific holes or for conditions. That just lends to inconsistency in my game, and I have enough of that already.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I am finally in a pretty good groove with my game so I will typically play the same ball throughout the round to maintain the consistency. Sometimes if I find something I want to experiment with, I will use it for a few holes.

If I am playing in a scramble event where you can pick up your ball between shots, and nothing really matters, then I might use a bunch of different balls depending on the shots I want to hit.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Interesting comments. Thank you.

FWIW, I changed (mostly) to the TF Gamer because it in my judgment encouraged me to develop a better short game (you can bump/run a Gamer, but stopping a TF Freak is much tougher). And a 175 yard approach vs. 160-165 is not a ton of difference.

But on par 5's that are marginally reachable there is a big difference in my mind between being near the fringe or on the green vs. 20-30 yards off the green. I'm assuming here that I net maybe 25 more yards in 2 shots with the Freak vs. a Gamer.

I'm simply too cheap to start paying big bucks for a Pro V1, or ....

BT

I generally use range balls on holes where it's highly likely I'm going to hit into water. Other than that, I might switch between a couple to compare how they feel and so forth.

Same here

In my Staff bag:
Bazooka HP-5 Driver 460cc
Bazooka OS HP-5 3/5 Woods
Jmax QL Irons 5-PW (Graphite Stiff Shafts)
X-tour Gap Wedge 52* X-tour Sand Wedge 56* Lob Wedge 60* Rossa Daytona 1 Putter

I will pretty much stick with the prov1s throughout my round.

The only exception would be if I needed a decent carry over water with a strong wind coming at me. Then I will find a rock to hit just to give myself a bit more confidence on that hole.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

^^ i find doing the opposite helps i hate taking out a shit ball cause ob is close ruins my confidence huge i use a good ball on hazardous holes to

there goes four bucks dammit

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

Note: This thread is 5450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!