IGNORED

Best Dunker

wrx_junki
Note: This thread is 5453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Best dunker in history!?

• Vince Carter
    • Michael Jordan
    • Dominique Wilkins
    • Lebron James
    • Dwight Howard???
    • Other

Just seeing who your favorite dunkers are. Mine is Vince Carter. I don't think anyone will ever be better than him. He was so smooth like Jordan and had the power of Wilkins.

« Keith »

I'd say LeBron. Some of his dunks are flat out crazy.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Obviously, most here did not see Wilt Chamberlain play. He actually forced a rule change. Used to be you could cross the free throw line as long as the ball went in the basket before you put a foot down across the line. Wilt Chamberlain dunked his free throws. Had to change the rule. He is also the only person to score three digits (100) in a game. If they would have allowed the charging and pushing offensive moves routinely seen today, Chamberlain would have been even more dominant. There are some great athletes today, but I am not sure (in his prime) any would equal Chamberlain. He could easily have been an olympic decathlete, and I always wondered if he would not have been the best tight end in NFL history. He was an aircraft carrier. I am not a Chamberlain fan, but he was a unique athlete. I read once he could touch the top of the backboard, or set a basketball on it (jumping of course.)

RC

Had to go with dunker in game situations (not in contests). Went with Dominique, due to combination of grace, power, height. Would have voted for Lebron, but I see him traveling too much prior to dunks. He gets away with traveling all the time (more than Jordan did)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

All time: Gotta say Jordan.
Now: LeBron James for sure.
In a contest: Nate Robinson dunking of Dwight Howard.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

Obviously, most here did not see Wilt Chamberlain play. He actually forced a rule change. Used to be you could cross the free throw line as long as the ball went in the basket before you put a foot down across the line. Wilt Chamberlain dunked his free throws. Had to change the rule. He is also the only person to score three digits (100) in a game. If they would have allowed the charging and pushing offensive moves routinely seen today, Chamberlain would have been even more dominant. There are some great athletes today, but I am not sure (in his prime) any would equal Chamberlain. He could easily have been an olympic decathlete, and I always wondered if he would not have been the best tight end in NFL history. He was an aircraft carrier. I am not a Chamberlain fan, but he was a unique athlete. I read once he could touch the top of the backboard, or set a basketball on it (jumping of course.)

I just don't see enough style and grace in big men dunks to ever have liked them. Although, Shaq in his prime was something to watch. Just the sheer force of him dunking put him in a level of its own.

I am not too big on Lebron but that guy has the potential to be one of the best tightends in the NFL.

« Keith »

[QUOTE=wrx_junki;309371]I just don't see enough style and grace in big men dunks to ever have liked them. Although, Shaq in his prime was something to watch. Just the sheer force of him dunking put him in a level of its own.

I am not too big on Lebron but that guy has the potential to be one of the best tightends in the NFL.[/ QUOTE]

Read something on ESPN about this. I can't remember what position he played in high school but he was great then too. Seeing how he never played college basketball and went straight to the NBA, I personally think he needs to stick to basketball and keep what hes got going.
I am not saying I would love to see him play in the NFL, I just think NBA would be best for him.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

Chamberlain was actually quite graceful, and not just a big man -- but he was huge. At 7'1" and 275 pounds, he was very muscular. Reaching up, he came within 6 inches of the rim. In track, Chamberlain ran the 100-yard dash in 10.9 seconds, threw the shotput 56 feet, triple jumped more than 50 feet, and won the high jump in the Big Eight track and field championships three straight years. His 440 and 880 times were 48-49 seconds and 1:58 respectively. I think in an SI article it was mentioned his worst event was a 14' 6" pole vault. I really don't remember all the details -- it was long ago, and I don't have the magazine any more. However, as an all round athlete, I can think of no one who compared. As a pro in the NBA, it was touted he could beat any of his team mates in what would now be 3 point shooting. He was the best "Horse" shooter on the Lakers, according to Gail Goodrich, an NBA guard. He had very nice touch and shot a high percentage of free throws. Shaq was amazing, but Chamberlain was a more complete athlete. After basketball, he played volleyball and was voted into their hall of fame.

I agree Lebron would be a great tight end, but I cannot imagine covering Chamberlain as a tight end -- just toss it up around 13 feet and no one else could come close.

RC

Vince Carter in competition was something else. Better than Jordan by far. Better than anyone I've ever seen. However, he really never impressed me often with his ingame dunks. The clips I've seen of Dominique Wilkins' ingame dunks are just ridiculous when compared to other guys. So, for me, I'll say Vince Carter in competition, but Wilkins ingame.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Vince Carter...the guy was flat out amazing. Every single game he would do something jaw dropping...I remember just watching Toronto games to see him Dunk.

Once Lebron does the dunk contest next year and wins it.. I will say him..

Right now, its probably still Lebron just because hes 6'8 260 and can run a 4.4, can you say God given?

The man still needs to get a ring tho.. lets see how he does if and when Shaq heads to Cleveland..

I've gotta have some respect for the little guys like Nate Robinson and Spud Webb. They are awesome.

+1 on Spud Webb and Krypto-Nate (Dee Brown's no look dunk was cool too).

Vince Carter was sick too though (remember the 360 windmill with the pose to boot?) - very tough call.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Note: This thread is 5453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!