IGNORED

swing plane problem

Note: This thread is 6508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From what I understand you should be able to complete your backswing with a wall at your back.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

Read the Plane Truth For Golfers. There are two fundemental extremes in swing plane theory: single or flat plane ala Hogan and two plane or steep ala Tom Watson. Work accordingly.

http://www.writestuffautographs.com/...ts/golf129.jpg
http://www.brothersjudd.com/reviews/images/hogan.jpg

In the bag:

Orlimar HipSteel 8.5 Driver
Orlimar Tri Metal 3 Wood 15*
Titliest 775 CB Irons Ping Anser 2

be carefull though - I went into my deepest slump after reading/watching that whole debate about single or two-plane swing that TGC was running late last year...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with Rafcin here. The swing plane is DAMN hard to change. I have been working on getting mine in a more upright position and I had to basically ask my instructor to go through the process. He was hesitant because he knew how much work it would be.

It's been 2 months and things are under control now, but for awhile it was a mess while I was changing the plane.

All that being said, my swing is more consistent and misses are tighter so it's been worth it for me to change.

For me, I had a flat plane around my body this is how it was changed:

As the club gets to hip high start pointing the club toward the target. This will feel insanely different for you but when you get to the top of your swing/shoulder turn you should be on plane and the club head pointing at the target. When you swing is flat you can also get to that position at the top but its the routing of the club on the way back that is different. When my arm matches my shoulder plane at the backswing position I feel stuck and that its too low. My good position is actually between Watson's and Hogans. I would still classify my swing in the one plane category but its not flat anymore.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

Yeah. I experienced the same thing when I read and attempted to apply Hogan's principals from The Five Fundamentals. The Plane Truth opened my eyes to a controversy that shouldn't really be. I am a 2 planer and I alway have been and there is no good reason to try and go through a Tiger-like swing reformation.

To that end the book, or if not the book itself, just the awareness of the concept should help out. If you're "not upright enough" maybe you are upright enough and its the case that you more naturally have a one-plane swing. You shouldn't feel like that's a sin or something because you read about a different set of principals that have you all screwed up.

In the bag:

Well said A.J.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

The more I see on this the more I am convinced it really is more about body type, and how you best generate power, Arc, Levereage, or rotation. I think that Arc players are your true two planers, Davis Love, rotation players are true single planers, Peter Jacobsen many of us are somewhat in between, leverage players. Tiger? Does anyone else see this either or as a little extreme? Certainly when you have problems understanding the different philosophies can help you put it in context, but with so many swings that work so well that are non standard I am skeptical.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

The more I see on this the more I am convinced it really is more about body type, and how you best generate power, Arc, Levereage, or rotation. I think that Arc players are your true two planers, Davis Love, rotation players are true single planers, Peter Jacobsen many of us are somewhat in between, leverage players. Tiger? Does anyone else see this either or as a little extreme? Certainly when you have problems understanding the different philosophies can help you put it in context, but with so many swings that work so well that are non standard I am skeptical.

I'm not quite sure what you are skeptical of. If you want to boil it down to the brass tacks the only relevant part of the entire swing is what goes on in the hitting zone. Look at Furyk, look at Trevino, look at Chi Chi, look at Bobby Jones and on and on.

And not relatedly, I'm trying to sit through commercial law class with the chick next to me chewing gum like a horse. She smells like she douched her entire body with some rancid cheap perfume to boot. Good gravey.

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 6508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!