IGNORED

Decision: Rounds of Golf v. Lessons/Driving Range Practice

Note: This thread is 5561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lessons and driving range is far better for improving your game as a beginner IMO. When I first started three years ago, all I did was play. Over the past two years, Maybe once in a while I'd go to the range. I was DECENT at ballstriking, good at chipping/putting so I could SCORE, but my ballstriking was never as good as it should have been...

This year I've changed my routine. I go everyday to the range and play 1-2 times per week. Get a lesson every two weeks (have had four so far) and although it still has yet to benefit my actual score, my ballstriking is getting to the point where I can strike it as well as a 5 handicap, I just simply can't get the ball in the hole...soon, once the putts start dropping (shot 83 yesterady with five three putts and two birdie putts missed with in five feet) I will get down to a 7 or 8 handicap...I'm very close, but I'm improving faster by playing a round 1-2 times per week and working on my game 2-3 hours a day at the range + a lesson every two weeks.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

be patience and practice pitching around the practice area for free. if you work on the basics:

you can even practice easy full swings with your wedge that only travel 20-30 yards.

watch instructional video and do what you can without lesson at first, hook up with the best golfer you know that is willing to give you some tips

play 9 holes and practice more than you play.

The pitch shot is a mini version of the full swing and the impact zone is identical to the full swing.

you can practice pitching with only 30 - 50 yards on a grassy field that is appropriate for hitting golf balls.

To get better you need to practice more than you play at first. work on fundamentals and get a good foundation to work from.

be patience, golf takes time and perserverance.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 5561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!