IGNORED

Golfing with a 3 year old!

nelson84
Note: This thread is 2113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

why not just leave the kids at home in bed all day with helmets on? More kids die in car wrecks than on golf courses. Are you not going to drive your kids anywhere?

just a reason not to go when its busy really

groups on every hole etc...

My friend takes his 5yo out all the time, the kid has his own clubs and only takes tee shots and putts on the course. He's a cool kid, and he's super interested in learning to play golf. Its cool to watch him with his callway golf clubs.

We've often let him play complete par 3 holes from the kids tees when the course is really quiet (mondays usually), I think his best is about a 13, but he loves doing it. We've taught him how to grip the club, but his swing is less than perfect! Its funny to give him a driver to hit and watch him go. Next month he starts a childrens golf school, should be cool to see his progress.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I do it all the time. It's great for practice. Go out on the 3rd nine and work on shots while he has some fun too! It's also a great excuse to go practice. "Hey honey, I'm gonna go out to the course for a couple hours, you mind if I take the boy?"
I am always VERY aware of our surroundings and make sure not to hold anyone up.

I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

I took my son last year when he was three while we were on vacation and severarl times now that he is 4. I take him on weekdays and as long as no one is behind us, I let him hit when I hit. So he tees off, plays a second shot with me etc. He loves it, and its one of the best things we do together. Beware - he now considers the range as an inferior golf experience. LOL

/J6

i15 w/Diamana Blue 9.5
G10 w/Prolaunch Red 17
Raylor 19* 909h 21 MB 4-PW Vokey Spin Milled 54* and 60* Circa 62 No 7

That'd what twilight is made for. I took my young boys out on the "real course" at late twilight many times they loved it. If someone comes up behind you let them through, everyone that ever passed me looked Jealous that I was out with my boys and had no problem with us playing.

I have been doing the same thing with my 6 year old daughter. We will go mid week and try to get the last tee time for the day. That way we can take our time and don't have to worry about groups behind us. We run out of daylight some times but she thinks it is really cool to play in the dark. I am suprised at who much those yellow Spongebob golf balls glow in the dark :).

Mark

My pathetic bag that will hopefully be updated by next Spring.
5 Wood: Palm Springs
3-P Irons: Palm Springs
56deg Sand Wedge: Upswing Golf
58/10 Lob Wedge: Nike Victory Red Putter: Odyssey two ball putter srt Ball: Top Flight D2 Feel

Is it allowed to go golfing with just my 3 year old on a golf course with no one else in my group? The boy just wants to cruise around in the cart and do a little putting? Or do golf courses frown upon this? Am I taking up a tee time for other golfers? Will they make me pay a penalty?

I don't mind kids on the course IF the kids are old enough to walk the course carrying their own bags.

I have a 3 year old who absolutely LOVES golf and I take him to the range and chipping green a few times a month. We keep it simple and short, leaving before he gets tired or bored. I've only played on the course with him once and I was sure to ask for the last tee-time of the day so as not to interfere with anyone else's round. We had a blast and I let him tee off and putt for each hole. Personally, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with children on the course as long as they don't get in anyone's way and as long as they are respectful to the course.

I agree that 3 is too young. A three old shouldn't be on the course but the range is a good spot. I have a three year old and I've taken him to the range before. It will be a couple of years before we hit the real course.

• 9 years later...
On 6/24/2009 at 12:03 PM, TheNatural said:

I have 3 kids and wouldnt chance it until they are 5 at the least, and I advise playing a course at off times. Im sure most here would let groups through, but thats not the issue. If a well hit ball can kill an adult on impact of the skull, why would anyone bring children to a course that is crowded?

When I bring the kids, I watch every hole within reach of me to be sure the yahoo's arent hitting errant balls, and god help the SOB that drives into my group on the same hole.

That’s like saying why would we ever take our child out of the house because he could die. Do we not drive our children daily. I’d be more concerned about the ride to the course. 

Two things: 

1) While the stats surely bear out that we are all in far more danger riding in a car each time we do it than we are playing golf, it’s a bit of a straw man argument. We ride in cars MANY more times than we are on golf courses. While freak accidents and drunk or reckless drivers do exist, we have control of what our car does while driving. And there is an entire industry with government regulations governing vehicle safety. No control or safety measures on the course and no prediction at all of a wild golf shot. 

In both cases however, the odds of serious injury in a given instance are pretty darn low, to the level that either should not be actively ‘worried about’. 

2) Holy thread revival! The kids mentioned in this specific thread are all now in high school, or grown adults by now!

Edited by sofingaw

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!