IGNORED

Pace of Play

umpiremark
Note: This thread is 5410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Speaking about taking putts, I once got paired up with two other really good players, one guy who tried to make the tour but failed, who was still, or so he claimed a +3.5 handicap and the other guy who said he was a 6 handicap.

They took EVERY putt. I realize it wasn't too serious of a round at their local muni course that they play 3 times per week but come on.

The 6 handicapper especially, he'd have a five foot putt after he left his lag putt short, and he'd be like "Let me just clean this one up for you guys." And he would just 'swat at it' towards the hole, and of course miss because he just walked up to it and hit it with one arm in frustration...then his friend would be like "Haha, don't worry Bill that one was obviously good!"...

He did this for at least five putts during the 18. The other guy did it on occassion too. I was shocked, seriously.

Which is one reason I never take anyone's handicap's too seriously when they say what they are. Some want them to be high (so they can get strokes) and some want to be low (so they can brag and look good). Most are legit, and I'm sure on a site like this where everyone is serious about the game. But I've met many, many people who lie about their handicap for sure.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking about taking putts, I once got paired up with two other really good players, one guy who tried to make the tour but failed, who was still, or so he claimed a +3.5 handicap and the other guy who said he was a 6 handicap.

I think I played with these guys. Not really but similar story. They were talking about playing in the met and so they should be good, but they didn't play like it meant anything. They didn't finish holes and putt out.

Do other players do this in a casual round? I don't, I like to make real scores so my HCI is accurate and so I have that mental image of making a tough 3 footer for when it does mean something. I like the pressure of the 3 foot putt.

Brian

If I had to play 4.5-5 hour rounds of golf I'd quit. 4:15 is about the max.

You wouldn't quit if that's all there was out there. Slow play seems to be the pandemic of golf courses around here (thus the article in the Milwaukee paper). In the Madison area where I live, there are a handful of "posh" Country Clubs that cost you your first mortagage and first born to join, and a number of city, county or local muni-courses where all the hold-ups occur.

I don't want to give the impression that 4.5 hours is an ALL THE TIME pace, but it happens more to our Saturday group then the odd 3.5 hour round. As an aside, we rarely go off in our foursome AFTER 8:00 a.m. so you'd think we'd have quicker rounds. But that's not the case.
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

I guess I'll qualify the 4.5 hour rounds, cause it seems that number is getting hammered here since I posted. Those of you playing under 3 hours - I'm guessing - have the course to yourselves, perhaps.

Bingo! The bolded part is what I feel is the problem. Not putting. People misue carts big time. They refuse to get out and walk 20 yards to their ball. Also, getting off the tee box is a huge problem in my mind. If the fairway is open someone needs to hit ASAP. Not shoot the shit for a few minutes and then finalyl mosey up to the tee box and then discuss who has honors.

I'm not saying I've never played 5 hour rounds, of course I have! But I just try to avoid those courses with that kind of pace of play. We've got a good Sunday morning thing going at a public course. We are usually the 4th or 5th group off in the morning, everyone knows each other who tees off around that time and are not afraid to tell others to move their ass. LOL. It's great. We play usually no more than 4:15. I also play with the official "pace of play nazi." This guy keeps an eye on everyone, yells at them all the time and has the pro shop on speed dial.

You wouldn't quit if that's all there was out there. Slow play seems to be the pandemic of golf courses around here (thus the article in the Milwaukee paper). In the Madison area where I live, there are a handful of "posh" Country Clubs that cost you your first mortagage and first born to join, and a number of city, county or local muni-courses where all the hold-ups occur.

Okay, well I wouldn't quit, even if it was a 6 hour round.

I'm not a member of a club either and play most of my golf at public course, I guess I've just been lucky with the pace of play at the public course I play at mostly. It's surprising that an 8am tee time doesn't play faster. Are there a few regular offenders that cause the slow-down or is it just a combination of a lot of things/people? We tee off usually between 7:30-7:45, right in that area, and it's pretty quick. As I mentioned in my other post, everyone knows each other, but they are not afraid to complain about each other. Habitually slow players/groups do not get the early tee times. I'm guessing that's not the norm but maybe it should be.

There has been a huge drive to speed up the play of golf over the years.
This is purely greed driven by the course owners to get more and more folks on the course.
I've seen tee times just three minutes apart all day long....on a public course!

Once upon a time golf was a leisure sport where men could get out and enjoy a game and the company of some friends.
Today it's becoming just another money making rat race.

If you only have three hours to play, then you just don't have enough free time to play 18 holes.

my uncle and I (and 2 others) played behind possibly the slowest golfers on the planet today. waited on every tee box, and in most fairways- sometimes several minutes each. they finished a couple holes behind the pace they were supposed to keep, never seemed like a there was a fire lit under them and didn't appear to care or even notice how they were holding the whole course up. i have never played behind such slow people.

incidentally, the 2 guys we were playing with were pretty slow too and i thought we were holding up the guys behind us for the first couple holes but even with this slow play we wound up waiting everywhere.

ahh i don't like slow players, especially slow uncaring players.

my uncle and I (and 2 others) played behind possibly the slowest golfers on the planet today. waited on every tee box, and in most fairways- sometimes several minutes each.

How long were you on the course?

Had a 4 hour and 45 minute round. I went out with my friend a 6 handicapper, and I am a 10.3. We shot 80 and 83 respectively, which, it could have been a lot better but just one birdie between us (many chances too) and we didn't roll in anything outside of 7 feet.

But, unluckily, we got paired with two true hackers, both shot in the 100's for sure, losing at least a ball a hole, and hunting for it in the fescue. One of the guys played at a fine pace - which is ALL I ask for at someone of his skill level. The other guy played entirely too slow for someone who shoots in the 100's...

All I ask for when you play with me is to move at a decent pace. We never had to wait all day, despite having two foresomes in front of us. Although we never really trailed them by much.

I somewhat think it was a blessing in disguise because it slowed us down a bit, made me take my time, and enjoy the round. My friend and I probably would've made it around in 3 hrs 45 mins without them, assuming we would've been able to play through at least one of the foresomes in front of us...but, then again, we may have had to wait 3-5 mins on every shot...so, like I said, maybe a blessing in disguise? haha. The twosome we were paired with were friendly though, which was great, but it wasn't the ideal time to go around in 18.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

With my usual groups we easily play 18 holes in around 4 hours if we aren't waiting on players in front of us. One of my regular groups is mostly at or better than my 11.1 handicap, and the other group is significantly worse (one is a 16, one is a 25 and one is 30+), yet we play 18 holes on a 6500 yard (middle tees), par 72, 120 slope course (extremely busy public course) in 4 hours. I've even played the course in a fivesome in 3:55.

We play strictly by the rules, we don't concede 4 foot putts, we play provisional balls when indicated. If you play 4.5 to 5 hour rounds on a regular basis, then you are playing too slow. The only time I've ever played in more than 4:15 is when I'm being held up by slow players in front of me. Being a busy public course this is not an unusual situation, but even then if the round goes to 4:30, it is terribly long.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How long were you on the course?

well over 5 hours, probably close to 5 1/2 hours.

we usually play in under 4 1/2 with no obstructions.

4.5-5hrs is way too long - but i guess you have to take heat and humidity into account in the US, this time of year.

If our 3-ball rounds go over 4 hours then the Committee has a quiet word - and that includes regular Saturday competitions and Monthly Medals.

The Course Marshall should be making sure people keep up the pace of play or let following groups through.

• Administrator
Zzzzzzzzzzz. Took two hours to play the front nine today as a twosome with nobody in front of us. The wife... not so speedy. Nobody was pushing us (we were nearly three holes ahead of the foursome behind us after five holes), so I didn't mind. I'm also not allowed to comment about anything when she's golfing because she gets mad/frustrated... but I'd love to tell her at some point that her pre-shot routine is REALLY way too long and is probably hurting her more than it helps.

Played the back nine (with wife riding in the cart - 9 holes is currently her limit) in 45 minutes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Zzzzzzzzzzz. Took two hours to play the front nine today as a twosome with nobody in front of us. The wife... not so speedy. Nobody was pushing us (we were nearly three holes ahead of the foursome behind us after five holes), so I didn't mind. I'm also not allowed to comment about anything when she's golfing because she gets mad/frustrated... but I'd love to tell her at some point that her pre-shot routine is REALLY way too long and is probably hurting her more than it helps.

HAHA.. I can only laugh because playing with the wife is the same for me. I'm not allowed to say

anything . She just wants to swing and hit it and doesn't care otherwise. She's slow also but will quit if things aren't going well and just ride in the cart. The only thing I've ever told her when she gets up to the tee is "Knock the shit out of hte ball". She gets a kick out of that

Zzzzzzzzzzz. Took two hours to play the front nine today as a twosome with nobody in front of us. The wife... not so speedy. Nobody was pushing us (we were nearly three holes ahead of the foursome behind us after five holes), so I didn't mind. I'm also not allowed to comment about anything when she's golfing

Imagine that.

I'm glad my wife doesn't play. Ohhh the humanity.

- Shane

18 in 4 hours just about all the time here. the worst is 4:15 if I have to wait. Played 18 in 2:45minutes the other day as twosome - no waiting.
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

My 77 year old Dad and I played in 4 hours this weekend. Mind you he has a bad knee and doesn't get around like he use to, but we play ready golf and give putts (if they are less then 4 inches), otherwise putt them out. He is not a long hitter so on most holes he can hit off the tee while the group ahead is still in the fairway.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Note: This thread is 5410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!