IGNORED

How much do you spend on lessons

sioutdoors
Note: This thread is 6462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have never had a lesson ( like my handicap don't show that) and i was just wondering how much money do you spend on lessons each year if any at all. Do you take them throughout the year or just at the beginning of every season. Would one lesson do any good or should I take them all year, say once every month skip a round and get lessons. Or play four rounds get a lesson before the next four. Seeing how they cost about the same.

Driver-Wilson Deep Red II .428 shaft (stiff)
3 Wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
5 wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
3 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(17*)
4 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(21*)5-PW-Wilson fat shaft52-56-68 Degree wedges- Wilson HarmonizedPutter- Top Flite Mallet

Our local pro teaches lessons in his store... 5 lessons for $150. I think its a pretty good deal, especially since he'll grandfather your rate in if he ever decides to increase his fee (which he's done twice since I've been going to him).
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

after the practice session I had today i would sacrifice a pinky toe to hit the ball good again. Out of three buckets i might have hit one or two good shots the rest wer about 60 percent toped 10 percent fat 30 percent toed and almost everyone of em was a hook or a slice 60 slice 40 hook. I think the playing lesson would help better because i never hit the ball well on the range but this practice was absolutely the worse. I think I did more harm to myself than good. After frustration sets in I'll try anything. I need professional help, maybe even the mental kind.

4 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(21*)5-PW-Wilson fat shaft52-56-68 Degree wedges- Wilson HarmonizedPutter- Top Flite Mallet

i dont take lessons

In The Bag:
Driver: 9 degree King Cobra 440 SZ (ETP Penley S Flex)
3 Wood: Taylormade 540 XD (M.A.S R5 Series S Flex)
5 Wood: Mizuno MP .001 (Exsar 60 S Flex)
Irons: Mizuno MP-60 (Dynamic Gold) Gap Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM Oilcan (Dynamic Gold) Sand Wedge: Cleveland Tour Action (Dynam. G) Putter:...

I haven't paid for any lessons yet, I may or may not in the future, however so far I am improving nicely without them :). There is a lot of stuff online that is free that one can learn and improve with given the knowhow to look for it (and I am talking legal stuff hehe).

Follow along my trials and tribulations as a hoser learning the game of golf.

http://golfinghoser.blogspot.com/

Went out to the range again today and a good nights sleep didn't help anything. Went out and put 2 tees in the ground to make a gate and put the ball in the middle. Not once did i hit the outside tee almost every time hit the inside tee all with irons. One of these days I'm just gonna take my own advice and get some help. I don't fell like my swing is that much different from when I'm hitting good shots or hitting bad shots. I did find out the with a little more wrist cock i could help control the slice. I'm also trying a super looses grip. I was playing very tight grip and that worked great and now has failed me. Went out with only two things in mind ball position and wide back swing. Kept the ball in the same spot and kept that triangle in my back swing. It seamed to help when I didn't top it. I so frustrated I think I'm doing more harm than good.

Think the going rate around here is around $50 or so for peeps that know what they are really doing...

Driver: Dual Point 9*
Woods: Dual Point 3-wood, T-40 5-wood
Irons: r7 TP's
Wedges: RAC TP Black 52/56/60
Putter: White Steel

Dude, go get lessons. It makes a huge difference. I prefer the instructor to be able to show you on tape what you're doing. Sometimes when they tell you but can't show you it's hard to really believe them.

Also don't just nod your head and say "Yes sir" when he tells you a concept. Trust what he has to say but ask questions too.

My experience tells me that when you are at the lesson things will get working better than expected, then when you are on your own things will deteriorate. Remember that it's a process and even if you start hitting the ball great after one lesson, you'll regress at some point and have to go back a few times at least.

The other thing is I really get a kick out of people who don't go for lessons. They will go to the course, pay $50 to play, hack around for 4 hours and leave frustrated. Set aside a month dedicated to practice. Go to a course that has a full practice facilty, practice chip shots, short shots, drivers, long irons, putting. Make sure you understand what the teacher is trying accomplish with your swing. It will go bad again and it's important you know how to get it back without the instructor standing over you and the ball.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

I got a friend coming up for a visit this weekend and I hope i dont play the same if i do it will be the last "fun" round this year. Its time to get to work I've shot consitenly in the 90 all year and last year. I'm getting nowhere

OK went out today to the range With a video camera today and man was I blown away at the things i seen. I only video from the back (my right side) down the target line. And seen that the club face was wide open at the top ( parallel to the horizon) and also was taking the club away way to much to the inside. I thought i was staying to far to the outside. Next time I will video facing me and see what else i can see

• 1 month later...
Last night was the third and final group lesson in Golf 101. This was not that useful -- too much info, and too general, coming out of a fire hose, not enough time to "get it" and practice it. After the lesson, was told I could stay in the area and hit balls. Then, the other pro showed up and gave a half hour lesson to two guys who were brand new. I listened to every word and tried to do what he said. He taught classic Hogan. He was technical, crisp, precise, and gave specific information and feedback and drills. After the half-hour lesson, the pro took off and the two students stayed and kept hitting, and whooping and wowing and saying "Can't believe how much time I wasted before this."

I went straight from the range to the desk and scheduled my first lesson with this guy for next week.

I have a young pro that I usually go to and he charges $40 (NZ) a time.

I have just started having short 10 minutes lessons twice a week with a guy called Davyn Nola - he came 5th in the World Long Drive a few years ago, and he is really good.

Normally I use magazines and things like that but my head gets too cluttered, for me a couple of small things really work well, and when I'm hitting bad it's almost always to do with my take away - fix that, and I hit it real good.
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

None at all. My son plays with me and coaches me more than I need. Well, maybe not more than I need but he stays on me about my swing. He is an ex pro (doesn't have his card anymore) but he stills knows what he is talking about!

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

I get lessons once a week for an hour for $40. He's a family friend, and I've been getting lessons from him for about 3 years.

I don't see why someone wouldn't want to get lessons. They are so helpful if you understand what your pro is trying to do. My advice is to watch several lessons from several pros in your area just to see how they teach, and then pick one and stay with that pro!

Nothing is more frustrating than having about 5 millon ideas and trying to make them all at once.

I get lessons once a week for an hour for $40. He's a family friend, and I've been getting lessons from him for about 3 years.

The place to work on all those swing thoughts is on the driving range. Try to reduce your swing thoughts on the course to one.

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

I have never had a lesson ( like my handicap don't show that) and i was just wondering how much money do you spend on lessons each year if any at all. Do you take them throughout the year or just at the beginning of every season. Would one lesson do any good or should I take them all year, say once every month skip a round and get lessons. Or play four rounds get a lesson before the next four. Seeing how they cost about the same.

when i first started as a kid, i went to group lessons; i dont remember how much my parents paid.

then as i got a little better, i started private lessons with the same coach(es) (he had assistants to help with stuff). i think he charged $25 for 30 minutes or something like that. eventually as we became friends and whatnot he just stopped charging me altogether. now if in run into him at the range he'll just take a look at my swing on his camera and help me tweak a little. its sad that he just got a launch monitor.. the day i leave for college :( haha. he says he charges much more now, the equipment he had when i was paying for lessons was pretty basic. just a camera and a program to analyze golf stuff.

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

I have not taken any lessons in a long time. I grew dissatisfied because I wanted something more back than "I think you should do this, try that." I wanted information which would help me evaluate and understand what I was doing, basically a desription of what I do. What is my swing like. Am I upright, handsy, two plane, one plane, tempo fast, medium, slow? I tried several different pros and no one was willing to have that kind of interactive lesson. I don't trust anyone who can't explain why. Or illustrate what you are doing. Blah, Blah, Blah. Sorry sliding into a rant here.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I have never taken a lesson and there are people who have seen my golf swing that will certainly verify that fact....

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Note: This thread is 6462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!