IGNORED

Walking vs riding

TheNatural
Note: This thread is 5353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Walking VS RIDING

• Walking can add 5+ strokes
    • Walking can add 0-5 strokes
    • NO DIFFERENCE
    • Walking will reduce the number of strokes 0-5
    • Walking will reduce strokes +5
    • Walking only affects those who are common cart riders

I like to walk for a few reasons. 1, because golf is an expensive game and you can save a lot of money by not renting a power cart. 2, because walking is good exercise. I've actually dropped a few pounds and feel much better this season after not renting a cart once. 3, I like the pace of the game when I walk. I feel more focused on what's happening with my game and the shot I want to make.

I also got a 3 wheeled push cart this year as I had always found my back would get fatigued during 18 carrying. This has completely changed my perspective on walking as my cart seems nearly effortless to push.

• 1 month later...
I always find that I play better if I'm walking the course. I always have the full set with me on every shot and I can start focusing on my next shot as I walk towards it. This seem especially helpful for the short game.

The bad thing is, it seems like newer courses are more spread out from the greens to the next tees and walking is discouraged by the clubhouse.

Any thoughts?

Driver= Titleist 909D3 9.5 deg
3 Wood= Titleist 909F3 15 deg
Hybrid= Adams Idea Pro Black 19 deg
Irons 3-P= Titleist 695 CB
Wedges= Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 54/10, 60/4Putter= Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5Ball= Titleist ProV1x, NXT Tour

Most able players (regardless of handicap) would probably see better scores walking. You develop a better rythm through the round, IMO. I understand the bussiness side of golf carts and know they are here to stay, but i am very much agaist them being such a big part of the way the game is played.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

While i agree that you develop a better rythm when walking and warm up quicker, people might just get tired when they get in the later stages of their rounds, when their are not physical fit and play hilly courses.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

I use to play better walking but can't walk a whole round these days so I ride. I'm 45 and mostly play with guys in their 60's and 70's and bad knee's, backs, and such have most of them riding also.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

I love to walk, but it's almost a death sentence here in Fl during the summer. I did it once and was sick for the rest of the day.

I can't wait for it to drop into the low 80s so I can start walking again.

Driver: 909 D3 Diamana Blue
3 wood Ti Bubble 2
Hybrid: Burner Rescue 19 S Fujikura
4-PW: ZB NS Pro 100 S
GW: 51 VokeySW: 55 VokeyLW: 60 BeCuPutter: Red X3 or Del Mar 2 TeI3Ball: TP Red LDP or Pro V1x

I think they have done studies in the past, and it was stated that you will generally shoot a better round in a cart, due to fatigue.

I personally find that while I dont feel tired after walking 18, the quality of my shots isn't the same on the 18th fairway as it is on say the 3rd or 4th (after I am warmed up and playing my best golf)

I always walk 9 holes, but generally ride 18 (if for no other reason then most courses around here encourage carts for 18 holes)

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

If im in the mood to consume adult beverages... I always ride. And when I don't give a snit.. I always ride. When I gamble with the guys... I always ride. When I play mini-tour events... I always walk, because that is what they require... stupid SOB's.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Walking results in lower scores! (for me, anyway)

Walking gets you in a better rhythm, you can plan your shot better as you walk to your ball. If your ball is off the fairway, it's easier to find than if you're in a cart. That's all...case closed!

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Those who mention rhythm are dead on!

The biggest difference I have between walking and riding is if I'm not swinging well that day. If my swing is a little off and I'm walking I have time to regroup and prepare for the next shot. When my swing is a little off and I'm riding in a cart it has produced some real bad rounds. For me, a cart just doesn't give you that few extra moments to process whats going on with your swing. You hit, jump in the cart, drive to your ball and hit again. It can really turn into a "Golfing Nightmare"!

I guess if I exclusively rode in a cart then eventually I would get use to the change in rhythm but I would say my stroke average is a good 4-5 shots lower walking versus riding.

I'll just keep on walking:)

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

with all the rain we've had the past 2 days... its gonna be cartpath only so you might as well walk... plus its getting much cooler... time to break out the pull cart and have a nice stroll
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Golf courses being built today are not designed to be walked. The are built to attract buyers for lots "on a golf course". The walk between greens and tees are sometimes longer than the hole you just played. I played in a U.S. Open qualifier a few years ago and the pace of play was almost 5 hours. I had my caddy time our actual playing time per hole. It only took us 4 hrs to play. The rest of the time was spent walking in between holes.

There are some courses that do not allow walkers. They need the revenue from cart rentals, so everyone must ride. Most people that ride don't save any time. But in our group, riding does save time. If there is no one in front of us, we can play a 5'some in under three hours, but this is not the national average. If we were to walk, it would take us closer to 4.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Note: This thread is 5353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!