IGNORED

Golf Marathon

Ben
Note: This thread is 4250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Went for 54 today.

First 18 was a 4 person Match-Play Better-Ball match against a coworker and his buddy. The guy I normally play against (friendly rival) was my partner. We lost the front, but then went on to win the back and overall. Didn't keep score because it was match play. Had a few birdies, holed about for an eagle from about 45y on a Par 5. But had some ugly holes too. Probably came in around 4 over.

Second round was a straight up stroke play match against my partner from the first round. I won the front, lost the back, but won the overall. We also play for dots. Birdies, sandies and closest to the pins. Ended up shooting 1-under 69.

Round 3. Rematch from the morning. I guess they wanted another crack at us. This time we played Combined-Score Match-play. We won the front, won the back and won the overall. My partner and I were really clicking. I shot 5-under 65. He shot 2-under 68, after being 2-over after the front 9.

Oddly enough I wasn't hitting the ball all that great. I was getting up and down nicely, and I was rolling in a ton of putts. Oh its so fun!

My handicap index is trending way down...

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Congratulations.

I shot 5-under 65

Oddly enough I wasn't hitting the ball all that great. I was getting up and down nicely, and I was rolling in a ton of putts. Oh its so fun!

And that's why you're a +2.5 ; your short game is that good that you can shoot a 65 when you aren't hitting it that great.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And that's why you're a +2.5 ; your short game is that good that you can shoot a 65 when you aren't hitting it that great.

Can't argue with that. Makes golf pretty fun.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Well, that and Ben's definition of "not hitting it that great" is far different than yours or mine! Remember, it's all relative! Sounds like a fun day.......and winning always makes it all that much better!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

So my golf marathon Monday turned into a golf marathon week.

54 holes Monday - home
18 on Tuesday - home
18 on Wednesday - home
18 on Thursday - home
45 on Friday - Coto de Caza

153 holes in 5 days.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

3 weeks ago was probably the most golf ive played in 5 years!

Monday - 18 holes club knockout
Tuesday - 18 holes
Wednesday - 18 holes midweek stableford
Thursday - 18 holes league match
Friday - 9 holes
Saturday - 36 holes county amateur championship
Sunday - 36 holes county amateur championship

Monday was a nice day off haha

TITLEIST 909 D2 10.5* VOODOO STIFF FLEX
TAYLORMADE R9 TP 3 WOOD STIFF FLEX
COBRA BAFFLER PRO 19* STIFF FLEX
TITLEIST 695MB 3-PW STIFF FLEX
TITLEIST VOKEY BLACK NICKEL 52*TITLEIST VOKEY SPIN MILLED 56.10 & 60.04SCOTTY CAMERON 2.6 NEWPORT PUTTERCALLAWAY TOUR IX GOLF BALLTAYLORMADE R7 TP TOUR BAGC...

you think 54 is a lot? try 14 rounds a day for a week....
http://blog.timesunion.com/golf/bucc...n-a-week/1039/

this was at a local club. the guy was raising money for diabetes research and broke the world record for most holes played in a week...playing 1801 holes in one week. thats over 14 rounds a day! he played each round in about an hour. one of my friends was playin the course and this guy played through 3 times!

you think 54 is a lot? try 14 rounds a day for a week....

That's crazy, but, how is his handicap so low? His scoring wasn't very good.

To stay on topic, nice job Ben. It must take an incredible amount of work to get to a +2.5...my friend is +3, and the most birdies he's made in one round was 8, and he was -8 thru 14 once and ended up shoot 70, haha...guess it happens even to the best of 'em.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

• 3 years later...

Another golf marathon went down today. This time it was a fundraiser for The First Tee. I played for 8 hours. Got in 72 hole! Even, -4, +1 and -3 to finish at -6 for the day. Two doubles, five bogeys and fifteen birdies for a total of -6 par. The last round could have been something really special. My putter turned possessed! I birdied one, then went stale, parring until the 7th. Hit from 8' for birdie there, then from 6' on 8 and then 15' up a tier on 9. par, par on 10 and 11. Then dropped a 35'er on 12. I honestly felt like I couldn't miss! -5 at that point, then doubled the ultra easy par -5 13th... lame. And parred out from there.

This is my first time playing 72 in one day.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG031 View Post
None

That's crazy, but, how is his handicap so low? His scoring wasn't very good.

To stay on topic, nice job Ben. It must take an incredible amount of work to get to a +2.5...my friend is +3, and the most birdies he's made in one round was 8, and he was -8 thru 14 once and ended up shoot 70, haha...guess it happens even to the best of 'em.

If he was only taking an hour per 18, my guess is that he was rushing a lot of his shots being more concerned with speed rather than score.  The article didn`t say, but I assume he took a cart, but even with that, he may have been practically running up to some shots.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Used to play a 100 hole marathon for charity every year. Start at sunrise, finish in the dark. Twosomes each guy with a cart. All that matters is speed -- for example I would hit second shots on a par five to the "no carts past here" so that I could drive up to my ball instead of walking to my ball.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by Ben

Another golf marathon went down today. This time it was a fundraiser for The First Tee. I played for 8 hours. Got in 72 hole! Even, -4, +1 and -3 to finish at -6 for the day. Two doubles, five bogeys and fifteen birdies for a total of -6 par. The last round could have been something really special. My putter turned possessed! I birdied one, then went stale, parring until the 7th. Hit from 8' for birdie there, then from 6' on 8 and then 15' up a tier on 9. par, par on 10 and 11. Then dropped a 35'er on 12. I honestly felt like I couldn't miss! -5 at that point, then doubled the ultra easy par -5 13th... lame. And parred out from there.

This is my first time playing 72 in one day.

You have to be dead. I've played 54 holes in a day - walking all 54.  Carrying my own bag... Several times as a teenager.  And that was a lot of golf for me back then.  72 would be tough - even in a golf cart at my age now!

I played 27 holes earlier this summer - with a cart - and felt like I was going to die on the last 9.

Originally Posted by Ben

Went for 54 today.

Very niiiiice.......

I've played 45holes several times, but never 54!!

I should also add......every time I played 45...I did it walking!!!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 4250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!