IGNORED

Should you be allowed to use a GPS during a tournament?

CG031
Note: This thread is 5410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should Golf GPS be able to be used during tournaments?

• Yes, for sure, nothing says no one can't get one.
    • No, some can't afford and it's not fair to those who don't own one.
    • Indifference - guess or get one from your GPS.

I don't buy the 'not fair' or 'pro's don't use them' arguments.

Pros are able to get a yardage book that the course put together. They can then go on the course before the tournament starts and write anything they want in them. I have seen pro's in practice rounds. They spend half the time with a rangefinder and pencil to get a distance to every dogleg, hazard, and tree they can find. Many courses these days don't even offer a yardage book that is any good. Plus the pro's get a pin sheet with the day's hole locations so they know exactly how far they are from the center yardage. I haven't seen many local tournaments do that even. If you make available a good yardage book, time on the course before the tournament, and a pin sheet, I'll leave my rangefinder at home. Unless someone says I can't use it, I will use it when I want to.

If someone can't afford one and someone else can, so what. Should there be standard clubs at every tournament so we can all be using the same dollar amount of clubs too? If one person has $1000 in his bag and another person has $2000 in his bag, is that unfair too?

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do know that the pros get yardage books that has every little detail in it. I wasn't aware they used GPS/rangefinders to get that information. Is that correct?

I agree with goblue that the "not fair" argument isn't solid. Just because you can afford it & I can't doesn't mean they should be banned.

If the pros can use them to make their yardage books, then why aren't they allowed to use them in the actual tournament? That seems like a huge waste of time to write down everything the GPS/rangefinder tells you.

Don't get me wrong ... I think that GPS/Rangefinders are cool & I would love to get one. I just don't think they should be allowed for tournament play since they aren't legal for pro tournament play. We should all follow the same rules whether we shoot 60 or 100.

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

This is my first post on here... this was also the first thread I saw and my opinions on gps is in its favor. First off if the tournament is usga rules they are usga approved, it gives the other golfer an advantage isn't great since you can still get the yardage they are just getting it quicker, and its technolgy which is now a big part of the game its really no different than someone having the newest taylormade driver and hitting it 10 yards past you every hole. Then saying with he has a better driver so he has the advantage.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I do know that the pros get yardage books that has every little detail in it. I wasn't aware they used GPS/rangefinders to get that information. Is that correct?

Yes. I worked as a hole marshal for 4 years at The International and I watched caddies out early in the morning on practice days checking and rechecking distances to or from all of the features that they felt could possibly come into play. They all had laser rangefinders.

I agree with goblue that the "not fair" argument isn't solid. Just because you can afford it & I can't doesn't mean they should be banned.

Correct.

If the pros can use them to make their yardage books, then why aren't they allowed to use them in the actual tournament? That seems like a huge waste of time to write down everything the GPS/rangefinder tells you.

Just a whim. Why does the Tour require players to wear slacks in 95° temperatures and 95% humidity?

Don't get me wrong ... I think that GPS/Rangefinders are cool & I would love to get one. I just don't think they should be allowed for tournament play since they aren't legal for pro tournament play. We should all follow the same rules whether we shoot 60 or 100.

I play in at least a couple of tournaments each month, and ANYTHING that helps to speed up play should be not only allowed, but embraced. There is nothing more frustrating than standing on the tee waiting while the players ahead of you wander around looking for sprinkler heads, then pace off the distance to their balls, then finally pull a club from the bag. By the time he finds a sprinkler, I'd have already shot the target with my rangefinder, played my shot and been moving on.

What some of you don't realize is that distance information has always been considered public knowledge. You could have always done like the pros and walked the course before hand using a laser to make up a yardage book. The only thing is that most of us ordinary Joes don't have the time to take on such a project, so the ruling bodies have kindly allowed our organizations the option of implementing a local rule that saves us that trouble. That is ALL that this local rule does, save time and trouble. It doesn't provide any information that isn't available by other means, it just makes obtaining it more efficient.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My friend and I were having this discussion just a few days ago. We both play in the same tournaments, and he has a GPS that tells him pretty accurate distances, while I don't.

How much money into your bag and you can't come up with 2 hundy for a GPS?

I play in at least a couple of tournaments each month, and ANYTHING that helps to speed up play should be not only allowed, but embraced. There is nothing more frustrating than standing on the tee waiting while the players ahead of you wander around looking for sprinkler heads, then pace off the distance to their balls, then finally pull a club from the bag. By the time he finds a sprinkler, I'd have already shot the target with my rangefinder, played my shot and been moving on.

I'm convinced.

Igolf (Bushnell Neo) is $130 on Ebay. That's less that $33/each if split amongst a team of 4.

Been playing just a few months but I play almost every day.

What's in my bag: Distance Master Driver, Maltby Trouble Out woods/hybrids, Maltby KE4 Irons (all assembled by me so I can never blame my equipment).

No, cuz its moronic and a waste of time and money. Much faster to just guess then spend 5 minutes fumbling around with your expensive insecurity blanket. And you'll feel worse when you hit a bad shot when you have it.

stand bag:

Driver: DDH 10*
Woods: DDH 3W-15*, 5W-21*
Irons: DDH 3-SWWedge: VR LW 60*Putter: VSL

No, cuz its moronic and a waste of time and money. Much faster to just guess then spend 5 minutes fumbling around with your expensive insecurity blanket. And you'll feel worse when you hit a bad shot when you have it.

I take it you have never used one before.

ANYTHING that helps to speed up play should be not only allowed, but embraced.

Completely agree!

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

I voted no, simply because some people cannot afford them. Just because you can doesn't mean you should be at an advantage.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

That is the difference between good players and bad players. Bad players can guess at the yardage and it doesn't matter because they won't hit the shot they needed to anyway. Good players know how to hit a shot 110 yards, and they know how to hit a ball 103 yards, and hit a ball 117 yards. For me, these are three different shots and I can be +/- 4 yards on any of them. And BTW, it takes about 30 seconds max to get a number with a GPS or rangefinder.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

No, cuz its moronic and a waste of time and money.

Wait, did you just say "No,

cuz its moronic..." ? You have got to be kidding me. No one will take you seriously when you say things like that. While I agree with your answer, I believe they are very simple, as my family uses one and you can go an entire round without hitting a single button. Sorry for the double post.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

I voted no, simply because some people cannot afford them. Just because you can doesn't mean you should be at an advantage.

So you are saying that you shouldn't be able to use your clubs because lots of people couldn't afford them? Better run out to kmart and buy some Dunlops.

During a tournament, absolutely NOT. That's cheating. You can use whenever you want, but not during any competitions.

If someone uses it during tournament, then everybody should use it too.

Driver TP Burner 8.5* Stiff
3 Wood SQ 15* stiff
5 Wood SQ 19* stiff
Irons MP 67 (3-PW) stiff
Wedge 52* and 56* stiffPutter Mtisushiba Ball

i think it'd be fine only if every player had one. i don't think it is fair if some players don't.

You choose your priorities and if a GPS or rangefinder isn't one of them, then you live with your choice.

Fact: Golf is an expensive game, and anyone who commits to playing it at a reasonable level has accepted that fact. If you choose not to spend $150 or more on a distance measuring device, then you still have no right to dictate to someone who has made that a priority in their game. It's a legal tool in today's game, so maybe it's time YOU changed YOUR priorities instead of trying to regulate mine.

Ok... lot's of players can't afford (or aren't willing to pay the price for) Pro V1 or other premium balls. Guess we ban them too. And Scotty Cameron putters... or top brand drivers and irons... the list goes on and on. If you take it to the extreme you might as well just ban the game of golf, because it won't be any fun if everyone has to be equal to everyone else. That isn't competition, it's communism.

Anyone entering a competition should find out the conditions of that competition. If rangefinders are allowed, then you make your own decision as to whether you are going to play or not. If you decide to play and not use a rangefinder for whatever reason, then that is your decision and yours alone... you didn't have to enter. You can also limit your competitive play to tournaments where they do not allow them. Or maybe you can start putting aside some money to buy your own. Then you can join the right side of the debate.
During a tournament, absolutely NOT. That's cheating. You can use whenever you want, but not during any competitions.

It is NOT cheating if the local rule is in effect for the tournament. Why can't you get that through your head. Cheating is gaining an advantage by illegal or improper means. Using a rangefinder is NOT cheating in most club tournaments in the USA because they have chosen to allow it. I have yet to play in a tournament where they are NOT allowed. Good grief!!! Time to wake up.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So you are saying that you shouldn't be able to use your clubs because lots of people couldn't afford them? Better run out to kmart and buy some Dunlops.

No that is not what I'm saying. Clubs are necessary tools in playing golf. A rangefinder/GPS is a useful accessory, but in no way necessary. You can't play golf without your clubs, but you can play without a GPS.

So if someone can pay the money for one, he should be able to use it outside of tournament play. I would be fine with them within competition if the tournament host could provide a GPS to every player, but that is in no way likely to ever happen.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°

Ok... lot's of players can't afford (or aren't willing to play the price for) Pro V1 or other premium balls. Guess we ban them too. And Scotty Cameron putters... or top brand drivers and irons... the list goes on and on.

That doesn't mean Pro V1's are the best for every body. For instance, I cannot play a Pro V to it's full potential because I do not swing fast enough. My father can. So my Bridgestone e7+ performs, for me, the same as a Pro V perfroms for someone like my father.

Just because certain brands of equipment are marketed to be the best, and are thought of to be the best by large within the golfing community, does not mean they are. the question is not, "Should I use a rangefinder if it is allowed?" But, "Should you be allowed to use a rangefinder during a tournament?", with "you" referring to "the field". Maybe some people can't save money anymore. Have you even read the news lately? Some people are living paycheck to paycheck. There's no room for 300 dollar purchases. The only reason I can still play golf right now is because we payed for a 3 year membership, about 2 years ago. Who knows what's going to happen after 1 year from now. There are thousands of people in the same situation, and if they're fortunate enough to still be playing golf, like us, I don't think that they should be at a disadvantage because they can't afford a GPS.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°

Note: This thread is 5410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!