IGNORED

Coming back to the game

Note: This thread is 5552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all! First a little background. I am coming back to the game after a few years off. I used to shoot in the low 90s to high 80's. I am currently only working at the practice tee to get back into shape before I even attempt to play a full round. I am happy that everything is coming back fairly quickly and my swing is on plane and not looking like a rusty gate. So here are my questions:

1. Timing: My timing is off a hair. Sometimes the hips are early, sometimes the hands and sometimes everything is together perfectly. What would be a good drill to use to help keep everything together so I can improve consistancy? My friend (plays with a 5 handicap) suggested that I warm up buy taking easy swings with my legs and feet together so I can get a feel for when everything is timed correctly.

2. Grip: I've noticed that I have a very mild slice (almost a nice fade) with my irons and a more pronounce slice with the driver. After seeing a tidbit on the Golf channel I've come to think it's my grip. The "V" on my right hand points to the right shoulder so that's good but my left hand has a weak position. Next time to the practice range I'm going to focus on using a stronger grip. Am I on the right track?

3. Grip 2: I have slightly smaller hands and have always used an interlocking grip. Would moving to an overlapping grip help make sure my left hand stays in a stronger position?

4. Blisters: Yes I know they are to be expected when coming back to the game. I use non-cord tour velvet grips so I don't think the grips are the problem. Most likely it is a grip pressure thing. Would an overlapping grip also help with keeping better grip pressure?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance!

9015D 9.5* w/Harrison Saga 60-S
S9-1F 15.5* w/Aldila NVS - S
Idea Tech A4 19* and 21* Hybrids w/Mitsubishi JavlnHX - S
Idea Tech A4 5-PW w/True Temper Dynamic Gold SL -S300
Tom Watson Wedges 50*, 56* and 60* Antigua 33" or BC1 33" TP Red LDP

I worked on my grip last night just taking light and easy swings (from waist level) and was pleased with the results. I had watched a bunch of stuff on Youtube to get a good idea of how the grip should look. The overlapping grip is actually much more comfortable for my hands and gives the swing a much lighter, freer feeling. Also I've marked up my glove with a marker to remind me where the grip should go in my hand when correct. I noticed with the new grip my right hand is very lightly gripping the club, which will undoubtedly help with the blisters. I'm going to the practice range tomorrow after work to take full swings with the new grip. I'm pretty confident that the results will be good.

After that all there is to do is fine tune my timing and get out and hit some shots.

I think that swinging with your feet touching is great for timing tempo and promoting shoulder turn. That is what my instructor had me do, and I still do from time to time to get everything in sync. As for the grip, I would suggest that you make a small investment in Hogan's 5 Lessons and spend a week practicing lesson 1, The Grip. I bought it last week and have been practicing the past 5 days. I took it to the course last night and was bombing drives and throwing darts into greens after I loosened up and decided to trust it.

Final thought, if you have some extra scratch, I would suggest that you get some lessons from a pro.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

focus on the impact zone by hitting your wedges and slowly moving up your clubs working on fundamentals

grip
posture
alignment
take away
club position on the take away
distance you take the club back

I practice even hitting shot only taking the club back hip high to get the feel for making solid contact and practicing the swing in small parts may help you simplify the golf swing for you also.

The result, when I when out to play my irons were crisp and I felt confident with approach shots all the way up to my driver.

Remember the saying to improve you score, practice from the hole backwards......... putting, chipping pitching.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Thanks for the book recommendation. I can get it from Amazon in Kindle format and sitck it on my iPhone so I can look at it while at the practice range for reminders.

An update of my progress. Went to the practice range yesterday and concentrated on correcting my grip. Made sure between each swing that I reset the grip into the proper stronger position with an overlapping grip. I was pleased with the results. Hit about 50 7i shots and all of them were straight as an arrow but I did hit a chunky one now and again. Hit 20 more with the wedges and same result but with fewer fat shots. 20 more with my hybrid and was hitting them long and straight with the occasional gentle fade. Finally hit 25 with the driver. I was a bit disappointed after the success with the other clubs. I was still hitting a slice but it was no where near as severe. The last 10 or so with the driver I really concentrated on controlling the club head and had better results with a few straight shots and others with a 10 yard fade. I was hitting off of a very low tee and was getting a little bit of the mat with each stroke which may have been opening the club face a smidge. So it is progress. I also noticed that my tempo was slower but I was hitting the ball much more pure. Getting better distance and straighter shots. Seems that the lighter club head of the driver requires much more control to keep on plane. I'm going to work on a gate drill with my driver to make sure I come into the impact zone from the inside. After that is just practice and fine-tuning.

Note: This thread is 5552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!