IGNORED

So, is anyone in the US getting up early enough to watch the Open Championship?

ControlJunkie
Note: This thread is 5418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's irrelevant who is providing your coverage in the U.S. It's all using the BBC feed. Upconverted SD is not HD. The BBC isn't broadcasting in HD, and you're not seeing HD.

It looks nothing like standard on my set as you originally said it was. You know what I'm talking about, that washed out blurry look or the lame boxed image, which is what I thought you were referring to. So since it is upconverted(like most broadcasting) it looks 'high' enough for me. It also looks pretty kick ass to me(despite being a links course) so there'll be no arguing that! If I can make out the Nike swoosh and what not on the golf balls, I'm content. But as you pointed out, they're terrible at tracking over there.

Watching all 8 hours until 4am while drinking probably made the picture kick even more ass for myself

I heard on the PGA Tour Network on XM/Sirius that none of the coverage will be in HD. Has anyone else heard that?

None of the BBC coverae is in HD. there's outrage over here about that. Got some kind of b*ll*cks statement abut the experiment at Wimbledon being very satisfactory and the Open will be in HD from 2010.

Intersting point: some of the BBC staffers weren't aware that there would be no HD coverage.

I just watched some of the 2nd round today on my plasma in the living room(vs the HD protection set in my bed room I watched the 1st round on). Holy hell what a difference. It almost gave me a headache on the plasma due to the washed out and grainy look. This makes me sad. Going to stick to my projection set as it looks much better.

• Administrator
None of the BBC coverae is in HD. there's outrage over here about that. Got some kind of b*ll*cks statement abut the experiment at Wimbledon being very satisfactory and the Open will be in HD from 2010.

I don't think it was so much an experiment as what I might have heard.

I heard that the BBC won't do the "mixed" coverage like we sometimes used to see in the U.S.: HD cameras on the platforms, but all the walking cameras were non-HD. They used to do that in the U.S. and up-rez the SD walking cameras (for the past few years, the walking cameras have all been HD as well, so far as I know). The BBC has enough HD cameras to put in towers - the bigger, heavier ones you can't carry - but they don't have enough or any walking ones, so they choose not to do HD at all. So not so much an "experiment" as "our policy is to not do HD unless it's all HD." Or something like that. End result is irrelevant of the reasoning: we don't get HD.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!