IGNORED

So I heard forged irons wear faster??

Note: This thread is 5433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I heard that forged irons are affected by wear, rust and constant use faster than cast irons, is that true?
If so, what are good ways to protect them for the longest possible time that does not include using iron head covers (because I am not using these even if I'm payed to)?
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

I heard that forged irons are affected by wear, rust and constant use faster than cast irons, is that true?

they do wear faster than cast because they are made of a softer metal,to protect them u could not use them as much.

they will wear faster but they will still last you for years. im on my 2nd set of TP CB's but i could've still been playing my original set that i bought in 2003 if i had to (played them for 5 years). i just bought another set cuz i ran across a new set of ebay late last year...

Forged clubs are usually made from a low carbon steel. Cast are usually made from stainless steel. Carbon steel, like other metals and alloys, oxidizes in air and moisture. You see rust because low carbon steel forms iron oxide on the surface, it flakes off exposing the raw surface below, and rusting (oxidizing agian). Stainless steels have chromium alloyed in. This results in a CrO oxide which does not flake off, instead it grows to ~10-100 angtroms and stops. If you scratch a cast club and keep it dry the oxide will re-form in air and your club will have some corrosion resistance. If you damage the oxide or passive layer and the club is wet, you may experience pitting corrosion.
The forged clubs all have some kind of chrome or nickel plating but once that is damaged its just a matter of time before the corrosion begins.

What can you do to prevent/minimize the corrosion issues?

1) Dry your sticks off after each use.
2) NEVER use iron covers! Not only do they look stupid, but they trap in moisture which accellerates the corrosion process.
3) Keep your clubs out of humid enviroments.

Feel free to ask if clarification is needed!

In My Bag
Driver: 907 D2 10.5 degrees Aldila VS Proto
3 Wood: 906 F4 15.5 degrees Aldila VS Proto
Hybrid: Idea Pro 20 degrees Aldila VS Proto
Irons (3-P): i5Wedges: Vokey 52.8 and Vokey Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Style NewportBall: Pro V1x or NXT Tour

So I should dry them well after cleaning?
It gets very humid here in summer, that's something I cannot do anything about.
My achievements:

So I should dry them well after cleaning?

its humid as hell here too. i always wipe my irons down, dry them with a towel, and leave them inside in the air conditioning after i play, and ive never had a problem with rust because of that

So I should dry them well after cleaning? It gets very humid here in summer, that's something I cannot do anything about.

Yes, dry them off after cleaning. When they are not in use store them inside. Although mild steels corrode easily if you take the above precautions they will provide you years of service.

Feel free to send me metallurgy related questions!

In My Bag
Driver: 907 D2 10.5 degrees Aldila VS Proto
3 Wood: 906 F4 15.5 degrees Aldila VS Proto
Hybrid: Idea Pro 20 degrees Aldila VS Proto
Irons (3-P): i5Wedges: Vokey 52.8 and Vokey Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Style NewportBall: Pro V1x or NXT Tour

I've never seen anyone have a problem with this. The only clubs I've seen rust are those kept in a garage or some other outdoors room throughout the winter. I live by the coast in a very humid environment. I have a large and good towel on the bag, with 1/3 of it being soaked in water. After every shot with every club, I clean it and dry it before putting it back. During the season I mostly keep the bag I the trunk of my car, but if I've played while it's raining I always take it indoors, make sure all the clubs are dry and let it dry up over night.

During winter, if you have such in Egypt , store the bag somewhere dry and warm. Doing this, your clubs will last for many many years.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

During winter, if you have such in Egypt , store the bag somewhere dry and warm. Doing this, your clubs will last for many many years.

Hahaha. We do have winters, at least by our standards. (anything less than 12C and I start getting chilblains on my toes). It's usually dry in winter, not that humid, and I certainly won't keep them in a place where rain would reach them. It's the summer that is humid as **** here.

My achievements:

Softer materials are used in forged irons, as im sure has been pointed out already. The better player you are, the shorter amount of time the short and middle irons on your forged irons will last. Wear spots resulting in rust is common with the forgies. The face on my PW is starting to rust spot after less than a full season of use. My last set before I got my AP2's, the center of the face on the PW caved inwards after only 2 1/2 - 3 seasons of use. You can play them fine with the wear spots, but it just bothers some to look at it from address.

But the good thing is that you can useally buy forged clubs indvidually, so you can buy another to replace your worn out one without having to buy a whole new set. Above the 8i, you can own and use a set of forged clubs just as long as a cast set.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 5433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!