IGNORED

John Deere Classic

Thrash13
Note: This thread is 6512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Please know what you're talking about before you pass judgement. She does not meet the minimum age requirement, and Commisioner Bivens is steadfast in her refusal to grant her a waiver. Thus, she can only compete in so many LPGA tournaments a year, as a non-LPGA member.

Yes I'm well aware of the age restrictions just like Ty Tryon and the PGA when he did indeed won his card at Q school. Please re-read my post outlining where she should play.

All the media hype and apologists, about and for Wie has assured I'll never root for her. If she would've come up the correct way I would have been behind her all the way. Pressel gets my vote now. I know 50 guys including my son, who turned Pro this year after playing for a D-1 College, that can, if they got exemptions play and make a cut. But sure give a exemption to someone who is trying to prove what? What a waste.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I'm well aware of the age restrictions just like Ty Tryon and the PGA when he did indeed won his card at Q school. Please re-read my post outlining where she should play.

Then you should know that in order for Wie to go to Q-school, she needs to be granted membership first. Just like Pressel and Song before her, they needed commissioner approval before they could even attempt to earn their cards. Wie is not getting that approval (because Bivens is an idiot).

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

Then you should know.

QUALIFYING LOCATION
A. NON-LPGA TOUR MEMbERS (ENTRY FEE: CERTIFIED ChECk)
PAYAbLE TO: ThE LADIES PROFESSIONAL GOLF ASSOCIATION (PERSONAL ChECk NOT ACCEPTED)
ChECk ONE bOX
Both Palm Springs and Venice Sectional Qualifiers
Fee: $5,000.00
Deadline: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 by 5:30 p.m. (EDT)
Only Palm Springs, California, September 19-22, 2006, Mission hills Country Club
Fee: $4,000.00
Only Venice, Florida, October 3-6, 2006, Plantation Golf & Country Club
Fee: $4,000.00
Sectional Qualifiers (Top-30 and ties) will be automatically entered in the Final Tour Qualifier at LPGA INTERNATIONAL,
Legends/Champions Courses November 29-December 3, 2006. No further entry fee is required.

#4 under Eligibilty on the application states "Entries are subject to the eligibility of the LPGA constitution and are subject to rejection at any time . . .". According to the LPGA constitution, a female has to be 18 unless granted special permission to apply for membership. Wie has not been granted any special permission = no Q school. If Bivens was smart, she would grant the special permission (like Pressel) and Wie could play full time on the LPGA.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can i borrow your copy of the LPGA constitution? I'd like to see for myself if it says that. I'll bet it says you have to be a "member" to play on the tour full time. Not go to Q school

At any rate, I'm willing to concede that one point. So where does that leave her? On the status she does have, there are plenty of women's events to enter, and who knows, she might win one.

The contrary point of view is that,

After trying to qualify for the US Open and Playing the Johin Deere most of the LPGA length courses look like a pitch and putt to her.

I still couldn't believe she drove the ball 100 yards past Ochoa on the 18th hole of the McDonalds Championship. If only Michelle could chip and putt.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

Why did she turn pro if she cannot play in more than 7 tournaments a year...the money will be there when she is old enough...she could still play in those tournaments through exemptions...i don't understand her reason of thinking...i don't dislike the fact that she is playing in men's tournaments, i dislike the fact that she is getting into them by not qualifying and such...if she qualified for the masters through the pub links, i'd be content...she proved she could get there....but dont judge me b/c i don't believe that she has done enough to play this many tournaments on the men's tour.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Can i borrow your copy of the LPGA constitution? I'd like to see for myself if it says that. I'll bet it says you have to be a "member" to play on the tour full time. Not go to Q school

Pulled directly from the LPGA's Website regarding Morgan Pressel's exemption:

The LPGA Constitution requires members to be at least 18 years old, but players 15-18 can petition the commissioner for special permission to attempt to qualify for the Tour. Aree Song was the first player to receive such an exemption when Commissioner Ty Votaw, in 2003, allowed her to attend q-school and compete on Tour prior to her 18th birthday, which was on May 1, 2004. Morgan, who has decided to bypass Duke University, petitioned Commissioner Votaw in June, and he made his decision this week (Carmen Bandea, a relative unknown 15-year-old from Atlanta, had also petitioned Votaw, and her request was denied. Seventeen-year-old In-Bee Park met with Votaw this week and is awaiting his decision). The verdict? Morgan can attend q-school in the fall, and if she gets her card, she can join the Tour when she turns 18 on May 23 (she'll have graduated from high school three days prior). So it's a "sort-of" exemption in Morgan's eyes, better than having to wait until 2007 to join the Tour, but not as good as earning full membership right out of the gates for next season. Additionally, as I said earlier, the minimum age requirement for the Duramed Futures tour is 17. Wie's 16.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

• Administrator
I was playing today. Bet if she was -4 and making the cut, she'd tough it out.

You bet wrong.

PRACTICE, Futures tour, Europe women's tour? Take your pick.

You know as well as anyone practice can only go so far. She's not eligible to play the Futures Tour. She could play the European Women's Tour, but given that their golf courses are very different, it may not server her very well.

The point again is that she plays against the women on the LPGA Tour as often as she's allowed. She has 45 other weeks out of the year, and this year she's filling THREE of them by playing on the PGA Tour. A whole three! Wow! 6.7% of those spare weeks.
There's the problem. GO and earn your spot.

She has. Even with the limited schedule she's been allowed to play, she earned enough money to earn a card IF SHE WAS ALLOWED. She's not because she's 16.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

You're missing the point, Dan. She can't go to Q-School even if she wanted because, as a non-member, she earned enough money in LPGA sanctioned events (and already has this year too) to be granted membership.

It'd be like Adam Scott going to Q-School. There'd be no point. He already has his membership. Michelle Wie would already have a membership by "money earned" if she was ALLOWED to join. Bivens refuses to let her. And since she is allowed to be on the LPGA Tour, she's ineligible to play on the Futures Tour.
All the media hype and apologists, about and for Wie has assured I'll never root for her. If she would've come up the correct way I would have been behind her all the way. Pressel gets my vote now.

In other words, you're an egotistical jerk who knows everything. Because someone didn't come up the way you wanted, she doesn't get your support. What you meant to say was "If she would've come up the way I decree to be correct...".

It only makes sense that you'd align yourself with Morgan Pressel, who would do her self a big favor if she forgot Michelle Wie existed and would actually play her own game instead of the "I must beat Michelle" game which, if you haven't noticed, almost never works.
But sure give a exemption to someone who is trying to prove what? What a waste.

From what perspective?

Tournament - Hey, by letting this one person in, we can get all kinds of media coverage! Win Michelle Wie - Hey, I can practice under really tough tournament conditions. Win Fans - Hey, we get to see what this young girl can do the first two days before we focus on the people in contention. There are a lot more of those than the "screw Michelle Wie" camp, so, Win Other Pro Golfers - "She took my spot, but then again I was one of a few hundred guys trying for that sponsor's exemption anyway, and there were 7 other spots too, so that barely decreases my odds." Loss , but barely - their chances decrease about 5%. No further response from you is necessary. It's obvious you have a severe amount of contempt for someone who's never done anything to you and who is simply trying to do what she thinks (or her parents think) is best. I don't agree with the path she's taken, but she turned pro and now has to make the best of it. You're not a deity, so hold off on passing judgment.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There are definitely two polar opposite points of view. Nothing anyone says is going to change my mind about how I feel about Wie. Likewise for other people that are pro-Wie.

Yes, one of these days she will make the cut on the PGA Tour. But do think she EVER has a chance of winning? I don't think she could win a Nationwide Tour event!

Shouldn't your goal of entering a tournament be to win, rather than make the cut? Oops sorry, there I go spouting venom again.

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

• Administrator
There are definitely two polar opposite points of view. Nothing anyone says is going to change my mind about how I feel about Wie. Likewise for other people that are pro-Wie.

I don't consider myself pro-Wie. I just refuse to criticize

everything she does. I'll criticize the dumb comments, but not her taking sponsor's exemptions to play wherever she can play.
Shouldn't your goal of entering a tournament be to win, rather than make the cut? Oops sorry, there I go spouting venom again.

If you're at the level where you can win, that should be your goal.

Michelle's stated goal is to make the cut. I'm all for setting tough goals, but apparently for her, making the cut is a tough enough goal. If she started to say "I want to win the 84 Lumber Classic" the anti-Wie folks would have a field day. She'd never hear the end of it. I take what she said as the truth, because she's said it often enough and others have backed her up, too: playing the PGA Tour under tournament conditions makes the LPGA courses seem "easier." Thus, it's good preparation, again like a sprinter running with a little extra weight around his ankles. It is what it is. I fail to understand why everyone gets so worked up against a girl for doing what she can do. My distaste is directed at Carolyn Bivens and, occasionally, at Wie when she makes dumb comments. But not at Wie for taking a sponsor's exemption offered to her.

The important question here is who will win the John Deere Classic this weekend? I'd be happy to see a number of players win and get a spot in next week's British Open.

I've been on Ryan Moore's jock the last few weeks it seems, so I might as well keep it up this weekend. I'm hoping he picks up the win and goes on to win many more times. If the United States golf fans need anything, it's definitely an up-and-comer to challenge the big boys.

Bivens refuses to let her.

Why? What's the reason behind this?

In other words, you're an egotistical jerk who knows everything.

apparently I'm not the only one around here.

It only makes sense that you'd align yourself with Morgan Pressel, who would do her self a big favor if she forgot Michelle Wie existed and would actually play her own game instead of the "I must beat Michelle" game which, if you haven't noticed, almost never works.

You need to jump down off your throne and get some real life experience with the tournament entry process. I spent 5 years taking a kid to junior events around the country. I saw MONEY and STATUS push their little johnny to the front of the line everytime. Daddy/Mommy Wie dog and pony show is what makes me root for the underdog. Players who get there by ability and determination. Yes my son made it, got his scholarship too. Turned pro and now is trying to qualify for the tour. There is only 4 ways to get on the PGA tour. Of course that doesn't count the wie way.

From what perspective?

Mine

• Administrator
Why? What's the reason behind this?

You didn't even know she was denied membership. I'm done helping you learn - kindly look it up yourself.

You need to jump down off your throne and get some real life experience with the tournament entry process. I spent 5 years taking a kid to junior events around the country. I saw MONEY and STATUS push their little johnny to the front of the line everytime. Daddy/Mommy Wie dog and pony show is what makes me root for the underdog. Players who get there by ability and determination. Yes my son made it, got his scholarship too. Turned pro and now is trying to qualify for the tour. There is only 4 ways to get on the PGA tour. Of course that doesn't count the wie way.

Ah, the truth comes out. You're bitter. Bitter about "MONEY" and "STATUS" and bitter that Michelle Wie is getting attention while your son is getting less, despite your honest belief that your son is better than Michelle Wie (and maybe he is). And clearly Michelle Wie has "ability."

But that's irrelevant, really. If your son could double gate receipts and media attention at a PGA Tour event, he'd get an exemption too. I'm done responding to you, Dan. I try not to waste my time with the irrational, and Michelle Wie is clearly a subject towards which you're irrational.

Back from my golf game.........

You didn't even know she was denied membership. I'm done helping you learn - kindly look it up yourself.

Yes, I'd heard something about it. Obviously if she'd went through the proper rules and regs, she'd be able to play. But she obviously didn't and can't. I guess Daddy couldn't get her "cuts" in line.

Ah, the truth comes out. You're bitter. Bitter about "MONEY" and "STATUS" and bitter that Michelle Wie is getting attention while your son is getting less, despite your honest belief that your son is better than Michelle Wie (and maybe he is). And clearly Michelle Wie has "ability."

Bitter? No, just pointing out the way the system works. If you have money and influence, doors seem to open.

But that's irrelevant, really. If your son could double gate receipts and media attention at a PGA Tour event, he'd get an exemption too.

If the Hooters girls had a wet teeshirt contest on every hole, they'd draw more than Wie. Should they get exemptions? Fact is my son is on staff with a major club manufacturer and get's matching funds. So he's just playing minitours until the Q School where he'll EARN his spot, or maybe not.

I'm done responding to you, Dan. I try not to waste my time with the irrational, and Michelle Wie is clearly a subject towards which you're irrational.

I can see you're used to intimidating folks with your opinion, and that's fine. But really you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the Junior, Amateur, College, or Pro golf entry procedure. I've lived in that world for 10 years, you haven't.

• Administrator
Yes, I'd heard something about it. Obviously if she'd went through the proper rules and regs, she'd be able to play. But she obviously didn't and can't. I guess Daddy couldn't get her "cuts" in line.

That doesn't even make sense. She's done all she can do. Bivens denied her special membership despite overwhelming evidence that she's capable of playing at that level. It has nothing to do with "the proper rules and regs."

Bitter? No, just pointing out the way the system works. If you have money and influence, doors seem to open.

And you're behaving like someone without the money or the influence, lashing out at those who you perceive to have the money or influence.

If the Hooters girls had a wet teeshirt contest on every hole, they'd draw more than Wie.

Right, because that's the same thing... C'mon, if this is the best argument you can make for yourself, how can you not already see you've lost?

But really you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the Junior, Amateur, College, or Pro golf entry procedure. I've lived in that world for 10 years, you haven't.

You don't need to live in that world to know the facts of Wie's situation.

Besides, a few posts ago it was five years. Now it's 10. You can be quiet for a few days Dan.

Note: This thread is 6512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!