IGNORED

Was I wrong here?

Donnie_Brasco
Note: This thread is 5545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So you would not want to lose the profit on 1 driver by having to sell it as a used/demo club, but you'd be happy to lose the profit on a full set of irons and wedges? Are you making a financial decision or an emotional one?

Clearly emotional

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree to an extent. That would apply more to a mom and pop shop(who really needs the business). He is doing his buying at a box store. We don't know his buying habits. We don't know how often he buys new clubs. I have been in retail management at a box store type(not in golf). We didn't cater to everybodys whim.

I stated something similar in my first post here. He was shopping at a discount golf store yet expected treatment as if he was buying from some expensive country club pro shop. There, the pro's livelihood depends on catering to customers who he has to get to know and who all know and talk to each other.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I want to mention that the OP plays with a stiff shaft and the loaner he was offered had a regular shaft. I play with a stiff to XS shaft (depending on the manufacturer). I've taken some swings with a regular shaft and, ah, it's not pretty. I had to slow down my swing which threw my rhythm off. I would not want to try and play five rounds with a regular shaft. I'd either spray it all over the place or, worse, I'd get used to the shaft and then have to spend time and frustration re-adjusting to the stiff shaft when I got it back in 2 weeks. Offering a guy who plays a stiff shaft a regular shaft isn't really a very good solution. How many guys who play a regular shaft would take a senior shaft as a loaner?

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I have to keep saying this, I didnt demand anything..

I said I want my club in a stiff flex..If you have one thats fine, if you dont, we have a problem, it just so happens the only 1 they have is new.. thats not my fault..

i would have gladly taken a used club with my specs, unfortunately they didnt have it.. so how is that my fault?

I want to mention that the OP plays with a stiff shaft and the loaner he was offered had a regular shaft. I play with a stiff to XS shaft (depending on the manufacturer). I've taken some swings with a regular shaft and, ah, it's not pretty. I had to slow down my swing which threw my rhythm off. I would not want to try and play five rounds with a regular shaft. I'd either spray it all over the place or, worse, I'd get used to the shaft and then have to spend time and frustration re-adjusting to the stiff shaft when I got it back in 2 weeks. Offering a guy who plays a stiff shaft a regular shaft isn't really a very good solution. How many guys who play a regular shaft would take a senior shaft as a loaner?

Good point it would be a major inconvenience and almost pointless to give him a loaner club with the wrong shaft.

"The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." - Oscar Wilde

I would have taken another manufacturer's used driver in stif flex. I would have looked at it as an opportunity to try out another club for two weeks.

My Tools of Ignorance:

I would have taken another manufacturer's used driver in stif flex. I would have looked at it as an opportunity to try out another club for two weeks.

I would have too! I would have checked out all their demo clubs and hit them in their cage/simulator. I would have found the one I liked best (clubhead/shaft combo) and enjoyed it for two weeks. I'd try and make sure that the shaft flex and kick point were similar to what I was ultimately getting and that the clubhead weight was also about the same. After that, I would pick what played best and tried it out for two weeks. That said, that's how I would have dealt with it, but my way isn't the only way, nor is it the 'right' way, it's just my way.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I would have too! I would have checked out all their demo clubs and hit them in their cage/simulator. I would have found the one I liked best (clubhead/shaft combo) and enjoyed it for two weeks. I'd try and make sure that the shaft flex and kick point were similar to what I was ultimately getting and that the clubhead weight was also about the same. After that, I would pick what played best and tried it out for two weeks. That said, that's how I would have dealt with it, but my way isn't the only way, nor is it the 'right' way, it's just my way.

Never said it was the only right way. Please read my earlier post. I was telling the OP ithat this was all a matter of opinion and he couldn't expect everyone here just to agree with his expectations.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Fat Slice, i agree with what you said somewhat..

but i just settled on the V2, roughly 2 weeks prior. i have went through several drivers since Feb, this is the 1st club I truly like.. Golf is a mental thing, say I pick up some random driver and for 2 weeks i nail it, and now i want this one? i dont need to be confused anymore than I already am..

I just wanted a V2 with a Stiff BB..

He also said that if he still had his sumo that wouldn't have been a big deal because he would have a back up. My question is why didn't you just go and get a used sumo?

Now for the customer service theory should the guy have offered him something yes very much so but should have given the new club probably not. You don't know their current financial situation maybe losing that $150 is a killer for them right now. If its not a a big deal to them than neither is that $100 a year he would be spending.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

There are 3 Roger Dunns within a 30 mile radius, why didnt the associate call them and see if they had one? He had a lot of options besides the one that happened, either he didnt think of them or was lazy.

If he would have been apologetic instead of smug about it and said, let me get you a sleave of pro v and a 25 dollar gift card that would have smoothed it over..

but nothing was offered except a loaner and my club being gone for 2 weeks..

like i have said previously i run a nightclub..

if one of my vip table buyers has a bottle knocked over and spilled, i go over to them and offer them a couple rounds of drinks, if they say come on it was a full bottle, i happily replace it and give them the round anyway.. Why? casue a happy patron comes back.. i give them my card and say if you have any other needs, please have security radio for me.. a bottle of grey goose sells for 440.00 in nightclubs, but its the right thing to do.. sometimes stuff happens, best bet is to just fix it, that will always benefit the business in the long run.. every time..

Well the $400 dollar a bottle profit you're turning off of that grey goose is probably a little better than 50 or 100 they are turning off that golf club. Also why didn't you just buy the one that had that shaft in the first place?
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Synopsis of your practically unreadable original post (a little bit of punctuation goes a long way, yo):

This guy nailed it. Both sides obviously did some wrong, with the shop trying to save some money and you being extremely OCD. As many have said, I woulda taken the loaner and asked them to throw in some accessories (tees, gloves, balls, etc...) I woulda been more than happy with that solution. Also why the need to even tell the story now that you got a ridiculously good deal getting a brand new club? Not a lot of sympathy is gonna be shed on you when you get such a great deal and then flaunt it on the forums while still portraying yourself as the victim.

stand bag:

Driver: DDH 10*
Woods: DDH 3W-15*, 5W-21*
Irons: DDH 3-SWWedge: VR LW 60*Putter: VSL

Also why the need to even tell the story now that you got a ridiculously good deal getting a brand new club? Not a lot of sympathy is gonna be shed on you when you get such a great deal and then flaunt it on the forums while still portraying yourself as the victim.

Wasn't the "new" club just a loaner...? I don't think he got a "great deal." Just a temporary fix.

In My Datrek Bag:

Driver: R9-460 9.5°
Woods: Burner 15°
Hybrids: Burner 3,4,5Irons: G10 Gap - 5 ironWedges: cg15: chrome, 56° 60°Putter: Studio Newport 2GPS Unit: Push Cart: 2.0

Donnie_Brasco,

Luckily thats a bridge we didn't have to cross.

i'm not sure actually what I might have done.. Perhaps G10? I dunno.. The associate didn't give me a lot of options, didn't offer any accessories, anything for my time having to drive back up there and back, there are always things you dont think of on the fly.. I live in Hollywood, Roger Dunns is about 15-20 mins away depending on traffic each way.... offering me a loaner and being without my club 2 weeks didn't fly, I stood up for myself, because I was right 110%. They effed up.. Maybe they should hire more qualified people.

Wasn't the "new" club just a loaner...? I don't think he got a "great deal." Just a temporary fix.

I offered to bring the club I walked out with back, and he said just keep it..

This club although new, it has been struck. it had tape over the plastic.. His point of sale was $50, like I have said I wasn't breaking there bank..

Note: This thread is 5545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!