IGNORED

quickie rules question

schapman

Note: This thread is 4813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been checking through some online rules but for some reason can't find this.

Last round out, I hit my shot onto the green. Another guy hit his to the left of the green. He proceded to hit a chip shot which struck my ball.

Is there a penalty? Or do I just replace my ball where it was?

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

Quickie answer......

He plays his as it lies. You replace yours. No penalty for either of you.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's how we played it.

Thanks.

Now if we're both on the green I'm required to mark + move it or I get a penalty if his ball strikes it right? Also, what happens if he putts and it hits my ball marker and changes path? This happened on another hole where a guy putted and it hit my ball marker and shifted line.

Thanks.

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

Now if we're both on the green I'm required to mark + move it or I get a penalty if his ball strikes it right? Also, what happens if he putts and it hits my ball marker and changes path? This happened on another hole where a guy putted and it hit my ball marker and shifted line.

I don't think you are required to mark you ball at all, it is more of a courtesy. Someone correct me on that if it is wrong I'm not entirely sure.

If a ball hits a marker on the green nothing happens. The marker is just part of the surface. Sometimes they bounce, or lose speed, or come off line. The player who is hitting a ball toward your marker should have asked you to move it if it was in his line. However if you move your marker or a ball hits it and causes it to move, you need to replace it to the original spot before you play.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

That's how we played it.

In stroke play you are not even required to mark. You may putt out. There is no penalty in stroke play for playing out of turn. If he putts and hits your ball HE gets penalized, not you. If the ball rolls over a ball marker, there is no penalty and it is played from where it comes to rest. If that marker is moved by the ball then it must be replaced, still no penalty

unless you fail to replace it . If it is not replaced, then you are playing from a wrong place and you will incur a 2 stroke penalty.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

In stroke play you are not even required to mark. You may putt out. There is no penalty in stroke play for playing out of turn. If he putts and hits your ball HE gets penalized, not you.

That reminds me of a time some friends and myself went out. We have a crappy little thing we play for a few times a year after work on a 9 hole pitch and putt. No one is a gentleman during these things and we just have a good time with it. One time a friend was on the green with me about a foot behind my ball on direct line to the hole. So I thought I'd have fun. I refused to mark my ball. He of course wasn't too amused but I cited the rules I didn't have to. I eventually agreed and threw down my beer bottle as a marker which got everyone laughing but him again. I removed that and he putted.

Later in the round on the last hole I was trailing him by 1 stroke. I made my tee shot and it rolled right past the hole to about 2 inches behind it. He made par to my birdie and we tied. Of course I noticed earlier in the round he had something like 18 clubs (who brings 18 clubs to a pitch and putt?!) so I cited the rule stating that he can't do that and I won. God, we're jerks lol.

I don't think you are required to mark you ball at all, it is more of a courtesy. Someone correct me on that if it is wrong I'm not entirely sure.

Back in the barnstormer days on the PGA tour, it was common for players to block the hole.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I refused to mark my ball. He of course wasn't too amused but I cited the rules I didn't have to.

Actually, if someone asks you to mark your ball because they think it will interfere with their shot, you have to mark it. See Rule 22-2.

S-
Driver: Nike Dymo² Str8-Fit 9.5° UST AXIV Core 69 Stiff
3 Wood: Nike Sumo² 3 Wood 15° Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20° DGS300
Irons: Titleist AP2 3-PW PX 5.5 (+ 1/2" and 2° upright)
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series 52°/8° Wedge: Titleist Vokey...

That's how we played it.

I say this happen in a PGA tournament (can't remember if it was Singh or Choi putting.) Long putt and it just knicked the ball marker (which deflected it enough to go into the hole.) Nobody did anything, so I assume it isn't a problem.)

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

• Administrator
Back in the barnstormer days on the PGA tour, it was common for players to block the hole.

Yeah, and the stymie was removed from the game in 1952.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Actually, if someone asks you to mark your ball because they think it will interfere with their shot, you have to mark it. See Rule 22-2.

You have to mark OR play your stroke. You still have the option.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Rick,

The assumption is that you are not going to play your stroke. If match play, you really don't have much choice.

S-
Driver: Nike Dymo² Str8-Fit 9.5° UST AXIV Core 69 Stiff
3 Wood: Nike Sumo² 3 Wood 15° Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20° DGS300
Irons: Titleist AP2 3-PW PX 5.5 (+ 1/2" and 2° upright)
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series 52°/8° Wedge: Titleist Vokey...

Note: This thread is 4813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!