IGNORED

Huge slice with driver-help!!!!

Note: This thread is 5385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know whats going on, for the past month I have had a big slice with my driver. I hit my irons straight, but I am loosing alot of distance with my driver because of the slice. Do you have any drills to help straighten my slice? Thanks, any advise will be appreciated.

In my Bag-

Driver: 909 d3 Matrix Ozik XCON 6 stiff
3 wood: 906 f4 Graphite Design YS-6+
Irons: r7 tp Dynamic Gold S300Wedges: vokey spin milled Putter: tei3 newport 2

When I have a slicing trend it is normally always because I am not clearing my hips through impact. Also, work on your spine angle and concentrate on fully releasing the club.

In my bag:
Driver: R5 TP Diamana 83s Shaft
Fairway: Burner 15 degree Fujikura REAX
Hybrid: Custom 19 degree
Irons: DCI 990 S300 4-PW

Wedges: NF 52.04*, Spin Milled 56.10* and 60.08*

Putter: Red X3

Ball: ProV1

Shoe: Tour 360 LTD

i recently fixed my slice with my driver. what i did was i changed my grip. with my old grip the "v" (the spot between ur thumb and pointer finger on your right hand if you are a righty) was on the left side of the grip. what i did was i just moved my hand over so the v is in the center of the grip and believe it or not it fixed my slice.

In my Callaway bag

Burner driver 10.5*
Burner 3 wood
SZ offset 5 wood G10 21* hybrid R7 irons 4-pw CG10 52* wedge 588 chrome 56* wedge Rossa putterany ball i find on the course, i rarely buy balls.

There are 2 things that can cause a slice: first.....swing path...ussually if the swing path is from out-to-in it will put a cut spin on the ball. Second.... if the club face is open relative to the swing path the ball will slice.

Get the face of the club square to slightly closed and the ball will be straight, or a slight draw relative to the path!

In My Callaway Warbird Stand Bag

Driver: Burner 9.5#
Fairway Wood: Burner 15*
Hybrid: Sumo 18*Hybrid: 22*Irons: :AP1 4-PW Rifle 5.5Wedges: G12 52,56,60Putter: C 67

Try going with a stronger grip. This may help at least tame it to be a fade instead of a 'huge' slice.

That could certainly help right away. I see a lot of people on the driving range with a very weak grip and they are wondering why they are slicing the hell out of the ball.

The grip may not fix the problem completely, as it's also probably swing related (swing path as others have alluded to) but this could certainly control it at least.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

There are 2 things that can cause a slice: first.....swing path...ussually if the swing path is from out-to-in it will put a cut spin on the ball. Second.... if the club face is open relative to the swing path the ball will slice.

Exactly right!

As far as how to fix it...go see a good teaching pro. One who really knows how to TEACH not just how to golf. If you look to internet message boards for swing tips you MAY find a patch that works for a while but good instruction will teach you the "hows" and "whys" which will lead to a better understanding of the golf swing and ultimately the ability to diagnose and fix your own swing when it get off track.

Since you're a low handicap, you must have a decent swing, and already know all these little tricks.

Could you just be tight with the driver? Does the slice disappear on the range?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been battling this same thing. I think I've narrowed it down to my wrists not turning over and squaring the club until after impact. I've been trying to focus on this but have had mixed results. I have found that the hand positioning trick that caddy45 used definitely helps with this since I don't have to rotate my wrists as far to get it back to square.

Josh

Some times I get a massive slice with my driver, like on the adjacent fairway slice. I find the only time I do this is when I am swing way to hard. It is on par 5's with wide fairways that it happens most. When I swing in tempo it all falls into place and I hit it strait and long. Just something to think about.

Driver: Titleist 905T 9.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Titleist 975F 13.5* Stiff
5 Wood: Cleavland Launcher 19* Stiff
Irons: 3-9 Titleist 670 DG s300
PW: Titleist Vokey 246.06GW: Titleist Vokey 252.08SW: Cleavland 588 Tour Action 56*Putter: Ping Pal 2

I was golfing yesterday with 3 friends and one of the guys was slicing big time. I told him to close his stance. And right away in his practice swing you could see a difference on his swing path. He smoked his drive right down the middle of the fairway.

I was golfing yesterday with 3 friends and one of the guys was slicing big time. I told him to close his stance. And right away in his practice swing you could see a difference on his swing path. He smoked his drive right down the middle of the fairway.

So when you close your stance you align your feet more to the right of the target, correct?

In my Bag-

Driver: 909 d3 Matrix Ozik XCON 6 stiff
3 wood: 906 f4 Graphite Design YS-6+
Irons: r7 tp Dynamic Gold S300Wedges: vokey spin milled Putter: tei3 newport 2

So when you close your stance you align your feet more to the right of the target, correct?

No offense, but how do you have an 8.3 index without knowing this?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!