IGNORED

Burner draw or no draw?

Note: This thread is 5379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have you thought about switching balls. I see you use the e5+, have you tried the e6+?
I started playing again last year after about 10 yrs off and was slicing the ball regularly. First new ball I tried was the e6+ and it helped a lot. Once I changed my grip, the slice became more of a soft fade.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

I'd get a lesson or two from a pro to see what swing flaw you have that is causing the slice. Also, though I'm not sure about this, the root of your problem might be a "too much spin" problem rather than a "bad alignment" problem, which the draw version sort of but not completely addresses. Might be better to go with a club offering a crown designed for low spin or high MOI club head rather than one turned a couple of degrees. Also, make sure you aren't using a shaft too stiff for your swing. A lot of pro shops (and Dick's and Golf Galaxy too) offer a fitting service where they will monitor your trajectory -- especially looking at your spin rate, launch angle, deviation, etc. That's a lot of info, but good luck!

I dunno guys, I think Im gonna go with the regular burner for now..... I have a square head knockoff with a draw bias already, my brother cracked it in the back of the head, but its still semi functional and if my swing gets off that bad, I can just use that for a temporary bandaid.

And great idea about using the remaining 50 bucks for a lesson. I think I may do that and tell him I wanna keep my drives straight! Hope its worth it though.

I appreciate everyones responses, off to buy a new driver!

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

If you have a slice that is frustrating you I would go with the Draw. I had a bad slice and picked up a Callaway FT-5 draw for a good deal. It didn't fix my problem but once I fixed some quirks in my grip and swing my driver now hits a pull with a slight fade at the end. If I use my old driver and try the same swing I still slice it but not as bad as it used to be. This draw driver has given my confidence off the tee and has really helped me enjoy the game again rather than always being fearful and have my slice in the back of my head at every tee box. I will use this draw driver for a couple years while I work on my swing and my next driver will be a regular driver.

Driver- Titleist 910 D3 9.5

3 Wood- Burner 15 degree
Irons- Slingshot 4I-AW
Hybrid- CPR 3 22 degree
Putter- White Hot XG 8

I bought the Burner 09 regular with 9.5* and was slicing the hell out of it. When I bought it I also bought the Burner 3 wood and the R7 Rescue 3 wood with draw. I noticed how the face of the draw was turned in a little so I turned my Driver inward a like the draw was set up and fixed it with in 2 rounds. If you have the fundamentals to hit these big drivers you can just buy the regular and play with the set up. Good luck!
What's in the Bag

Driver: Burner 09 9.5* S-Flex
3 Wood: Burner 09 15* S-Flex
Hybrid: r7 Rescue 19* R-FlexDriving Iron: 12*Irons PW-3: Ping Zing 2 SW: Pro Series X-14 56*Putter: G5i ALLY 35"Ball: Tour Fire

Well, I just ordered the regular TM burner! I'd rather work on my swing than a club make up for it. Also, Ive read that they are about 1 degree closed anyways, so that should help.

Cant wait to get it, thanks for all the insight guys! Got a great deal on this club!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

I agree with the "regular" crowd here... The draw club is a crutch IMHO. I am battling the chronic slice, but resisted the urge to buy a draw club also. My issue is ALL mental, as I can draw my irons at will, but still hit slices with the big twig.

I think you'd be better off in the long run if you invest the extra $50 in lessons & learn how to swing that thing correctly. Video may reveal your problem & help you fix it for life.

Last summer I bought a 10.5 460 draw and liked it, but it was no license to simply rip drives without minding proper swing fundamentals. As I'm trying to progress with shot shaping I found it difficult to hit a controllable draw with it. it's too easy to just plain pull the ball or hook it terribly. Switched to a 9.5 reg Burner yesterday and it was very comfortable and I'm confidant that as I work with it...I'll be able to work the ball with more control

I have a Burner Draw and so far have only played 2 rounds with it. The 1st round I hit 5 out of 5 fairways on the front 9 (there are 8 par 3's on this particular course), and only missed one on the back because I hit a worm burner for some reason. The second round I had a few missed fairways, but none were because of a slice. It was poor aim, hitting trough one and another worm burner (I'm guessing that where the "Burner" name comes from??..lol).

I also have the R7 Draw irons, which don't have the obvious closed face as the driver does but if they go right it's more of a slight fade than a slice.

If you have the time and $$ for constant practice/lessons to cure your slice, then by all means get the neutral driver. But if you're like me and only get out 2 or 3 times a month then go for the draw biased driver.

Of course the R9 460 would be the perfect one as you can adjust it as your game improves :P

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
What I play...
Driver - Burner Draw
Fairway - FY-Brid 3 Wood
Hybrid - Burner Rescue 19*Irons - R7 Draw 4-SW/LWWedge - CG14 Black 50*Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - TP RedBag - Stand Bag=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

It really depends how often you are in the fairway with a normal (neither fade nor draw biased) driver. If you are in the trees 90% of the time b/c of a slice, then get the draw driver and find some fairways with it. The more you hit, the better you'll feel and score, and the better you feel and score . . . the better you play. It's a paradox, but true. And the odd thing is that as your scores come down you'll start to figure out ways to get out more often, and then you'll get better b/c you're playing more. Then perhaps after 200 rounds or so (a good year) you can go with a driver with a slightly more open face and see how it treats you. I haven't hit either of the Burner drivers, so I can't really comment on them, but 2* closed should make a big difference. My driver is 1* open, and when I get tired sometimes I don't follow through completely and my fade ends up "fading" a little more than it should.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

Decisions....decisions.

My advice is to buy the regular driver and take two lessons. You'll come out in about the same $$$ as you do on the draw model and less than you would on the R9 460.

Slicing is a very, very, very easily fixed swing problem. A good teacher can stop you in one lesson. You'll get rid of the flying right elbow and the other issues that lead to the slice. They can show you drills to do on the range.

It is very easy to stop slicing.

Hooking is a different matter. They are subject to show up once or twice a round just so you don't get over confindent.....but I suspect you'd be thrilled to hit a hook or two right now.

Seriously....get to a pro....they can fix your slice with ease. Think of the enjoyment you'd get out of the game after that. Two lessons and a few range sessions in between. You will be amazed at the places you will soon be leaving your tee ball....you'll gain length and be in the fairway.

Good luck.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Decisions....decisions.

Good call man, I think Im going to do exactly that, take a lesson or two and figure out how to stop this slice! I think I now know what I am doing however, but thats a different thread... Thanks for the input!

Hamlet- 200 rounds a year?? Thats serious... Im lucky to get in 75 a year... I'd love to play that much golf! Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Someone here said that opening up your right had so you see the palm more helps in a slice (right hander) YIKES..I was told and been trying that seeing the tom of my right hand helps with the slice...

Which is the right way?

G 10 Irons 4-Pw
G 15 3 wood
07 Driver
19 deg Hybrid
Rosie C-130 UPRO

Note: This thread is 5379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!