IGNORED

2009 PGA Championship at Hazeltine

senorchipotle
Note: This thread is 5321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If I have to hear one more statement about what a coup this is for Asian people, I'm going to throw up. They say it like being Asian is some kind of ACTUAL obstacle to playing good golf. When the first one-armed person, or legally blind person wins a major, THEN give me the personal-interest story. Just because something hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean its happening constitutes history.

I agree 110%, Yang is former military so toughness is no issue for him. And if I remember Tiger is 50% Asian also.

Golf is a sporting competition of skill, where physical prowess does have some advantage more often than not. But plenty of Fat, Short, Unhealthy, Unatheltic guys have won majors also.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 110%, Yang is former military so toughness is no issue for him. And if I remember Tiger is 50% Asian also.

Tiger being half Asian is a whole different thing than Yang winning.

Nobody's saying him being Asian is an obstacle, it's just never been done. If that's not the definition of history, (something that's never been done), then WHAT IS? I guess Obama or Tiger are not history!

No one named Sylvester from Terre Haute has ever won a major, either, but should that be a big celebration for Sylvesters everywhere if it happens? Tiger's race is completely irrelevant to his resume, in my opinion. The election of Obama, to some degree, is different because it (potentially) indicated the acceptance of black people by the popular majority via an election. In that sense, his race was a possible barrier to his winning. We didn't elect Yang the winner. The only criteria was good golf. Does it really take an Asian winning for other Asian golfers to go, 'hey, he can do it, I can do it!'??

I just think it's all another example of what a lousy job we do, when we're supposedly trying to eliminate racial/cultural lines, but at every chance we get, we point them out ad nauseum. I mean, if I ever won, would they make some huge deal about my being from New Jersey?

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

No one named Sylvester from Terre Haute has ever won a major, either, but should that be a big celebration for Sylvesters everywhere if it happens? Tiger's race is completely irrelevant to his resume, in my opinion. The election of Obama, to some degree, is different because it (potentially) indicated the acceptance of black people by the popular majority via an election. In that sense, his race was a possible barrier to his winning. We didn't elect Yang the winner. The only criteria was good golf. Does it really take an Asian winning for other Asian golfers to go, 'hey, he can do it, I can do it!'??

Dude, what is your problem with letting Asians get some pride out of this? It's not every day an Asian wins a Major for God's sake. If the PGA tour gets to be like the LPGA, where Koreans dominate, THEN I see your point. But this is a first on the PGA tour and it should be noted.

I think you must have been watching something else, imho! The whole thing was very exciting, I thought.

I don't know, it was exciting in the sense that it was anyone's match starting the last round, and totally up in the air between Yang and Woods until the last hole, but I guess I find it kind of boring when nobody makes a significant move other than backwards. I guess it was the wind or something, but in the end what, Tiger gave up a couple strokes and Yang moved up 1? No question it was hard out there, but I guess I just like to see someone go on a tear in the final round to get into contention.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

just would like to say congrats to yang. I really like seeing the underdog win in any sport.

MacTec 460 Draw Driver
V-Foil M565 Irons
MT 3 Wood
GigaGolf 52deg gap wedge
Wilson 55deg sand wedge MT Don White 60deg Lob wedgeknockoff 2-ball putter

actually, tiger's ethnicity added a LOT to his resume. growing up, i was one of the only black kids aside from my cousin i knew that played golf. you do realize that in a lot of courses in the south, and all across the country for that matter did not allow blacks to play. they were caddies, bag boys, etc. the fact that tiger went to the bastion of wealthy, white, old southern, good ole boy society and beat their pants off by ten strokes most definitely does a lot for his resume.

apparently you've never been black and played at country clubs where the only people who look like you are parking cars and serving food, and looking at you as if you're some uncle tom for playing on the course which they work. or having old white men telling you to clean their clubs or shine their shoes when you're just as much a member as they are. as a kid, tiger gave me something, someone to relate to. something to aspire to. and because of tiger, there are so many kids who would not have otherwise picked up a club playing golf. as much as i hate the fact that skin color matters in the world, i'd be dishonest if i said it didn't.

Does it really take an Asian winning for other Asian golfers to go, 'hey, he can do it, I can do it!'??

Of course it does - its the same in every sport - when Boris Becker and Steffi Graf became successful in Tennis, the sport started booming in Germany. Same goes with Bernhard Langer winning a Major, which triggered a small boom in the golf industry.

Where do you think all the LPGA south korean gals all of a sudden come from - due to a south korean being successful on the LPGA in earlier years. But european culture by far is not so "idolized" like it is in Asia, so when we talk about "boom", just imagine what that looks like in Asia... And its not, as if this go unnoticed, the asian TV coverage already is HUGE compared to what we have in Europa or even in the US.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Well Tiger has too many muscles and frustration. He played horrible (for HIM!) and still finished well. If he could find peace and focus he would be so dominant it would be scary.

Congrats to YANG! He didn't waiver on hole 18, he played with no fear... awesome!

- Pat

41 yrs. old, 3rd year playing and learning!
In my beginner bag:
--------------------------Driver/3W/3H - Nike Sumo SQ4H - TaylorMade Rescue5 iron - PW 2008 Callaway BB w/iBridsLW/SW/GW - 2010 Cleveland CG15Putter - 2008 Taylormade Rossa Monte Carlo 7---------------------------

I always love it when (presumably) white males in America raise this question. As if we have absolutely any idea what it's like to not be part of a non-ruling, media dominated world. Nearly everything around us, from TV shows, to advertisements, to marketing to culture in general is directed towards white males. Read about "white male corporate oppression" and the white male patriarchy of the world. There are actually a lot of people who can create valid arguments as to how oppressive the world is to everyone that isn't a white male. Seriously, our culture has been dominated by pandering to white males for a pretty long time. So much most people don't even realize it or even know it. A lot has been written about this from various angles.

Anyways, him winning is a mile-marker for golfers from another region of the world. These people have something THEY can relate to. Because YOU can't relate to it, suddenly it's a "whats the big deal?!" thing. It shows other Asians (non-Americans in particular) that golf isn't just a white male corporate oppressor game. It's a game people that look like me can play too. You have to understand not every race, sex and nationality has the self esteem of white males from the USA. The entire world hasn't been directed towards them for their consumption and benefit. Inclusion feels good to people. So does not feeling like a second class person. It's hard for us white males to understand this.

Rory McIlroy.

In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

Anyone who can hit a shot like Yang's on 18 deserves to win...

Nice putt to finish!!!!!!

My sentiments exactly. Yang played his heart out over all 3 days to crawl into the final grouping. Follows that up with a final round that ties the lowest score of the day. Very very deserving and quite exciting as well! When that eagle-2 rolled in my jaw simply dropped. I'm not saying he'll ever reach Tiger-like consistency, but it was a great win for him and you could bet the farm that Korea is rockin the 'jeep' (lets see if anyone catches that one

)
If I have to hear one more statement about what a coup this is for Asian people, I'm going to throw up. They say it like being Asian is some kind of ACTUAL obstacle to playing good golf. When the first one-armed person, or legally blind person wins a major, THEN give me the personal-interest story. Just because something hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean its happening constitutes history....

No one named Sylvester from Terre Haute has ever won a major, either, but should that be a big celebration for Sylvesters everywhere if it happens? Tiger's race is completely irrelevant to his resume, in my opinion. The election of Obama, to some degree, is different because it (potentially) indicated the acceptance of black people by the popular majority via an election. In that sense, his race was a possible barrier to his winning. We didn't elect Yang the winner. The only criteria was good golf. Does it really take an Asian winning for other Asian golfers to go, 'hey, he can do it, I can do it!'??...

I don't know, it was exciting in the sense that it was anyone's match starting the last round, and totally up in the air between Yang and Woods until the last hole, but I guess I find it kind of boring when nobody makes a significant move other than backwards. I guess it was the wind or something, but in the end what, Tiger gave up a couple strokes and Yang moved up 1? No question it was hard out there, but I guess I just like to see someone go on a tear in the final round to get into contention.

I thought it was an exciting final round. 70 was the low score of the day and Yang shot it while everyone else was barfing all over the place. The man had nerves of steel and showed it. I wish him the best of luck in the future.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Rory McIlroy.

... also Martin Kaymer

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

It was great to see Yang play some great golf and not be bullied by Tiger down the straight. The hybrid he hit in to 18 made my day as he virtually stiffed it to 6 feet. To see Tiger's face when Yang drained it was a picture- Tiger tried to smile and be congratulatory but it was obviously difficult for him....I was thinking that he got what he deserved, as yo can't sleep walk your way to a major championship.

Seriously, I thought it was a great moment and it was an eye opener to see TW wilt in the heat of a final round. To see him play so tentatively and putt so poorly was surprising....a 75 in the final round was not what I was expecting. I had to laugh on 17 when he made bogey and covered his face to ennunciate a series of foul mouthed expletives.

Credit to Yang and I can see him contending again if he plays with such consistency and skill. I liked his interview afterwards when he said he can't wait to speak to all his friends on the internet!

Tiger got to watch himself (Yang) play the last nine in a major. TW has had people play him down to the wire in the past, but not catch and pass him like he wasn't there. Yang played Tiger like and it was clear that it threw Tiger off his game. Good for Yang and good for golf as it will be all the more interesting from now on.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

If I have to hear one more statement about what a coup this is for Asian people, I'm going to throw up. They say it like being Asian is some kind of ACTUAL obstacle to playing good golf.

Yeah. I wonder why it hasn't been an obstacle for the women. They dominate the LPGA. I guess we have that to look forward to with the men.

If Tiger plays like he did over the weekend, it may take sometime for him to over take Jack.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I thought it was a great tournament. Sunday was a tough day to play on that loooooong course and the stiff winds. Not surprising many faded. I thought Tiger played a good strategy. His putter just failed him. He was probably just reading too much break as many of those short putts he missed to the high side. Yang is a true champion. The man earned it all the way. Another great finish in a major tournament.

PrairieParson

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

Note: This thread is 5321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!