IGNORED

The Worst Person in the Golfing World

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 5358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hey world report has Durham, Nc at #4 and Raleigh, NC at #5 best cities to live !

great place to be, Durham has come a long way.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

It was the second hole after I played through. The first hole was a par 3, and I hit a bunker shot thin over the green as they reached the tee. I don't think they were pleased at making them wait, but those are the kind of shots a player of my ability makes when he's trying to rush through a hole.

It sounds like you played through on a crowded course. I can understand the group behind you being annoyed. I am not condoning hitting into someone but somtimes singles or twosomes feel it is their right to play through a foursome but if the foursome is keeping pace with the group ahead of them you jumping in front of them delayed their round 14 minutes (or the average time it takes you to play a hole).

We all wish we could play as quickly as we would like but that doesn't happen often even on the PGA tour. If you played through them you should never be in a position for them to either hit into you or wait for you after the fist hole. If they do the right thing and wait that means you are holding them up. Sorry for the rant but I hate when groups ask if they can play through when their is nowhere to go. What I have done in a similar situation is ask if I can join the foursome and make it a fivesome or just play two balls and practice.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

I played at a 9-hole par 3 course this Sunday and I learned a few things about etiquette that I didn't know. I'm in no way defending any players who knowingly and repeatedly breach the simplest rules of common courtesy or endanger others, but golf etiquette is not always so cut-and-dry and there is a learning period even for people who are not idiots.

The first thing I did wrong Sunday was not read the score card. I wasn't expecting there to be local rules on this par 9 that there were to be "no honors." Nor would I expect a rule stating that if a group was waiting to tee off behind you before you had holed out, you were required to motion to them and let them play through. This rule doesn't make practical sense as stated, but I see what they were getting at... Finally, marked clearly on the scorecard was "White stakes are OB."

So on the second hole I was outside the white stakes, but figured they may be for the adjacent course or set up as a warning that there might be other players on the other side of the trees. I looked both ways as if I were crossing the street, and saw no one in sight, so I was going to hit my ball back towards the green to save par. I didn't even see the ball, but my wife told me one went whizzing by me while I was playing. Still have no idea where it came from; it was my fault as I then saw `OB' marked on a post and ended up replaying the shot anyway.

There was a twosome behind us, who were playing at about the same pace as my wife and I, which means that on some holes they were at the tees while we were holing out, and at some other holes, we were moving to the next tees as they were holing out. It seemed odd that they were never talking or taking practice swings or shuffling around with their gear when I glanced back leaving the green; it was as if they were glaring at us.

I'm thinking now that this 9 hole was a "fast-play" course, and it was expected that we finish 9 par 3 holes in about an hour. All the signs (literally) I hadn't noticed before became apparent, including such favorites as "FAST GOLF IS FUN FOR EVERYONE" and the words SLOW PLAY jailed by the international "no" symbol. I now know that slow play is a relative term, and wouldn't have held up the twosome behind us if they were on the clock (we played 9 in about 75 minutes).

I guess the moral of the story is to read the signs in the clubhouse to understand the nature of a course you haven't played, and read the score card for local rules. And if somebody's doing something that upsets you or you want to play through, motion to them and say something politely because they may simply not know...
Still learning the game with:
HiBore XLS 10.5°
HiBore XLS 3W
Burner Rescue 4H 22°
CG7 4 - PWCG14 Black Pearl 52°, 56°, 60°White Hot 330 mallet

You and your father are like saints. I would have lost my temper long before......leaving them with a bad feeling for golfer-types.

We were in a tolerant mood, scoring well on a shortish but interesting 9 hole course. I think it was called Highland Lake, or something like that. The pro from the course introduced himself to the fatso as Happy Fox.

One of my favorite states, North Carolina, and I've visited all 50. Still, I wish I could imitate the voice, saying "Excuse me..." Plant the most blatantly stereotyped North Carolina accent on that, and it's still shy of actual. When he asked for a golf ball the first time I was fumbling through my bag, for one Titleist that says PRACTICE on the side.

Jack "The Hammer" Hamm is the worst person in golf. His driver and ball technology have ruined the game by making even the longest par 4's reachable from the tee and turning par 5's into pitch and putts. Now everyone can drive it 400 yards! Stupid "quadra-action" shaft...ruining the game!

hey world report has Durham, Nc at #4 and Raleigh, NC at #5 best cities to live !

I'm still trying to figure out why I moved from Raleigh to Detroit. Was my favorite place I've lived.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Three things:

"Nor would I expect a rule stating that if a group was waiting to tee off behind you before you had holed out, you were required to motion to them and let them play through. "

Probably not play through, probably just 'hit up'. You wave for them to take their tee shots, move out of the way, let them tee off, then finish up the hole and move on as they are walking/driving up.

There was a twosome behind us, who were playing at about the same pace as my wife and I, which means that on some holes they were at the tees while we were holing out, and at some other holes, we were moving to the next tees as they were holing out.

Your job is to keep pace with the people in front of you, not to try and measure the pace of the people behind you. Keep pace with the people in front and don't worry at all about the people in back. They can see if you are doing your job and if they aren't total jerks/morons, they won't press you so long as YOU are keeping up.

I'm thinking now that this 9 hole was a "fast-play" course, and it was expected that we finish 9 par 3 holes in about an hour. All the signs (literally) I hadn't noticed before became apparent, including such favorites as "FAST GOLF IS FUN FOR EVERYONE" and the words SLOW PLAY jailed by the international "no" symbol.

I see that on a LOT of courses! 9 short holes in 1 hour is 7 minutes a hole. That could be done if there was no waiting. It seems a little fast, though. Is that a rule or just a 'wish' by course management? Some holes will be faster, some slower, twosomes moving faster than foursomes, etc.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

You should have picked his ball up and threw it O.B.!

In my Slingshot Bag:

Driver Big Bertha 10.5

Woods 3 WoodHybrids Hybrid 3 Iron 20ºIrons CCi 4-AWWedge Custom Systems Wedge 56ºPutter Karsten B60

Would we still consider OJ Simpson a "person in the golfing world"? I was about to nominate fatsy from NC (the one who ran out of balls) as the worst person, but he apparently quit.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

To the guy who hit me with his drive when i was on the 4th green and he was on the 9th tee, you are the worst person in the golfing world.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

Would we still consider OJ Simpson a "person in the golfing world"? I was about to nominate fatsy from NC (the one who ran out of balls) as the worst person, but he apparently quit.

I used to see O.J. on the course frequently in Miami. He played Calusa for years, until the clubhouse was destroyed by a tornado during the early stages of Hurricane Katrina. That course closed for about 6 months and I never saw O.J. there again, nor on other courses in Southwest Miami.

O.J. never ran out of golf balls but damn he was loud in the Calusa restaurant, as if everyone needed to hear his opinion. Easily more annoying than fatsy last week. Plus it was awkward beyond description every time we made eye contact. He played with the same guys all the time, with the blonde Kristi often trailing in a separate cart.

Note: This thread is 5358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!