IGNORED

State Mid-am qualifier?

TN94z
Note: This thread is 5334 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The difference is feel vs reality. As long as you feel like you're swinging easy, then you tend to be more in control and on balance. Much easier to get the clubface square at impact in good timing that way. It really doesn't matter that you're swinging harder than you think.

I am not at all disagreeing with you. I just think that swing easy tip to be pretty bad for people who know how to play. You have to be able to go after it and hit it straight or you can not ever play competively. And that doesn't mean swing out of your shoes.

Brian

I am not at all disagreeing with you. I just think that swing easy tip to be pretty bad for people who know how to play. You have to be able to go after it and hit it straight or you can not ever play competively. And that doesn't mean swing out of your shoes.

I guess the word "tempo" would better describe it than swing easy. A good tempo can still have the "go after it" swing just more controlled.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I played over the weekend and my driver was just awful! I am making some kind of terrible move somewhere and can't for the life of me figure out where. Today is the deadline to sign up. Should I do it with my driver as bad as it is right now? I have another lesson this friday and the mid-am is not until the 23rd. Do you think the 2 weeks will give me enough time to figure out what is going on and fix it? Obviously there is no way to compete or have fun when I can't get off the tee box. Not to mention that when my woods are this bad, it really frustrates me and affects the rest of my play. My irons, that I normally hit consistent, start falling off as well. I don't want to make a fool of myself.

I noticed this weekend that I have started hitting down into the ball for some crazy reason. The reason I say this is because after my drive, my tees were pushed further into the ground (soft ground). I even topped 3 drives and I haven't done that in forever. I am in some crazy funk and I can't get out!

Bryan A

Do it man. You will regret it if you dont. Take a dang hybrid or wood off the tee if you have to. Maybe even a long iron. You can still score after a 200 yard drive, just gotta use longer scoring clubs.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Play. Dont try to fix anything at this stage. Besides, it seems like the issues with the game are mostly mental. Go in there with what you got and see what shakes loose.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

yep, get ur a$$ on the range and figure it out
dont play golf, just practice
I dont need to tell you how to practice, as I am sure you have a good routine

obviuosly you know how to play - everyone goes through this
2 weeks ago i was playing th best golf of my life - the past 4 rounds i havent broke 80 and i have no clue why (well i do, but refuse to acknowledge it! haha!)

sign up, and figure sh*t out - you will be fine bro, it will all "click" again soon
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I just came back from the range and man....it is so bad right now! I have never been in a situation with my swing, where I didn't have a clue what was wrong. I have done everything I can think of and nothing is working. The ball really has no consistency and that is why I can't figure it out. It's not like a slice every time or hook every time....I could figure that out. This is BY FAR the worst funk I have ever been in. And the thing is, I am still scoring descent at the course. At my new course (which is easier than my old one) if I was getting off the tee box like I used to, I would be at par or better every round. I mean I am going out now and shooting around 75-76 hitting my driver like crap. Now I couldn't do this at the site of the Mid-am. It's getting kind of ridiculous. I am so glad that I have a session coming up Friday with my teacher. Then I can get on camera and figure this crap out.

Bryan A

Isn't there a minimum handicap to play in the Mid-Am? Is there higher thresholds at the state and local levels? I know all the various tournaments have different cut-offs. Would it hurt you with your state Golf Assoc if you enter but then play poorly?

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I dont think anyone on this site is going to tell you to opt of out the tournament. Just meet with you coach and see if you can fix what ever it is...sounds mental to me though. Go out and have fun. If you dont win or bedazzle everyone, so what. Do it next year.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Isn't there a minimum handicap to play in the Mid-Am? Is there higher thresholds at the state and local levels? I know all the various tournaments have different cut-offs. Would it hurt you with your state Golf Assoc if you enter but then play poorly?

Yeah, you must be a 10 handicap or better. I don't know if it would hurt me or not, but in all honesty, I don't think I would play bad enough to warrant them telling me not to come back. I can see maybe a low 80 score at the worst.

I dont think anyone on this site is going to tell you to opt of out the tournament. Just meet with you coach and see if you can fix what ever it is...sounds mental to me though. Go out and have fun. If you dont win or bedazzle everyone, so what. Do it next year.

I know and that is not what I am looking for. Ultimately I will decide based on how I feel. I agree 150% with you that it is mental. I am hitting everything else way too good to think that my swing is that far off. I know my swing is off a little bit because I am going through these changes, but they shouldn't make it this bad.

Bryan A

For the guys that have played in these kinds of tournaments before I have a question. When I go down for my practice round, what kinds of things do I need to look for? I guess I should buy some kind of yardage book and make notes, right? What kinds of notes should I make? Where the best place to leave tee shots, breaks in greens, etc... Thanks for any help

Update: Well, I just registered. I figured that I may not be able to get my driver back to old form in 2 weeks, but I should be able to get it in good enough form to play in this tournament. If I have to, I will just let up on it a bit and make sure it gets in the fairway. That along with the fact that I am seeing my teacher this week, I feel confident that it will be okay. Now as long as nothing else falls apart between now and then, I should be okay. I just knew that I would be kicking myself if I skipped out on it. I also have our club championships starting this week, so it's going to be a busy couple of weeks.

Bryan A

Good news on my driver. I had another meeting with my teacher yesterday and from the video, I saw that I had started to roll my wrists on the takeaway instead if hinging them. This was making me come back WAY too flat which influences an over the top move for me. Now I am back to impact position. Whewww!!! I am so glad it was something that easy to fix. The bad news is that I was swinging like that for a week or two and it has thrown my swing path off. Now I have to fix that plus work on my impact position. My impact bad should do some good now.

Also, my teacher was pretty excited about me playing in the Mid-Am. He really encouaged me to play in as many of them as I can...if that's where I want to get to.

Bryan A

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I played the practice round today. It was the first time I had seen the course and man was it a monster!!! It was 7200 yards of slop! It has rained for about a week now. The course rating is 75.2/130 and I was hitting the ball terribly. The good news is that I should shoot better tomorrow. I shot a 90 today!! The 2 handicap I play with shot a 85, so I didn't feel too bad. It is just long. I have to admit that I was humbled. I had trouble getting to the 450+ par 4s in two. It is almost ridiculous. Anyway, the real round is tomorrow. I will be happy with an 82-85 the way I am playing right now.

Bryan A

It is by far the hardest course I have played. Although, I now know where to put the ball. The problem is my irons are not there and it is really making it tough. I had a terrible cut with my driver and I was pushing all of my irons which is very unusual for my irons. Today was the first day I have swung a club in a week and a half though, so maybe the rust will be worn off tomorrow. Everything was off today. My woods were cutting, my irons were pushed, and my putting was off. Just a bad day all around. Hopefully the course will dry out a little by tomorrow. I should be okay if my irons at least get back on track. I don't plan on qualifying but I would like to have a respectable round.

Bryan A

7200 yards? Thats a little overboard for an ametuer tourney..im sorry lol.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

7200 yards? Thats a little overboard for an ametuer tourney..im sorry lol.

No, it is over board. That is what everyone was talking about today. When I first signed up for the tourny it was at the blue tees which are like 6700 yards. Then they changed it for some reason. The State-Am qualifier in my city is only like 6600 yards. The scores there range from -2 under and up. Here I think if you shoot an 80 you will get a spot.

Bryan A

thats a big course dude
longest i have played is 6950

get your head positive and get get at er!!
GOOD LUCK and report back after your round
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Note: This thread is 5334 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!