kleraudio

Employment = Free Play??

43 posts / 12732 viewsLast Reply

Just wondering if you work at a golf course, do you generally get to play for free there??

If this is the case, I may take up a part time job at a course! I ask on here cuz that wouldn't be too professional to ask that before applying or talking to someone.

Jim

Usually employees get free golf, but often limited to times and obviously have no priority on preferred tee times.

I worked at two CCs in my youth. One allowed free golf - walking only. The other allowed free golf only on the public 18 holes, but carts were also free!

Usually employees get free golf, but often limited to times and obviously have no priority on preferred tee times.

Yeah....that's how it is around here. You get to play golf by only at certain times (days and/or hours)...

You should get free rounds, and you should get a decent discount on equipment, clothes, etc. as well. I've heard anywhere from 20% to 40% off. The percentage will probably very from place to place. I'm pretty sure that you'd be able to get decent tee times on your off days too. I say do it. It makes such a big difference when you love what you're doing or where you work. It makes it almost seem like it's not really work at all. Except for when one of the sprinklers bust, and you're ankle deep in a mud hole in the middle of the 6th fairway.

Just wondering if you work at a golf course, do you generally get to play for free there??

I'd ask if I were interviewing. "How about playing privileges?"

I'm lucky that my boss gives me free reign to the range and the course, so long as I'm not in the way of the members.

One of my old co-workers is retired, and took a one day a week part time job as a marshall on a really nice course. He gets free golf when space is available on the course. He gets free range balls, and can get guests on for a greatly reduced rate, or even comped depending on who is working that day. He doesn't get a huge discount in the proshop, however. Something like 20% off their ridiculously high marked up retail prices. I'm sure his free golf is worth way, way more than the value of the 8 hours a week he puts in.

Depends on the course and your job there. I work part time as a starter since I retired. I do

not get free golf. I do get reduced rates for golf, for cart rental, I get a nice discount (cost + 10%) for items bought in the shop, and I get free range balls. I am not limited in what tee times or days I can play. I'm paid a whole $7.50 per hour. Some courses do offer free golf, but they may pay less, or in some cases you get no pay, only free golf for your work. It varies a lot depending on the course.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

EE's play free at my course.

I don't think it'd be inappropriate to ask about playing privileges before applying. It is a perk and has some value. Depending on where you are working, it may be worth more than your actually being paid.

I'm a ranger at a very nice public golf course. I work only on Saturdays as it is not my career. I'm in the minority as I'm not a high school or college kid, and not retired!

Free golf including cart for me and a guest whenever there's a spot open.

Cost + 10% on equipment, clothes, gear, clubs, etc.

Half off food in the clubhouse.

Free range balls.

Where I worked it was free cart, range and rounds. My girlfriend is a member so she makes the tee times and we go play. I am able to take one guest for free as well.

When she isn't able to play we have to wait for an opening. Tee times were every 10 minutes.