IGNORED

"Blow up" holes.

Note: This thread is 6460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I always manage to have one hole where I "blow up" and thus end up shooting a 92/93. Usually a par 4 where a end up making a snowman. It really irritates me. Too bad we can't throw out the low and high score like figure skating..ugh

• Administrator
I always manage to have one hole where I "blow up" and thus end up shooting a 92/93. Usually a par 4 where a end up making a snowman. It really irritates me. Too bad we can't throw out the low and high score like figure skating..ugh

That's one of the keys to moving on to the next level (handicap): eliminating the bad holes. For a single digit handicapper, it's often eliminating double bogey altogether.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For handicap purposes, you should be using

ESC which doesn't throw a score out but does reduce your score. Just remember that in a tournament the high score stands

I know I'm on the cusp here..lol My game was like a bio-tech stock of the 90's..hot then cold. After I made my snowman I then was able to par the next 3 holes..you know what I mean..I'm on the cusp man..

I know I'm on the cusp here..lol My game was like a bio-tech stock of the 90's..hot then cold. After I made my snowman I then was able to par the next 3 holes..you know what I mean..I'm on the cusp man..

I know what you mean though, I've shot an 82 and been happy about it and I've shot the same number and been upset because it was a blow up hole or two that kept me from a lower score.

I feel your pain, since I'm a bit that way myself still. But, I'm finding that with time I'm blowing up less and less to the point where I can see this as becoming a rare event. You could go to the Stableford scoring sytem I suppose, but in a way that's a cop-out. It's better to work on eliminating the problem, which for me means taking my lumps and pitching out laterally from behind a tree or whatever and accepting a likely bogey (or double at worst) rather than going for the low-percentage recovery shot and blowing up like I did in my last round.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I have the same proble. Usually im good for two of those a round. Even though I use ESC when handicapping it still makes me mad. I tell myself just dont make a double, but I end up making a double or a triple throughout the round. I absolutely hate it. My 82 should usually be a 76 if it werent for a few three putts and a bad hole here or there. There really is no difference its just the guy who can eliminate the trouble and can putt real well. Ball striking is not an issue.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

finn, it sounds like you're letting the "dont get a double" thoughts keep you back in someways.

agreed, you have the game for a 76 if you can hit it around in 82 (thats a rhetorical "you")

but hey were all gonna make doubles and triples. heck, i played a tournment last year at the Magnolia Course in FL and took a 10 on the first hole (couldnt ESC it) and was still able to bring it in at 81.

I sorta went thro the same thing and to be honest, i find thinking "dont make a double/triple" takes you out of thinking in the present and playing one shot at a time.

Plus if you are thinking "ok.. well ive made a double now, there goes THAT 70s round..." you'll have taken yourself out of the round in someways and will stop grinding it out.

youd be surpised how just staying in the present and also "taking your medicine" can quickly make those doubles into "good bogeys"

(i know im preaching to the choir here, but hey its a good sermon)

bridgestone j33r 460 V2 75 Stiff
HiBore Fairway 15 V2 75 Stiff
hybrid HiBore19 S300
bridgestone j33b 3-PW S300
Vokey 52 GP Vokey 58 LWyes sophia Putter 33Titleist v1x - bridgestone B330Home Course: Bethpage

Question @ ESC --

Can I always adjust my scores after the round is over, regardless of where I play? My handicap is 23, and according to ESC I can't shoot worse than 8 on a hole. Does this apply only to my home course, or can I utilize ESC if I play another course as well?

Finally, do I need to hole out on every hole? The language also says "most likely score". What happens if I pick up after 8 strokes on a par 5 - can I just mark an eight and wait for the next hole?

Thanks.

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

• Administrator
Can I always adjust my scores after the round is over, regardless of where I play? My handicap is 23, and according to ESC I can't shoot worse than 8 on a hole. Does this apply only to my home course, or can I utilize ESC if I play another course as well?

It applies wherever you play. Not for betting or competition, of course - just when you post your score in the handicap computer.

Finally, do I need to hole out on every hole? The language also says "most likely score". What happens if I pick up after 8 strokes on a par 5 - can I just mark an eight and wait for the next hole?

Same answer: you have to hole out in stroke play tournaments. If it's a casual round or you're just playing for a handicap (or match play), you can pick up and take your 8.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For handicap purposes, you should be using

here is a trick question

I'm 2.9, so I can post double bogey. I play in a tournament and manage to get a stellar 10 on one hole ( Tin-Cup style ). Tournament scores have special weight in hcp system... if I post a score that is 4 strokes less than my actual tournament score - I'm "reversed sandbagger", if I don't use ESC... and it's tournament score... it won't really represent what I shoot in a "serious" competition. Oh what to do what to do (except for not scoring 10 ).

even tho its a tournament score, you may still post it to your handicap with the ESC "revised total" ..so the 10 would equal a 6 (if its a par 4 lets say)

crazy in someways given the weight the T scores get!

bridgestone j33r 460 V2 75 Stiff
HiBore Fairway 15 V2 75 Stiff
hybrid HiBore19 S300
bridgestone j33b 3-PW S300
Vokey 52 GP Vokey 58 LWyes sophia Putter 33Titleist v1x - bridgestone B330Home Course: Bethpage

If you want to break through to the next level of performance, count every stroke, play by the book and force youself to learn to grind till the end. After you play a few smart shots rather than "go for the glory" saves and you grind out a good score, you'll gain confidence and avoid the blow-up hole(s) enough times that will be easier to avoid the big number consistently.

Ray Floyd's book "Scoring" is a good read.

• Administrator
Ray Floyd's book "Scoring" is a good read.

Now what in the world does Raymond Floyd know about women? Seriously now, have you seen his wife?

Floyd did own a go go bar back in the 60s. Not strip bar as is sometimes reported So at least he hired some good lookers back in the day.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

If you want to break through to the next level of performance, count every stroke, play by the book and force youself to learn to grind till the end. After you play a few smart shots rather than "go for the glory" saves and you grind out a good score, you'll gain confidence and avoid the blow-up hole(s) enough times that will be easier to avoid the big number consistently.

Well said, and this is the mindset that I'm trying to get into at the moment. It's so hard to ignore the voice in your head that says things like, "but if you just pull off a little low draw around that tree and get onto the green, you'll make up for the hook that got you into this mess ....". I'm concentrating on my wedges in practice these days so that laying up and going for the up-and-down will seem more natural and positive.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

One of my playing companions just started playing about 18 months ago. He has really improved over the past year. He is now consistently breaking 100 and has been close to breaking 90 a couple of times. One thing I admire about him is that he never gives up. He also counts every stroke because, as he said, I want to know if I am improving.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

That's one of the keys to moving on to the next level (handicap): eliminating the bad holes. For a single digit handicapper, it's often eliminating double bogey altogether.

although i agree with you about eliminating blow up holes, its completely possible for someone to manage a good round even with one bad hole. in the past 10 rounds ive played, ive had a single double bogey or.. "blow up" hole in each, and one i even had a triple but i managed to score under 80 each time. i really think its just a matter of how you recover after a bad hole or even a bad shot for that matter. if you're mentally prepared to make mistakes then youre much better off. also, i think a way to prevent a total blow up hole is to be realistic after your tee shot. what i mean is, if you have a horrible first shot, focus more on saving par.. or even bogey instead of getting over-aggressive in an attempt to birdie the hole. it seems to work fine for me.

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

Note: This thread is 6460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!