IGNORED

Driving Range Blues... What the heck is going on!?

MaRx
Note: This thread is 6470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The title pretty much sums up my practice expirence!

I get to the range and suck it up.. I'm left I'm right, i'm topping balls, Chunking fatties, you name it... The ball rarily goes straight! Its soooo hard to want to go to the range, when this crap happens all the time!

Am I most likely battling a mental issue here!? I dont have a clue what goes wrong... I double/triple check my alignment, grip, and aim, which is pretty much gotten to be just natural on the course... I dont get it!?

Titleist 983K 8.5* Prolite V2 stiff
Callaway Hawk VFT 3 Stiff
Taylor Made 16 & 21* Raylors
TM oversised irons 3-sw Rifle stl shafts
Titleist Vokey spin milled 60*Titleist Vokey 52* Tour

The title pretty much sums up my practice expirence!

does your driving range have grass? or is it turf? i generally hit a lot better on the course than i do on the range just because the range i go to uses gurf mats. i'm sure its probably just a mental issue, for me atleast.

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

• Administrator
I get to the range and suck it up..

You failed to mention why you were at the range. You simply said "I get to the range." That's probably a big part of your problem right there.

Those without a destination in mind never arrive. Were you at the range to loosen up? To work on something? Were you going through your entire pre-shot routine?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's hard to tell what the matter really is, but here's one thing to try. Make the range smaller in your mind's eye. I usually try to aim at something (a flag or mound) or between two of the telephone polls holding the net at the end of the range. It could be that because you have all that space to hit into, your concentration is not the same as it is on the course and consequently you're spraying it all over. It's a stab in the dark, but weirder things have helped me in the past. Good luck!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dont have a clue what goes wrong... I double/triple check my alignment, grip, and aim, which is pretty much gotten to be just natural on the course... I dont get it!?

I think that's it right there- analyzing too much because you're not on the course. I try and play a simulated round at the range after warming up with some lazy 7 irons. I imagine a local course layout and play the holes in order. Almost never hit the same club twice in a row. First hole a par 5? Driver, 5I/7W, then a wedge. Next hole a shortish par 4? 3W then 8I. If you slice/hook or top one, don't re-tee, play the next shot as you would on the course. If you need to bend it around a tree at the corner, try and do it. It's a lot more fun and less tiring than beating a driver into submission until blisters form. If you have a buddy who knows the course, you can play a match. Many ranges have mini golf so you can settle the putting that way!

sounds to me like your overthinking, you need to line up properly and trust your swing, and just let it happen,

I'd have to agree with the consensus on this issue. I always found that trying to work on more than one problem always led to multiple issues by the end of the practice session. Try going to the range and throwing a club down to make sure you're aimed at the target, but other than that make sure you just relax and clear your head. I know that sounds simple and "too" easy, but sometimes getting back to basics can really be the best cure issues. If that doesn't work, then I suggest you get with a PGA professional and let him help you look. I'm a 4 handicap and still have my swing coach for the last seven help me from time to time now. Another set of eyes is never a bad thing. Good Luck!

Jonathan Wall

In the Bag (Left Handed):
Driver: Callaway Fusion Tour FT-3, Aldila NVS 75X (Stiff)
3-wood: Titleist 975F 13.5°, UST Proforce 75X (Stiff)Irons (3-PW): Titleist 731PM, True Temper S300 (Stiff)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Raw Milled Steel, 52.08, 56.08, 60.06, Rifle 6.0 Shafts (Stiff)Pu...

I think that's it right there- analyzing too much because you're not on the course. I try and play a simulated round at the range after warming up with some lazy 7 irons. I imagine a local course layout and play the holes in order. Almost never hit the same club twice in a row. First hole a par 5? Driver, 5I/7W, then a wedge. Next hole a shortish par 4? 3W then 8I. If you slice/hook or top one, don't re-tee, play the next shot as you would on the course. If you need to bend it around a tree at the corner, try and do it. It's a lot more fun and less tiring than beating a driver into submission until blisters form. If you have a buddy who knows the course, you can play a match. Many ranges have mini golf so you can settle the putting that way!

I do this also, otherwise I just end up flying through a bucket w/o really solving any problems (and probably engraining a few new ones). I tee off with a 5 wood at the first hole of my local course so anytime I get a new bucket my first swing is a 5 wood. Then I loosen up with some 7/8/9 Irons (which would be my second shot), then go through the rest of the holes.

Note: This thread is 6470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!