IGNORED

What percentage of your "golf" time is practice?

Note: This thread is 6470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What percentage of golf time is practising?

• > 75% - I work, eat and sleep there
    • 50%-75% - Love working on my game
    • 25%-50% - Only when there's a tournament
    • < 25% - I practice on the course

Hard to say exactly. I sometimes play 36-54 holes on a weekend, so the practice time percentage varies.

I am at the range 3-4 times a week for 1-2 hours each visit.

i usually am able to practice an hour or two each day and then have high school or junior matches once or twice a week. so i put 25-50%

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

I answered 50-75%. I'm a relatively new player and still experimenting with my game, so I tend to work on my technique a lot on the range and to go to the course when I feel that I've made a change that I want to test out. I also recently discovered the value of practicing on the course whenever possible. Around here (San Diego), people are such woozes, threatening rain kills all thought of golf for many so that's the best time for me to get on the course solo and play two or three balls. I enjoy practicing more than I used to, since I've learned to always set up a target width in the far distance (between this tree and that house or whatever) and keep score on hits/misses. This keeps you focused and result-oriented. For wedge play, I just go to a local park and place target nets at known distances.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Club championships are coming up in about a month and I intend winning so I have been practicing hard for the past couple of weeks. At the moment I am getting up early and riding my bike to the course (about 5k's away) and practicing for a few hours, we have a few areas available to use if you bring your own balls. Generally I will hit mid and short irons for an hour and then hit pitch shots for an hour and then head home for a shower, I'm home and ready to work by 9am, I work from home which helps!

Then I'll work all day and ride up to the course in the afternoon at about 4pm for a few hours of chipping and putting, then it's home to the family, have some dinner, watch some tv and play with the kids and then do about 3 hours more work before going to bed. Then I get up and repeat the cycle. On Fridays and Saturday I play 18 holes, and I am trying to fit in another 18 holes on a Tuesday or Wednesday as well.

Once the club championships are over, it'll be back to my usual routine of hitting balls and working on my short game/putting one or two mornings a week and playing Saturday and once midweek. I'd really like to do the practice every day thing all year round, but it's a drain on my family life and the wife won't put up with it and nor should she have to either. It'd be nice to do for a few years solid though, just to see how well I could actually play.

I'd really like to do the practice every day thing all year round, but it's a drain on my family life and the wife won't put up with it and nor should she have to either.

Blimey, mate, I'd say your dear wife is putting up with a lot already

. I do admire your energy and enthusiasm. As one who has taken up the game later in life, I share the latter but can't quite match you in the former. It's enough already that I carry the bag from the parking lot to the driving range.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

being a club fitter I send allot of time on the range to say the least.. however we have a nice range with those new soft mates that feel like striking the ball off the fairway.. even though Im working there I always have my clubs with me so I can pratice myself.. And my boss thought that I send all that time with the customers.. right....

see I have a high handicap because of my putting.. my long game well I really dont have a problem hitting the ball 280 or 290 (meters) with my driver but when I get on the green in 2 on a par 5 then 3 or 4 putt oh god that drives me crazy...

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

I'd say that I practice quite a bit, usually around the greens just dropping balls from different lies and places and trying to get them all up and down.

I probably spend 1 hour at the range for every 20 rounds played.
the range has never been a successful training aide for me.
Helped when I first started playing. Now the situations I find on the course never seem to match what I might practice.
Ex: where do you find the bare downhill lies to practice your chipping from???
When I do go to the range I like to re-calculate the distance my irons are carrying. Ex: which club is carrying 160 yds??? 9 iron 8 iron 7 iron ??
Are my clubs gaining or losing distance ????
I also re-check my ball position at set-up.
I have a tendency to get the ball too close to me.
Occasionally I might experiment changing from interlock to overlap grip.
After about a half bucket the new grip feels normal.

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

I am starting a training and practise regime, helped by my new coach - Davyn Nola - 5th place in the 2003 Remax World Long Drive Champs - he knows so much about the full swing it's just not funny.

I have started working out each morning at home - rowing machine for 20 mins with heart rate up, 60 sit ups, 30 press ups, followed by 15 minutes of stretching.

Am getting some free weights as well to use.

I also go to the range 2 times a week to practise the things my Davyn has been instructing me with.

Will report back how it's going.
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

Note: This thread is 6470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!