IGNORED

What percentage of your "golf" time is practice?

Note: This thread is 6470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What percentage of golf time is practising?

• > 75% - I work, eat and sleep there
    • 50%-75% - Love working on my game
    • 25%-50% - Only when there's a tournament
    • < 25% - I practice on the course

I'm just wondering how much we all dedicate our time to practicing in a normal week...and warming up before rounds doesn't count.

I probably spend about 50%, maybe a bit more, of my time on the range or putting. I normally get at least a good 4-5 hours a week in practice and don't play more than once a week. It's a bit more cost effective and it keeps my game as sharp as it needs to be...

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting question! It made me realize that while I think I practice quite a bit and should be improving, I'm really only specifically practicing around a quarter of the time. I should probably improve that. Actually I'm probably a little above 25% counting putting in my basement, but I'd like to practice more.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

• Administrator

I don't particularly agree with the premise that "practice == range". I practice quite a bit on the course, and that means a lot of things. I love working on my game, too... I just do it on the course. Sometimes I take three or four balls out and try to hit the same kinds of shots repeatedly. Sometimes I want to work on drawing the ball. Or hitting the ball lower. Or whatever.

My putting gets a lot of practice. My course lacks a short game area, so my pitching and chipping is rarely practiced (on the course is the only place I can do it).

Frankly, I don't enjoy hitting balls on the range very much, and unlike Dave, I don't live 5 minutes from a decent range (at his course). If I drive 50-60 minutes round trip, I'd rather it not be for an hour on thet range. I don't like range balls (they alone make it tougher to determine whether you're hitting the ball lower, higher, etc. or whether the range ball is simply behaving differently than your own), I don't like my course's limited selection of targets, and I don't like our lack of a short game practice area.

If I ever get a lesson, I'm sure I'll work hard to ingrain whatever I've been taught, but until then, my swing remains a slowly evolving thing with small changes month to month, ideally in the proper direction.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I am lucky I have a decent range with both putting and chipping greens, and a variety of lies possible. Sand bunker is poor, only negative. I also sneak out late in the evening for 3-6 holes when I can. I find these times probably the most valuable practice of all. They make the transition from learning a skill or shot to the course possible. Otherwise I tend to fall back to old swing tendencies or lack the confidence to use new shots / skills where they will help me in a round where I am trying to post a score. Since I am known, sometimes they just wave me on without paying, yes.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I normally spend less than 25% of my golfing time practicing on the "range".

I usually hit about half a bucket of balls on the range working my way up from the wedges to the driver before I play. I hit the odd numbers one time and the evens the next. I take the other half bucket and go to the chipping area. I normally hit 25% of them from each of 3 different locations and put the other 25% in the bunker.

I just decided yesterday that I was going to spend a little time on the chipping area before I play, but only hit a few balls at the range just to warm up. I am gonna start doing like the pros and go to the range AFTER I play to work on any errant shots I might have had during the round. I just think this change might help me.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I work at a course part-time and like Erik probably spend the most of my time practicing out on the course. Sometimes I'll carry only my wedges and practice shots from 100 yds and in. Sometimes I'm just carrying my mid irons.

I usually drive to another range at night because it's a lighted range and I can see the ball better then. There I will practice my woods and long irons.

Wedges and putting is split between my backyard and the course.

I'm just wondering how much we all dedicate our time to practicing in a normal week...and warming up before rounds doesn't count.

NCGolfer,

If I am working on a swing change, it's hit till the hands bleed. However, my practice techiniques changed drastically after attending a Vision54 lecture. I'm able to practice and warm up much more efficiently and have started simulating on course conditions while on the range. Although I haven't read it yet, many friends and customers have told me that they obtained the same information as my lecture in the book, "Every Shot Must Have a Purpose."

I've got a full work week, plus I probably spend more time commuting than most (average 3-4 hours a day in my car in DC Metro/Northern Virginia traffic). So when I do get the chance, I play on the course, and maybe work on things when I'm out there. On average, I try get out to play three to four times a month. I've hit the range four times this year.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

haha, i'm the only one to put >75%. im always at the range. i go to the range before every round and 3-4 times a week otherwise. i like the environment, and the older players are always very friendly and they give me the balls their bodies cant stand to hit :]

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

I practice my short game a lot, especially wedge shots (just got a new lob wedge http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2596 )

I'm not a big fan of the driving range, because the feed back is not great. If I want to try out a driver, I shoot the range.
70% practice pitching and putting. About 15 % long iron and the rest the driver. However, I do a lot of dry swings in front of the mirror- and not because I'm vain.

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

Going to start getting to the range more often - Actually working out a deal to get work to pay for it hopefully.

Right now I said less than 25%, and with the progress I'd like to make - I think I want to ramp that up a bit.

3-PW: PowerBilt Grandslam Cavity - OLD (14 yrs maybe.)
SW: Cleavland Clone 56
5w: PowerBilt Grandslam oversized
Putter : PGA ping style

I voted 25-50%. I usually play once per week (except for the last two weeks when its been slightly tropical here). I usually try to putt several times/week in my basement and also try to find a range with a chipping area or bunker to practice. I don't hit many balls at the range anymore (mostly wedges when I do go).

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Didn't vote, as none of the options fits.

I do go to the range, there are 2 within 10 minutes drive from here. My club has 2 excellent grass driving ranges where you can use your own balls, and it also has a really good short game green as well. The downside is that the club is a 40 minute drive - it'll be great in the summer as I'll be able to go after work to practise.

When I do go to the range I try to concentrate on only one or 2 things at a time.

ie Last week I worked on my mid-irons, and this week I'll have a rest, and next week I'll work on mi-irons one day, and short game another day - I try to make it to the range twice a week.
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

I go to the range maybe once a week, and play golf about three times a week, however when I play golf I dont have the liberty to practice, although I wish I did. I can honestly say that whatever Im doing I need to change my routine because I havent made the improvement that I thought I would this year by this time of the year.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

However, my practice techiniques changed drastically after attending a Vision54 lecture.

My game could use a good lecturing right now. Especially with my driver.

I looked the Vision54 stuff up...it's interesting. It seems like they are taking the Rotella mantra and applying it directly into every aspect of the game.
Although I haven't read it yet, many friends and customers have told me that they obtained the same information as my lecture in the book, "Every Shot Must Have a Purpose."

I might have to get it. It is only 11 or 12 bucks used on Amazon.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

...and the older players are always very friendly and they give me the balls their bodies cant stand to hit :]

smartass

but I see your point. One or two bucket on the range leaves me sore for the next three days I used to be on the range every day, but it got too expensive (and painfull ). Now if I make it once a week I'm happy, but 3 - 4 rounds every weekend give me more than enough practice

• Administrator
I might have to get it. It is only 11 or 12 bucks used on Amazon.

Don't bother. I'll gladly give away my copy. Ick.

The book is like Rotella for those with an IQ below 130.

The one thing I did find of value was one of the practice drills (and the scoring system that went along with it). They have another drill you can do on the course whereby hitting the fairway, hitting the green, making a putt over 10 feet, getting up and down, etc. all give you points, too, which is supposed to help make you focus on every shot. But I tend to use a different points system - it's called score - and that makes me concentrate on every shot just fine.

Most of the rest of the stuff, honestly, is recycled Rotella stuff. The trick to having a good mental game is DOING it, not figuring out how to do it. Even the Rotella stuff is really simple... you just have to DO it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My self I practice more than I play right now because it's easier to set aside practice time than playing time.

With a new addition to the family, I'm finding the same thing as well. I can sneak away for an hour or so easier than four or so...

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Note: This thread is 6470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!