IGNORED

where do you keep your sticks?

Note: This thread is 6483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As the temps have climbed into the triple digits here in Richmond, I was wondering where everyone kept their sticks. Personally, I usually keep my bag in the trunk along with a change of clothes and my shoes so I can seize the oppurtunity as needed. Am I doing damage to my clubs by keeping them in the heat for such a prolonged period of time?

In the bag:
Driver: Taylor Made 10.5* R7 460
3 Wood: Taylor Made RD580
Hybrid: Taylor Made Dual Rescue 2
Irons: Cleveland VAS+ 4-PWWedges: Cleveland RT 588 56, 60 and 64 degree gunmetal finishPutter: Ping Doc 17Ball: Titleist NXT/NXT Tour

I've always been told to never keep the clubs in the car. Temps during the day, while a car is sitting there baking in the sun, can easily reach 100+ degrees and that increase in heat can do strange things to the composition of a graphite shaft or glue used to hold the clubhead in place. I think it's ok to leave the clubs in the car while you're at work during the day if you're planning on playing that afternoon, but if you're not going to be playing, I'd leave them in the garage at home, or an indoor closet or something. My clubs typically stay in the garage, but if I had a convenient closet in my house, they'd be stored in there.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

I live in AZ and during the summer I never leave my bag in the car. When it's 110+ outside it can quickly get to 140+ inside a truck. One day may not hurt but over time it will break down your grips and sometimes the epoxy

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As the temps have climbed into the triple digits here in Richmond, I was wondering where everyone kept their sticks. Personally, I usually keep my bag in the trunk along with a change of clothes and my shoes so I can seize the oppurtunity as needed. Am I doing damage to my clubs by keeping them in the heat for such a prolonged period of time?

RVAduffer,

Keeping your clubs in your trunk is an extremely bad idea. Although it's not going to get hot enough to melt epoxy as some might think, there are several bad things which can happen. Your metal woods, may be weighted with rat glue or hotmelt. It doesn't take much more than a hot car trunk to make it melt enough so it can relocate to a different part of the head. That can effect center of gravity or lead to rattles. Your grips are likely made of rubber. With high heat, rubber can dry, crack, and that reduces the life of the grip and it's effectiveness. Keeping your clubs in your car trunk is a bad idea. I never do it unless it's absolutley necessary.

I usually keep mine in the garage, i used to keep them in a closet but my mom got mad when she was always sweeping up blades of grass and such. I try to keep them as room temperature-ish as possible.

Equipment
Driver: Titleist 983k 8.5 speeder stiff
5 wood: Taylormade r540xd
Irons: Cleveland TA-7, 3-PW
Wedges:Titleist Vokey Oil Can SM 54,60*Putter: Odyssey 3300 DFX bladeBall:Titleist ProV1

I have gotten better about this. I never keep my sticks in my vehicle unless I am playing that day. I used to keep my clubs in my garage. My garage isn't climate controled like the rest of my home, something I regret not doing when the house was built. Obviously it doesn't freeze or get up to 140.o out there, but it is still hot this time of year. I keep both sets, along w/ my Scotty Cameron putter collection, in my basement. It is finished and I have a nice office down there where I keep my stuff. I have a Par Aid club and ball washer right outside the basement patio door so I wash them up and keep them inside, 73.o all year long. The reason I decided to do this is becasue the humidity where I live was begining to damage my putters. I just bought a new Circa 62 No.1 and I wipe it down every time I use it. I started to notice VERY TINY, pin hole sized rust spots on the sole of the club after just a few weeks of use, even though I oil it after every round. I called the Custom Shop and they told me how to get rid of the rust problem and to always store my clubs in a climate controled area. Your wives might not like you keeping the clubs in the house, but it's better than ruining thousands of dollars worth of equipment. Lesson learned.

In My Bags(s)... Main Set & Back Up Set

Driver: Rapture V2 9.o / G15 9.o (Stiff)
3 Wood: G15 15.5 / G10 15.o (Stiff)
5 Wood: G15 18.5 / G10 18.o (Stiff)Hybrid: G15 20.o / G10 21.o (Stiff)Irons & Wedges (4-L): Eye 2 +no+ / Eye 2 BeCu (Blue Dot / Stiff)Extra Wedge: 60.4 Satin Nickel Spin...

I called the Custom Shop and they told me how to get rid of the rust problem and to always store my clubs in a climate controled area.

Not to get off on a tangent, but how did you get rid of the rust problem?

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

I keep my clubs either in my home or a designated locker area at the country club to which I belong. I would think that leaving clubs in the trunk of a car in extreme conditions couldn't be beneficial to them.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

They were VERY careful to tell me that anything like Navel Jelly would dull the finish of the Gun Metal Blue. They said to take 3 in 1 oil and lightly buff out the rust. Keep in mind that this only works on light surface rust, not deeper rusting. I oiled the sole (face and sides are still perfect) w/ 3 in 1 oil, took a VERY SOFT Dremel buffing attachment, and buffed the oiled surface VERY SOFTLY and LIGHTLY, for just a few seconds. The rust is gone. The finish dulled JUST A TINY BIT, but after hand buffing it w/ the same oil and a Cameron Putter Cloth for several minutes it brought the shine back to ALMOST being perfect. I can tell where it was buffed because I did it, but I asked my wife to look at it and she can not tell at all. Either way, it is much better than rust slowly eating away at my putter's finish. Just be VERY careful. Gun Blue, Oil Can, Black Oxide finishes are VERY delicate. Pro Platinum and Stainless are much more durable and could probably be buffed a little harder than the softer finishes, I am guessing. Also, and I did not know this... they told me not only should you store your clubs in a climate controled room, but to also NEVER store your putters w/ the head covers on. Only use them while they are in your bag and on the ecourse. When you get home, take your putter cover off, wipe the putter down w/ 3 in 1 oil, and store it by it's self w/ out the cover (on carpet, a towel, etc.). The headcovers collect moisture and can further cause rusting and discoloration. Again, probably only on more delicate finishes. Who knew?

5 Wood: G15 18.5 / G10 18.o (Stiff)Hybrid: G15 20.o / G10 21.o (Stiff)Irons & Wedges (4-L): Eye 2 +no+ / Eye 2 BeCu (Blue Dot / Stiff)Extra Wedge: 60.4 Satin Nickel Spin...

They were VERY careful to tell me that anything like Navel Jelly would dull the finish of the Gun Metal Blue. They said to take 3 in 1 oil and lightly buff out the rust. Keep in mind that this only works on light surface rust, not deeper rusting. I oiled the sole (face and sides are still perfect) w/ 3 in 1 oil, took a VERY SOFT Dremel buffing attachment, and buffed the oiled surface VERY SOFTLY and LIGHTLY, for just a few seconds. The rust is gone. The finish dulled JUST A TINY BIT, but after hand buffing it w/ the same oil and a Cameron Putter Cloth for several minutes it brought the shine back to ALMOST being perfect. I can tell where it was buffed because I did it, but I asked my wife to look at it and she can not tell at all. Either way, it is much better than rust slowly eating away at my putter's finish. Just be VERY careful. Gun Blue, Oil Can, Black Oxide finishes are VERY delicate. Pro Platinum and Stainless are much more durable and could probably be buffed a little harder than the softer finishes, I am guessing. Also, and I did not know this... they told me not only should you store your clubs in a climate controled room, but to also NEVER store your putters w/ the head covers on. Only use them while they are in your bag and on the ecourse. When you get home, take your putter cover off, wipe the putter down w/ 3 in 1 oil, and store it by it's self w/ out the cover (on carpet, a towel, etc.). The headcovers collect moisture and can further cause rusting and discoloration. Again, probably only on more delicate finishes. Who knew?

I just picked up an old Studio Design 1 (Gun Blue) that's got some rusting. That's a helluva regimen though... I'm thinking I'm going to just send it in and get it Pro Plat'd by the studio...

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

Probably a good idea. I have a Studio Design 2 and this Circa 62 No.1 in the Gun Blue and WOW, are they delicate. I will keep them in my "Cameron Collection", if you can call 10 putters a collection, but doubt if they will ever leave my basement. Kind of sad that I have these beautiful putters and are too scared to use them. If I ever get them refinished, I too would go w/ the Pro Plat. I have a Coronado and a Bulls Eye Heavy Flange that are finished in it and they really look sharp. I also don't feel like I need to wipe them down every couple of days either.

Mine live in the laundry room right next to the utility sink, where they are washed after every round; that's as much a part of the game as my pre-shout routine. Same temperature as the house, that being said, I've never had any problems with grips breaking down or glue separating. Longest my clubs stay in the car is similar to others, a 9 hour workday, waiting to be let out after leaving the salt mine...
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

• Administrator
I've always been told to never keep the clubs in the car. Temps during the day, while a car is sitting there baking in the sun, can easily reach 100+ degrees and that increase in heat can do strange things to the composition of a graphite shaft or glue used to hold the clubhead in place.

Yeah. Mine stay in my car... but my car stays in the garage. The hottest it gets in there is 78. Or that's how hot it got today... Usually it's more like 60 or 70 in the garage.

Of course, the other 50 clubs I have are in my basement or my office, where it's cool and dry.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Mine hang out in the garage from April to November then hibernate in the basement over winter. I keep them in the trunk during business trips but if it's too hot, I will store them in my hotel room.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

In my trunk. Like Batman, I have to be ready to go on a moments notice. Whenever the mood or opportunity strikes me, I want to be able to hit the course.

Probably not a good idea to keep them there all the time, becasue they could get stolen.

Mine stay in my trunk as well. I tend to have impromptu trips to the course and/or range. Most of the time when I hit the range it's on the way home from work and unplanned. I'm a little surprised at the responses here (and impressed by how much you guys care about your sticks). Not only do I keep my sticks in my trunk, all of my friends do as well.

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Flatter Stick......:  odyssey.gif 2-ball putter
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

Very good advice.......hold on while I go get mine out of the back of my Sport Track.

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

Note: This thread is 6483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!