IGNORED

Re-gripping my irons. Questions

1chaos52
Note: This thread is 5333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the tips section or not, but hopefully this is the right place.

Have been playing for a long time and have had my ups and downs. Did not play much this season due to a combination of work and some physical issues, but got ina couple of round over the last few weeks. I have been working on things just swinging in the back yard to make sure my body could handle playing, and worked most specifically on my grip. My first round out after 2 months of not playing was great (for me). Played 9 holes and shot 5 over par.

My biggest issue is with my hands. I have some nerve damage in my left hand and arthritis in both (at 33 years old, I am falling apart). My tendency when I hit poorly is to hit a hook that varies from moderate to severe. My first round I think I hit one hook, the rest were pretty much dead straight and I felt good trhoughout and after the round. The second, I could feel the normal issues in my hands at work and could tell that I was death-gripping the clubs but my hands would not allow me to let up at all. I hit a ton of hooks all day and shot a horrible round, one of my worst ever.

Anyway, It is time to regrip my clubs. I have made a decision on what I like for feel, but not on the size as I have not had a chance to swing. I am going to get the Avon Chamois grips, but am not sure whether to go with regular size or jumbo. They do not have a mid-size. I do not have big hands, but am wondering if the jumbos might help my game a little bit. I am considering ordering one of each and trying each one on say my 8 and 9 irons and think I will go that route.

Anyway, I guess my question is more if other people with smaller hands have tried jumbo grips and been successful? I know this is usually based on hand size, but I would think it is more on what you are comfortable with. Are there any other grip recommendations or other things to try?

Thanks.

I think comfort is key. I think I remember hearing years back that changing your grip size can have an impact on your swing (maybe larger grips might promote less wrist action or something?) but I've never tested it personally. I have gotten so used to standard size grips that even midsize feel too strange for me.

But I really like your idea about the 8i and 9i, I've always been a fan of testing ideas on your own rather than just going by word of mouth. You never know how a club/grip/loft/stance/whatever will affect you until you try it, and I'd say that one extra grip to experiment on is totally worth the $5-10 if it will result in your comfort and being able to play more of this awesome game! good luck!

Driver: R7 Superquad, 9.5*, Proforce UST V2 Stiff
3-W: 300-series, 15*, steel shaft
Irons: TP MB Smoke 3-PW (just got em!)
Old irons: rac MB 3-PW (might be selling soon?)
Wedges: CG-12 Gunmetal, 52*, 56* & 60*Putter: Studio Select Newport, 15g weights, 34", etcBag: Hoofer Lite (sun-faded...

I think comfort is key. I think I remember hearing years back that changing your grip size can have an impact on your swing (maybe larger grips might promote less wrist action or something?) but I've never tested it personally. I have gotten so used to standard size grips that even midsize feel too strange for me.

You are correct in that grip size will affect the wrists. I have experienced this first hand with a driver that I bought used. It had a jumbo grip on it and I couldn't turn the ball over to save my life.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will probably end up doing what you are planning OP. I might do my seven iron with a mid-size grip to see if I prefer that size grip. My friend just got jumbo grips on all his clubs and he loves it. I would say he has average sized hands as well. I think it all depends on what feels comfortable to you.

10.5* Adams Super Fast 10
17*, 21* Adams Black Super Hybrid
X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

Can you guys not go to a simulator or something and try some clubs out that already have jumbo grips? Just a thought...it may still be cheaper and better to do it the way you are talking about.

Bryan A

Not sure where around here I would find a simulator. I live in NH and a lot of the golf shops I know of got hit hard by the current economic woes.

Not being able to turn it over might be a good thing in my case with the nast hook I have been hitting. I figure I can spend a few buck on 2 grips, try them both, then make my decision from there. I will be doing the work myself and already have the tape and solvent, so won't cost much. The grips themselves I have been able to find pretty cheap so not concerned financially.

The reason I am thinking 8 and 9 iron is because there is a cheap executive course near me I could play and use those two irons extensively. If i don't like either, I might even go and get a midsize of another brand and see if that works, but think I might as well try the two ends and see where that leads.

My main concern is just being able to play. I know I will never be great at the game, but when it hurts this bad and I hook that bad because I cannot control the grip pressure, it just isn't enjoyable. I want to be able to enjoy the game again even if I am shooting a bit over par.

Not sure where around here I would find a simulator. I live in NH and a lot of the golf shops I know of got hit hard by the current economic woes.

Yeah, that sounds like the thing to do in your situation. I mean you can't beat the course when it comes to testing anything anyway. Let us know how it turns out

Bryan A

1chaos52 ,

The equipment companies make grips specifically for people with arthritis, or stiffness in their hands. Go to a goood-quality golf shop and ask them what they have available.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 5333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!