IGNORED

Burner 2009 irons?

Note: This thread is 5301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I did my fitting today and absolutely smoked the burner 09 irons... I realize that the lofts are a lot stronger than normal clubs and that is why, but the irons felt really nice....

He recommended those clubs to me along with other clubs as well....

My swing is nice he said and I plan on taking lessons all next year, he did recommend the MP57 as well as the AP2 and X22 tour irons to me as well....

So my question is how does the Tour burner iron compare to the regular burner irons? Is the head the same, besides the less offset and less loft??

I liked the feel of them with flush impact, but I want more of a players cavity because when I improve I dont want to get new irons...

Thanks guys!

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

Jim,

Try going on TGW.com and select the irons you like.

Just above the lower box that has the reviews/ratings, specs, etc you will see an underlined shortcut for : product tour

Click on that an you will see various pics of the clubs from many angles. I find this helpful in seeing the "at address" view.

Hope this helps.

Just out of curiousity....have you ruled out the 07 model Burners and TP Burners? They can be had for a steal right now. One of the guys I play routinely with games them. He's picked up some serious distance (a concern of his...in his mid 50's) and maintained a nice high trajectory with each stick. For instance, his current 07 Burner six iron is flying just as high as his older six iron but a bit longer than is older 5 iron. He is in lust with these sticks.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Thanks a lot dub! I have not ruled out anything as of yet. Didnt even know they made 07 burner irons!

I just wanna know the difference in Tour vs. regular...

The tour's arent forged are they? I have specs now for my swing that I'd like to adhere to.

Also, are the tour's as forgiving as the regular, and is the offset that much different? I dont want to get that much offset, as Im trying to work the ball more and more...

Also is the center of gravity a little more raised on the tours? I'd like that so I can change traj when needed to as well??

Thanks for the link, Im gonna check it out for a bit now!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

[QUOTE=kleraudio;375841]Thanks a lot dub! I have not ruled out anything as of yet. Didnt even know they made 07 burner irons!

I just wanna know the difference in Tour vs. regular...
The Taylormade iron lines over the past few seasons look like this:

2007: R7
2008: Tour Burner
2009: 09 Burner

There are also some variations such as the R7 cgb max and tour preferred versions as well....go to the taylormade website for the specs on all the lines.

I have done a ton of research and will be buying the 09 Burners next season when the price drops.....I wouldn't worry about getting a "players iron". Get a nice forgiving set that will allow you to develop consistent ball striking at proper distances which will build confidence and a repeatable swing and ball trajectory....you can work the ball with almost any set if you learn how....for me I'll take dead straight every time.

Here's how the iron sets stack up, in terms of clubhead design.

...........MP57....X22Tour...AP2.....TourBrnr
3-iron
Loft ....21º.......21º.....21º........20º
Offset . 0.161º..0.125...0.160º....5.7 mm
Bounce 1º......2º.........0º.........? ?
9-iron
Loft ....43º.......42º........43º........41º
Offset .0.114º..0.085.....0.090º....3.3 mm
Bounce 5º......7º..........7º..........? ?

* TourBurner has strongest loft of sets. If you're sold on stronger lofts - from MP57 post - you wouldn't have to bend these.
* X22Tour has lowest offset, a property which helps square clubface and get ball up. Also has highest bounce, less likely to dig in. (Not counting TourBurner for bounce... not sure how TM millimeter compares to degrees)

--------------

You would also have to consider what shaft you wanted in these four models of clubs. This would change the properties of ball flight also.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey, I have the Burner 09' irons and they are hard to fade the ball with. Usually, when I set up for a fade, my ball flight is dead straight. If I set up normally, I get a draw of about 10 yards because of the amount of offset. The only thing I don't like about them is the offset makes them so draw biased that I can't hit good fade shots when I need to get the ball around trees, etc.

They are great irons for distance, forgiveness, and feel...but not for "working the ball" where you want it.

In my Grom:
R9 460 Aldila RE-AX 60g Stiff
07' Burner 3 Wood Stiff
09' Rescue 2 and 4 Stiff
09' Burner 3-PW Superfast 85 Stiff 09' Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel and Oil Can Wedges 50,54,60SeeMore Putter Pro V1 2.0 SG 2.5

thanks Tiger and everyone else, I appreciate your responses! So I see the difference in offset and lofts between the tour burners and the regular burners, but how bout center of gravity and forgiveness?

How do those compare. The TM site says both are forgiving, etc, etc... would like some real world opinions...

Thanks guys!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

kleraudio,

For forgiveness comparison, go to Ralph Maltby's website. You can look up the 2009 Maltby Playability Factors for these irons (measures comparative forgiveness, ability to get ball up, etc).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Jeez Tiger, you really know your stuff! Im gonna check that out in a bit and get back to ya!

Thanks!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Also note that in two weeks introduces the R9 and R9TP irons, maybe these are what you want. You can see them at TGW.com now and at the site later in the month.
Are you going steel or graphite? I went steel on the irons I carry.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

I checked out that ralph maltby site, pretty interesting but its like a foreign language to me!

I basically just looked at the overall numbers to get a feel for what is more forgiving, the Tour burner vs the Burner irons are basically the same.......

So the only difference is slightly bigger lofts and less offset??

Thanks!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Keep in mind that the Burners are a progressive set. The short irons have smaller heads and less offset and the offset and head size progressively get larger as you move up to the mid irons and increase again as you get up to the long irons. This makes them very diifferent from the tour burners....

If the Progressive plan of the '09 Burners is not to your design you can opt to use rescues in lieu of the long irons and alter the long iron component of the '09 Burners. I did and am pleased.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
Early Titelist Cavities

If the Progressive plan of the '09 Burners is not to your design you can opt to use rescues in lieu of the long irons and alter the long iron component of the '09 Burners. I did and am pleased.

I've added a 3 Rescue to the bag....it's killing me that I haven't gamed it yet. I'm really looking forward to the first chance on a course.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

If you look up the specs you will see something odd. The three rescue has the smallest head of the rescues.
My clubs allow me to make shots far beyond my handicap rating and encourage me to believe I can improve.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
Early Titelist Cavities

Note: This thread is 5301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!