IGNORED

Inside Down the Line putting stroke

deronsizemore
Note: This thread is 4011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Isn't this just a new twist to Dave Stockton style of putting?

In the Bag:
Driver:Adams Speedline F11 9 degree RIP Gamma 

3 Wood: Adams Fast 10 15 degrees Voodoo shaft
Hybrid: Irons: Mizuno MP59 Sensicore  XStiff

Wedges: Cleveland Gun Metal 52 56 degree

Putter: Rife: Belly Barbados Tropical

Ball: Titliest Pro V 1

Isn't this just a new twist to Dave Stockton style of putting?

Could be; I'm not sure. I've watched some videos in the past where Dave is giving lessons but I can't recall him saying anything about the actual stroke. I know about the loft he likes his putters to have, where to likes his hands and shaft positioned at address, how it lines it up, etc. But, not sure about the actual stroke. Would love to see something on this if you have a link.

Wouldn't surprise me as most everything in golf is a new twist on a old technique.

I assume they have the IDL at stores like Golfsmith where you can try it out. I'd like to play with it some before buying.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I'll look for a link but Dave Stockton in his book talks about delivering the putter from the inside trying to put a draw spin on the ball. He also talks about the putter chasing the ball in the hole. One of the things that was lost in my move 4 yrs ago to our new home was his book.

In the Bag:
Driver:Adams Speedline F11 9 degree RIP Gamma 

3 Wood: Adams Fast 10 15 degrees Voodoo shaft
Hybrid: Irons: Mizuno MP59 Sensicore  XStiff

Wedges: Cleveland Gun Metal 52 56 degree

Putter: Rife: Belly Barbados Tropical

Ball: Titliest Pro V 1

deronesizemore,,i stand corrected about stricker has 2 "sets" of putting swings,,,

turns out i was mixing it up with what jack nicklaus said on page 130, golfdigest dec 2009, (in the same magazine of the stricker article) ...

"Over my career i was sometimes a sq to sq putter, sometimes an open to closed putter, and sometimes a closed to open putter.

in 1972, i recall winning seven times---including the masters and us open--using the three different patterns of stroke. but i didn't know which stroke i would use until i got to the tournament venue and checked out the green conditions.

when putting square to sq--on true and fairly fast greens--i swing the putter away from the back through the ball without any rotation of the face.

when putting open to closed--which i usually use on poor or slow or grainy greens--i allow the putterface to rotate slightly clockwise on the backstroke and counterclockwise through the ball.

my closed-to-open stroke produced a soft or gentle sort of impact for extremely fast putts. "

any idea what closed to open is about? like a pingpong underhand?

any idea what closed to open is about? like a pingpong underhand?

I assume so. Seems weight to me but who am I to question Nicklaus' stroke?

Just seems like it would be really difficult to be consistent. I can't get consistent with on stroke let alone three different ones depending on green speed.

• 4 months later...
Inside Down The Line is by far the best putting training aid. I bought the combo package which has the short & long track and putting mat. Used the advice of Angel Cabrera's coach, Charlie Epps (on the DVD which comes with the tracks) of putting 60 putts each day for 60 days... I shot my lowest round this past Sunday, 77 with only 11 putts on the front 9 and TEN One putt greens The Short track is excellent for putts inside 6 ft. I take it to the course fits right in my bag. the longer track is used with the putting mat but can also be used for long range putts on the practice green this aid is WORTH EVERY PENNY !!

Steve DiBari

Haven't used the ITL product, but employed the Putting Arc a couple years ago to completely revamp my wretched stroke. The arc also grooves an inside-square-inside method, very simple. Worked wonders for me, and I was starting from worse than scratch (i.e. with 20 years of ingrained bad habits).

Sean

• 3 years later...
Note: This thread is 4011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!