IGNORED

How Much are your Balls Worth?

Note: This thread is 5041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How much do you pay for a dozen balls?

• Less than $10
    • $10 to $20
    • $20 to $30
    • $30 to $40
    • $40 and Up

I'm usually a Pro-V1x guy. I had to switch to the Wilson Staff Tx4 balls recently because of an unfortunate 5-week layoff from golf (too much business travel). I had to rediscover my golf swing and began losing balls more than before. The Wilson balls go for about $30 through a golf retailer and they're 4-piece. They're definately no ProV or Callaway/Nike, but they do perform pretty comparable. I noticed I got a few yards more off the tee and a tad more spin than the ProV1x. It's a good tour type ball at a more affordable rate. I've since gone back to the X's and hopefully never have to look back.

Scott Sandlin
ROLL TIDE!

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10.5 deg, Stiff
Fairway: Taylormade R7 Steel 13 deg, Wilson Deep Red II Distance 18 deg, StiffIrons: Titleist 735.cm 3-PW, DG S300, +1.5", +4 deg upWedge: Titleist Vokey SM 53 deg and 59 degPutter: Scotty Cameron Santa Fe 33"Ball: Titleist...

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the golf ball is just as important as your clubs... its part mental part reality. I can't play the ProV1 because its so soft my spin rates go way up, hence why I play the ProV1x... but to take golf seriously and use cheap balls is a contridiction to the game...

For most serious mid to higher handicappers, that is just not true. To really appreciate one ball over another requires solid contact on a consistent basis. It makes no difference what you hit if its on the heel or toe. For most "serious" middies golfers I think they would come out better with a distance ball over a spin ball. Few people I see at any level can really impart the show stopping spin we see on TV no matter what ball they play and further distance is much more of an asset.

I've tried Titleist DT So/Lo ($40), Callaway HX Hot ($40) Srixon AD333 ($21) & Srixon Soft Feel ($20) but late this year i tried the Noodle Ice (White, not the colored ones) and really liked them. I hit them just as good, and i like the clear look. ($19). I'm not a great golfer, & the more expensive balls don't seem to react any differently than the cheaper ones for me. Maybe as i improve i will notice a difference.

The Bag...
TaylorMade RBZ HL Matrix Ozik Flex M
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 
Cobra Baffler DWS 2/R 18° Aldila NV-HL65 S
Cleveland Halo 3i 22°

Ping G2 steel 5HL,6,7,8,9 & PW 

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 54,56 & 60° or Nike SV Tour 50°

Yes! Sophia blade

$39.99 for Pro V1 or V1x new - I always play new, I've tried used balls and didn't like the inconsistency. Some of the balls can be water logged or weathered. Around the greens there isn't a better ball IMO. When it's wet up here in the NW I play Nike TA2 LNG since it doesn't make us much of a difference but in the summer, PRO V1's definitely. I've tried the Nike One Platinum - nice ball but I still like Pro V1's better.

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

i've been using the nike ignite for the past couple months and i've been happy with them thus far. it's the first ball that i've been consistently using (using whatever prior to that) and it's made a big difference in my game. so much so that i dropped about 5 strokes off my handicap within the first 5 weeks. i've never tried the pro V1's as they carry a pretty steep sticker price. i'm going to get fitted for a driver in the spring and will get fitted for a ball. has anyone tried both the ignite and the pro v1? i'm really wonder how they compare.

: Callaway FT-3 w/ UST V2 67S
: Callaway X 15* w/ Fujikura Vista Pro 70S
: Callaway Big Bertha Fusions 3-AW w/ Nippon NSPro 990GH Uniflex
: Callaway 56* & 60* w/ DGS300
: Odyssey White Hot XG #3: Titleist Pro V1

Recentlywork with Jim (Tuson Pin Club Fitter) on the launch monitor He said I was playing an incorrect ballfor me (Pro V 1X). He suggested a softer ball for those of us with slower swing speeds. I tried the Bridgestone 330 S and hit it the same, maybe a little father, distance. I cannot play a hard ball such as Top Flights or Pinnicale

I was told the same thing. If you have a slow to mid swing speed, you cannot compress the higher end balls enough to "get" to their core, and take advantage of their capabilities. Unless you think it's a cool factor to be seen hitting Pro V1's, into the bush, it's probably a waste of money. The high end balls here in Manitoba (center of Canada for our American friends) are about $60 dz. The Srixon AD333, Soft Feel, or Maxfli Ice, are all around $20 dz. My cool factor is not that expensive, but for lower handicap players, there is no doubt an advantage to a better ball.

The Bag...
TaylorMade RBZ HL Matrix Ozik Flex M
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 
Cobra Baffler DWS 2/R 18° Aldila NV-HL65 S
Cleveland Halo 3i 22°

Ping G2 steel 5HL,6,7,8,9 & PW 

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 54,56 & 60° or Nike SV Tour 50°

Yes! Sophia blade

• 5 weeks later...
One of the first things I do this year is to find a ball I like and hit well.

I pretty much use whatever I have in the bag or find on the course, but would like to find one that works well for me.

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

I found Bridgestone 330's under $30 + tax. I haven't noticed any distance loss over the Pro V1X. I also tried the Pro V again andsee no difference in distnace but have noticed more backspin when I hit greens (seldom).

I found Bridgestone 330's under $30 + tax. I haven't noticed any distance loss over the Pro V1X. I also tried the Pro V again andsee no difference in distnace but have noticed more backspin when I hit greens (seldom).

I switched from ProV1's to the B330's about half way through last season and haven’t regretted it one bit. I was looking for a ball that had the feel like the ProV, but with not quite so much spin, and a smaller price tag.

I play the B330S if I'm looking for a little more spin or the B330 if the greens are too soft or its windy etc. Like you I haven’t noticed any loss in distance, but I do see a spin difference between the B330 and the ProV1. Some times I would spin the ProV too much, and even though its fun to watch the ball back up 20ft, it just means you have a longer putt home most of the time. From what I've seen the B330S backs up about 1/3 of the distance the ProV was. Plus the money I'm saving over the ProV's isn’t too shabby either
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

• 2 months later...
I play whatever I can find--it typically belongs in someone else's shag bag, and I'll play it with pride.

I spend almost nothing on balls, and I'm one that you find scrounging around in the deep rough for lost balls. I'll come back 5 minutes later with a pocket full of mangy, gnarled, decrepit old balls.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I play proV1's and X's, Generally I buy them new and not X-outs but lately I have picked up 3 doz boxes of X-outs and they perform wonderfully. For 25 bucks they can't be beat.

In the bag:
Great Big Birtha II Stiff 10 degrees
Hibore 15 degrees, V2 shaft stiff
X-forged 3-pw
Vokey Oil Can 256-10, 260-08 34in Tess ProV1

I play whatever good ball I can get for 20$-30$ if I have to buy them. I had a friend who worked at a high class country club get me pro v1's and I'd give him pro v1x's that I would find at my club.

My game isn't good enough that I can say I will hit the wedge 10 feet past the pin and spin it back. As a matter of fact most of the time when I hit it past the pin it sticks and when I hit it short it spins back. Thats why I was buying Hogan Hawks for a while and now I've been getting Maxfli Black Max's. Its all good. Last week I was playing DT Solo's and spining them back off of wedges. Never thought that would happen.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

At my local range we have a practice "hole", its 180 yards long and you can do anything from the rough to the tee box. On wet days I have spun back beat to hell range balls, such a good feeling.

In the bag:
X-forged 3-pw

I buy DT Solo's and ProV 1's from Knet.
Used golf balls.

I buy the "Grade A" balls, which I can't really tell apart from the "Mint" balls.
I buy about 7 dozen for $100.00 and that easily gets me through the year. The best way for me to describe how they look, is that: You can tell they are not new, but you can't tell that they are used either.

Almost every ball has a logo on it of some sort. Since I have used this website, I laugh a little on the inside when I see people paying retail.

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Stock Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Aldila NV Stiff
7 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Stock Steel
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

I don't mind paying retail because I do it so rarely. My parents buy a lot of my stuff for me which is wonderful. I'm sure I'll appreciate it a lot more when Im on my own but I don't take it for granted now.

In the bag:
X-forged 3-pw

Note: This thread is 5041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!