IGNORED

Burner Plus vs. 09 Burner

Note: This thread is 5070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm going to pick up a set of new irons soon. Currently I play a 10 year old set of Super Steel Burners w/ graphite shafts.

I've demo'd a few different manufacturers but keep coming back to the Taylor Mades. My question is, for a player such as myself with a 20+ handicap, which set would be more suited for me? I am taking lessons over the winter and hope to improve my swing, but currently my ball fades quite a bit.

Also, I struggle hitting my 3-4 irons. I like the idea of the hybrids that are only available in the Plus set.

Any suggestions?

What I did was buy my irons last. First I got a driver (I was uninformed and I think I made a bad choice but I can't hit it well for my life atm), then I got hybrids. Now the 3&5 hyrbids REALLY changed my game. I can hit the ball 200-210 with the 3 hybrid which is a huge plus since my driving was struggling. That leaves par 5s reachable in 3 even after a sub 200yd drive. before the hybrids it was a hackfest for me trying to get to the green on a par 5 in less than 5 strokes considering I couldnt hit anything longer than a 6 iron with good accuracy.

I too was struggling badly with the long irons. The Sasquatch hybrids are amazing. Every single person who has hit mine is always blown away. They are forgiving, accurate, and long. They are the best clubs in my bag by a long shot.

When I bought the slingshot irons w/ stiff shafts I lost 15-20yds per iron. I used to hit irons really long (ie: my 2 buddies are using 6 iron on a certain par 3 and I'm hitting an 8 or 9) but now I'm in the same range as them.

Take a look at the SQ hybrids, they are ridiculously nice and I'm not sure how you could ever be sorry about buying one/two/or three.

As far as irons go, I think the best iron for the 20+ handicap is the Taylormade r7s . They are in the price range I like, they are RIDICULOUSLY high sellers, and they really feel smooth. I was between those (r7s), slingshots, and callaway x18s or x20s, and I think I made the wrong choice.

Try those out, or if you got the cash, the new R9s are in stores now as well.

In my
Extreme Sport bag:
FTiq 10° Stiff Flex Driver
906F4 Fairway 15.5°
SQ 3/5i Hybrids 21°/26° AP1 S300 4-W SV Tour 54° Vokey Oil Can 58° Nike iC 20-10A Blade Putter"The only Pro-V that I use is my shampoo." - Me

I swung both the Burner and Burner Plus irons, along with a lot of others while looking for new clubs. I went with the Burner Plus, 4I to AW, I added a TM 3H.

I needed a set of irons I could swing now and improve slowly over time. My plan is to grown into a set of cavity back irons in a few years if I get to that point.

I guess my main concern with going to the Plus model is tht if I improve the amount I plan to, will I outgrow the Plus very quickly?

One of the largest holes in my game right now is from 190-240. I can't hit the 3 wood or 5 wood I have (hand me downs, super flex shafts), and I struggle with my 3-5 irons. I'm constantly scrambling on long par 5's.

FIRST you may buy any irons you like, not a full set. I bought the 7-A 09 Burners and hybrids 3-6. Just because the Burner plus offers an iron/hybrid set does not mean you cannot do that with the 098 Burners. Second, remember the 09 Burners are a progressive set so they do not force you to have super game improvement irons with short irons where you do not really need super game improvement heads.

Consider going with what I did and you will have a set that will last and be playable now.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

I bought all my metals from TGW, prices on their site.
I bought my irons from Golf Headquarters after being fitted by them, $86 (or was it $82), per club, they did not care what clubs I ordered. They ordered my clubs 2* up and there was one $10 shipping charge. They emphasized that anytime I want any club a good dealer will order it for you rather than drive you to a set. I asked TGW if they would order me something and they said no. Remember I shop AT TGW here in Wichita so I get a lot of face time with them.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

Consider the Adams a7 irons. Price is good, the set comes with 3/4 hybrids, they are not shovels and you can continue playing these through being a mid-capper. Plus, since you like graphite shafts, the Axivcore in the a7s are way better than the stock graphites any of the Taylors.

R9 SuperTri 10.5*
Exotics XCG-3 4W 16.5*
Idea Pro 18* and/or 20*
i15
X-Tour 54/60PM Trinidad TP Black LDPAll in a SCB and MicroCart

How long are the par 5's that you are 190-240 out on your 3rd shot? If you are trying to get on in two with a club that you might hit wayward, you should layup to a comfortable distance where it will guarantee you a par.

Check out the Adams Idea Pro 3-PW, the 3 and 4 come as graphite shafted hybrids and the 5-PW come in steel shafts. They are considered "player irons" according to Adams but I don't them hard to hit. If you put in the time, you should be able to grow into these nicely.

« Keith »

I'm usually that far out after a miss hit either off the tee or on my second shot. If I play off the tee well, I am in a position to get on in two if I had a club that I could hit that distance. I typically drive between 260-280.

If you want to get those yards back go for 09 burners......the lofts are really strong. Burner plus irons have huge soles on them aswell, kinda hard to look at if you ask me, but maybe you don't mind that. 09's have a more compacted look ,(compared to the plus) with a ton of forgivness. That would be my choice......

Also, for the hybrids, you could just purchase the set 5-PW....

Vaporlight
09' Burner Driver 9.5 stiff
3DX Utility 3w and 5w Aldila NV stiff
3DX Ironwood 19 degree Aldila NV Stiff
i5 Irons - 5-PW X-Tour Forged Vintage 52+58 Degree Wedges Circa 62 #1 ( just put it in the bag) Tour i

So I demo'd a few more clubs and I keep coming back to the burners. Swung both the regular and the plus and I really don't hit the two very differently so I think I'm going with the 09 Burners.

Found a left handed demo set 4-PW + AW for around $400. Any concerns I should have when purchasing demo's? It's almost too good of a deal to pass up....

So I demo'd a few more clubs and I keep coming back to the burners. Swung both the regular and the plus and I really don't hit the two very differently so I think I'm going with the 09 Burners.

as long as you can see they still got some years on them and arent heavily demo'd.. then i say go for it if your sure those are the ones you like.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

• 8 months later...
i tested the Burner 09's, the Burner Plus and the Nike SQ's. The burner 09's definitely felt the best in my hands and gave me the biggest smile when i hit them - not a very scientific answer but what did you expect from a limey? :D
In my M9 Cart Bag:
Driver: MD Superstrong Ti460
Hybrid: Burner Superfast Rescue 3H/18*
Irons: Burner 09 4-SW (inc AW)
Putter: Spider Monza Balero

Note: This thread is 5070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!