IGNORED

Wie's Folly

ragontona
Note: This thread is 6478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
You can not ground your club or improve your lie by touching anything in the back swing. That is what she did and was penalized for it. Doesn't matter on the down swing but she brushed the moss on the back swing and that resulted in the penalty.

Yes, that's been established.

I was told by a pro that the tour pros are tested, I believe once a year on the rules and approximately 40% pass. They just have a limited knowledge of the rules and thats why the courses have officials running around everywhere. Remember when the Pro(can't remember his name) put the towel down and improved his stance. Not allowed! TV has brought the rule book into play big time!

Stadler. And no, to the best of my knowledge, pros don't have to be tested. I remember reading a story about how Annika attended a class (around the time she removed chunks of a divot and got penalized earlier this year).

Which, from another angle, just happens to show that even the best woman golfer in the world doesn't know the rules.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In all seriousness, if we are going to compare prodigies, let's look at Tiger v/s Michelle. I remember hearing numerous comments from broadcasters about Tiger's knowledge and grasp of the rules - whether it deals with movable obstructions, getting relief, etc. Forget for a second that he has

Actually, just read this post. Did a little digging, and didn't have to dig too far. Tiger was assessed a two stroke penalty at the Wachovia Championship just last year when he (along with the help of his gallery) moved a fence that the PGA had deemed an immovable object earlier that week. Apparently, he tried to move it himself, it didn't budge, so the fans helped and ended up breaking the fence. All week long, players had been getting relief from the fence, but Tiger was assessed the penalty for moving it. The two strokes ended up dropping him out of the Top 10, and he finished 11th for the week.

This was just last year, so Tiger was 29, and had been playing in tournaments longer than Michelle Wie has been alive. Point being -- nobody is immune to this, no matter how long they've been playing, and no matter how well versed they may be in the rules. Erik mentions this in his post, but I'll reiterate... Annika Sorenstam attended a rules workshop , and was assessed a two-stroke penalty when she improperly moved a divot at this year's LPGA Championship. Karrie Webb, her playing partner, called her on it. Annika's response during post-round interviews was basically, "I made a mistake." Stuff happens. But Wie critics are far too eager to pounce on every misstep along the way.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

heck, if i was playing in a pro tourney i would most definitely call over a rules official for everything. just to be on the safe side. even dropping from a cart path, anything, i wouldnt risk getting a penalty for something stupid.

the funny thing is, is that if it was some other random person in the women's british open (or is it the women's open championship?) no one would even mention the penalty, or they would just say oh thats a bad break. so a bit of a double standard if you ask me.

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

Yes I agree their are some rules WE don't like and they should remove them, the pro's should get together and go through the rule book pick out some of the rules to change or omit and take it to the rule commitee to change.
Remember the stymie rule when you opponet did not have to mark his ball,move it or finish so you could putt and if you hit their ball while putting is was a penalty

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

• Administrator
Yes I agree their are some rules WE don't like and they should remove them, the pro's should get together and go through the rule book pick out some of the rules to change or omit and take it to the rule commitee to change.

I don't think there are any rules I would change, and a few whiny PGA Tour pros will not get the USGA to change their rules (though the "Tiger boulder" thing did happen to change one, if I remember correctly...).

Here's my Trap Five article on the Five Dumbest Rules , though. Note that I don't agree with all that's said in that article - many of the rules there were suggestions from others.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It seems inconsistent that a bunker is a hazard, but you can be penalized for touching sand on your backswing, yet in a marked hazard (red or yellow), contact with tall gras or bushes is not a penalty as long as the club is not grounded prior to the swing.

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

Here's an odd stat I found:

Adding up the ten best cumulative scores for the first three women's majors along with the prize money gives the following: Player Cumulative Score Cumulative Prize Money # 1. Michelle Wie 841 $ 568,833 # 2. Se Ri Pak 842 $ 517,000 # 3. Annika Sorenstam 846 $ 670,174 # 4. Karrie Webb 851 $ 631,645 # 5. Pat Hurst 852 $ 445,794 # 6. Lorena Ochoa 854 $ 209,014 # 7. Mi Hyun Kim 855 $ 286,491 # 8. Julie Inkster (tie) 860 $ 158,048 # 8. Soo Young Kim (tie) 860 $ 143,427 #10. Paula Creamer 863 $ 150,124

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

Actually, just read this post. Did a little digging, and didn't have to dig too far. Tiger was assessed a two stroke penalty at the Wachovia Championship just last year when he (along with the help of his gallery) moved a fence that the PGA had deemed an immovable object earlier that week. Apparently, he tried to move it himself, it didn't budge, so the fans helped and ended up breaking the fence. All week long, players had been getting relief from the fence, but Tiger was assessed the penalty for moving it. The two strokes ended up dropping him out of the Top 10, and he finished 11th for the week.

Ragontona - point taken. I really thought Tiger had not been penalized as a pro.

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

• Administrator
It seems inconsistent that a bunker is a hazard, but you can be penalized for touching sand on your backswing, yet in a marked hazard (red or yellow), contact with tall gras or bushes is not a penalty as long as the club is not grounded prior to the swing.

Why? Sand = ground.

Remember the stymie rule when you opponet did not have to mark his ball,move it or finish so you could putt and if you hit their ball while putting is was a penalty

As a snooker player myself, I say bring back that one back. It would add another dimension to the game ....

. OK, maybe just for match play.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 6478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!