IGNORED

Optimum Bounce on a lob wedge?

Note: This thread is 3584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And have more fat shots.

True.

That's why I went for the middle and 7 degrees seems perfect. I can open the clubface nearly fully and not skull a single shot. and it's hard to hit a fat shot with it too.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

my 58 is 7 degrees but I find that I'd rather use my 54 when the ground is wet. I will not be able to play the same low checkers but at least I'm sure I'll get the ball on the green instead of risking to hit it 20 yards short. Since I got my two wedges recently I am not too confortable with them but I can still hit a variety of shots. Seven degrees fits my course because it's very hard in the summer yet soft in the winter. Depending on the conditions I would play something between 4-10 degrees.

For people struggling with skulled chip shots, the best solution might be to learn not to use the hands to try to scoop the shot, just learn to hit the ball with a descending blow with the shaft leaning towards the target at impact and let the loft do its thing. Switching to a lower amount of bounce won't necessarily solve the problem, nor even improve it, and one could easily hit it fat or skull it quite often with a lower bounce wedge if the technique is poor. Once the technique is improved it might then also make it easier to determine which bounce works best for the particular individual.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

Bob Vokey would tell everyone here the more bounce you get the better.

I agree. I recently took a beating on trading a virtually new low bounce lob wedge for a 14 degree bounce 58 degree loft wedge. I'm much happier with the 58/14 !!!!!!!

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

What is the standard bounce for Vokey's? The guy at the golf shop today said 10, do the people in the know on here agree (Erik) lol?

9.5º TaylorMade R9 TP VooDoo XNV6 | TaylorMade R9 TP 13º 3W & 19º 5W Both with Fujikura Motore F1 85 | Mizuno MP-57 DG X-100 (3-PW) | Titleist Vokey 52º, 56º, 60º | 34'' Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 | The Cardinal Club [73.9/135]

I'm not sure where the whole idea of ultra low bounce lob wedges came from. ...

In the St. Louis area, we tend to have courses with "tight lies" around the greens much of the year. (In a wet summer, we get thin grass/fungus in low spots - ball sinks down and sets on dirt.) Some locals say they prefer a low-bounce LW because of this.

In November, I was at the driving range and another golfer showed me his Cleveland CG12 LW with 60* loft and 4* bounce. I watched his set-up, and then he let me hit a few shots. I hit some good ones off semi-tight lies with uneven grass coverage. But, I'm not sure I want to carry one.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 years later...

I've been flubbing a lot of my shots with my Vokey 60* loft and 8*.  Of course, I skull it when I overcompensate.  However, when I do make a clean shot, it's awesome. I'm starting to think that it might have more to do with the actual lie than my swing (wishful thinking, eh?). My local course does not have very many tight lies. It's mostly fairly soft. Is that the problem? In other words, does my wedge lack enough bounce for me to use it as a versatile wedge because of the soft lies?

I looked up the bounces offered on the Vokey website. I have the 60.08 M, but now I'm having buyer's remorse because I think I should have selected the 60.11 K. Any advice? Thanks.

I went with the K grinds for the spring and early summer here in NY because the ground is soft.  As I understand bounce and grinds, you want more bounce to avoid digging in soft ground, especially if you are naturally a digger.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That 60.08 M grind might be a little finicky in the softer turf.  The 60.11 K grind might work somewhat better for you in the softer conditions.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

I don't know what the rest of you're set make-up looks like, but a lot of folks who have trouble with 60* lob wedges find happiness with a 58 instead.  I put a good bit of mileage on a 58/12 lob and had good luck with that combo before switching to SCOR and giving up worrying about bounce.  If you like Vokey's perhaps you could find a Titleist fitter to help you select a loft and grind that works for your swing?  (IMHO you can't get a proper wedge fitting hitting off a mat so you'll need a fitter that works off grass and sand.)

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Note: This thread is 3584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!